FC 635 vs Surtees 610

Page  <1234>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muzzfishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2020 at 7:55pm
Muzzfishing View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Joker Joker wrote:

Originally posted by pompey pompey wrote:

Is the 610 Surtees the old 5.8 ? They look small compared to the older ones. If that is the case there may be quite a size difference. Perhaps a Surtees 650 might be a closer comparison?

I met up with another boat for a trip at the BP in Warkworth and had an equivalent sized 4.95 surtees alongside my genuine 5 metre boat an FC500 and honestly the Surtees would have fit inside.

Yes, take a tape measure along with you, some manufacturers take resizing/remeasuring to an artform.  
You forgot to tell them that the FC 500 is now a 535.
And yes the new 610 is the same as the old 5.8 except longer same as the 575 is a longer than the old 5.5s.
As far as measurements go on the side of the boat its up to the buyer to see what they are paying for. Whether the number says 5,6, or 7 its irrelevant.                                                                                  Surtees Boats come with a 10yr warranty not that you will need it.
    A Good Skipper Keeps the water on the outside of the boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote yknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2020 at 9:11pm
yknot View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Look can be deceiving, put my 5.8 alongside 6.1 barcrucsher, very minimal difference.
What makes it look, bigger is the tandem trailer. Mate has a 5.8 on a tandem trailer , again the boat looks bigger. Might be biased, surtees
Those that say it can't be done are being overtaken by those doing it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2020 at 11:28am
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Muzzfishing Muzzfishing wrote:

[
You forgot to tell them that the FC 500 is now a 535.
And yes the new 610 is the same as the old 5.8 except longer same as the 575 is a longer than the old 5.5s.
As far as measurements go on the side of the boat its up to the buyer to see what they are paying for. Whether the number says 5,6, or 7 its irrelevant.                                                                                  Surtees Boats come with a 10yr warranty not that you will need it.

The FC535 has a completely different stern to the FC500, with a portofino transom and boarding platforms. The old 500 also had 3mm sides, the 535 has 4mm. FC didn't just re-label the 500 a 535.

It's certainly the manufacturer's prerogative to use whatever size they want for marketing purposes (LOA versus another method). It is just interesting when the exact same boat suddenly grows 10-20cm in the marketing.
That's different to a boat in a manufacturer's new range being longer through changes to the transom or bow.

Either way, we're off thread. As the owner of a comparatively small runabout, I'd love to head out to Little Barrier in either boat you mention at the top! 

It's interesting to see the various signatures of each manufacturer. One Good Friday, we were returning from the Far North when everyone else was heading north. There was a steady stream of boats - every third vehicle, it seemed - and we got really good at spotting Extreme, Surtees, Ramco, Stabi etc.

i went out to Little Barrier with JW in his Northside Adventures boat - a custom 7.5m Surtees - and it was a great craft, certainly handled the heavy chop on our way home very well. It'd be worth asking him about his experiences so far with his Surtees, particularly the ride in open seas.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coutta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2020 at 12:57pm
Coutta View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

On the advice from a couple of FC 535 owners I bought one just before the lock down. I only managed four trips out of Tauranga and apart from a charging issue on the brand new Merc which is still unresolved,I'm pretty happy with it. I had (and still do if anyone wants to buy) a 620 Senator. OK, I've lost my shade and enclosed shelter but have gained more fishing room, way cheaper running and ease of launch and retrieve. I really like simply walking up to put the pick down instead of crawling through a cabin and up a hatch. While I haven't had it in anything narly, I've found it handles as well and it far drier than two Stabies I have owned of similar size. I wanted and easy to handle, easy to tow and economical fishing boat and its what I've got. I've never been in a Surtees so can't compare. I also don't get into brand **** fights.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2020 at 7:16pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I'd sea test any boat once twice thrice for what you do Jake.

The original 5.5s were pretty good boats.
I'm not sold in the other Surtees.
Generally disappointing rides.

Boat brands have some in there stables that work well.
The rest modified up,or down are not always as good.

So back to basics.
Research as you are doing now.

And when your list is more refined do as I suggest above test.
You have to do more than one in different environments.

Forget brands....

Look at boat design, construction quality.
Then ability to modify to fit your needs.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote letsgetem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2020 at 9:32am
letsgetem View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Getting a sea trial - really has to be in a high wind sea, otherwise you wont find out how it feels when its ****ty. That's hard to do, as the seller probably will want to trial it now, not later when you want.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bigfishbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2020 at 10:16am
Bigfishbob View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by MATTOO MATTOO wrote:

I'd sea test any boat once twice thrice for what you do Jake.

The original 5.5s were pretty good boats.
I'm not sold in the other Surtees.
Generally disappointing rides.

Boat brands have some in there stables that work well.
The rest modified up,or down are not always as good.

So back to basics.
Research as you are doing now.

And when your list is more refined do as I suggest above test.
You have to do more than one in different environments.

Forget brands....

Look at boat design, construction quality.
Then ability to modify to fit your needs.

That might be the best advice I've ever seen you give Mattoo! Wink
www.waikatosportfishing.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Bigfishbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2020 at 10:18am
Bigfishbob View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by letsgetem letsgetem wrote:

Getting a sea trial - really has to be in a high wind sea, otherwise you wont find out how it feels when its ****ty. That's hard to do, as the seller probably will want to trial it now, not later when you want.

Needs to be both ****ty and Calm. My boat surprised me in the calm, was very average initially, before I adjusted engine height and added trim tabs.
www.waikatosportfishing.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2020 at 10:00am
Joker View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

If you get a sea trial in the FC boat make sure that you test the lock in ballast up front in a head sea. On my FC560 locking on 200kg right up front makes the difference between travelling at 18mph to be able to travel at 25mph without bangs. This made all the difference late last year when travelling back from North Cape to Houhora into a nasty head sea for 30 miles.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jakepitsville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2020 at 8:34pm
jakepitsville View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks Joker I will
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2020 at 11:49am
Otto View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Well i'm pretty much in the same boat as Schampy and currently on my second Surtees.  Had the 5.8 (now the 610) and got a 650 which is basically the old 6.1 Barcrusher.
Your welcome to have a look if your on the shore.
Haven't been on an FC but like others have mentioned some of the finishes weren't the best.
Apart from sea trails etc when looking at boats i always went and looked at the second hand boats to see how they were holding up,  one brand looked good new but definitely didn't seem to wear as well.
I'm sure Fishing Boats NZ is doing a demonstrator day soon so book in for that,  they won't cancel because of the weather.

One of the other main things i look at when buying a boat is who they are,  mate got a new boat from one dealer and luckily hes a patient guy,  i'm not impressed with there service.
Got both mine from FBNZ and service is been great,  any problem was solved immediately.

Just got this from them as well

Image Blocked - Right Click to View
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jakepitsville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2020 at 2:24pm
Platinum
Platinum

im abit confused to the change in surtees the old bar crusher 6.1 is not the 650.  My 5.5 is only 5m if measured correctly and the .5 comes from the extra bits?  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2020 at 2:52pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

See Treedoc's post on p2 of the thread. Image shows what the interpretation of LOA (length overall) is in Surtees' case. ie. appears to be from the tip of the bowsprit to the outer edge of the rail on the stern. Presumably they detail actual hull length, beam etc in their details specs online.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jakepitsville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2020 at 2:57pm
Platinum
Platinum

Im aware of length overall thing but my point is this:  I was under the assumption they have been using length over all the whole time and at never measured properly (ie my hulls 2000 and its 5.5 including the bowsprits etc, the hull is only 5 m if measured properly).  Be interesting to see if the 6.1 is LOA or measured properly. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2020 at 3:09pm
Otto View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by jakepitsville jakepitsville wrote:

im abit confused to the change in surtees the old bar crusher 6.1 is not the 650.  My 5.5 is only 5m if measured correctly and the .5 comes from the extra bits?  

Yep they did well at confusing everyone.
Schampy had all the sizes correct.
Down my drive is a 650 and a 6.1, basically the same boat.

Also why the new one is the 610 and not the 6.1.
The 610 basically being the old 5.8 which YKnot has.

Headache, i got one when looking and basically if they had explained it all when i brought the 650 i probably would have got the 700.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jakepitsville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2020 at 3:19pm
Platinum
Platinum

Well by the sounds of it, in the early days they measured how they do now, the wrong way doing LOA including all the bits.  in the 2000s until the recent change they might have gone back to measuring properly transom to top deck etc.  I doubt there has been a price change even if your getting less boat.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2020 at 8:08pm
OneWayTraffic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Easiest thing to do is ignore them and measure the LWL. That's the best indicator of how big the boat is that's easily available. One can estimate it from the Surtees site, as it has scale drawings of their boats. 
Best indication is the PPI, pounds per inch immersion at the DWL, but I'm not aware of a single NZ manufacturer that publishes that. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muzzfishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2020 at 6:41am
Muzzfishing View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yep they did well at confusing everyone.
Schampy had all the sizes correct.
Down my drive is a 650 and a 6.1, basically the same boat.

Also why the new one is the 610 and not the 6.1.
The 610 basically being the old 5.8 which YKnot has.

Headache, i got one when looking and basically if they had explained it all when i brought the 650 i probably would have got the 700.
[/QUOTE]
All, the Surtees boats have had a redesigned transom, and that is when the model numbers changed.  

A ll new Surtees models will feature an upgraded transom design promising greater safety, practicality and distance out on the water. The new design, named the Offshore Transom, which has been in development for the last year, is based on feedback from fishermen – with a few extra features thrown in. The Offshore Transom boasts increased fuel capacity, extending the distance fishermen can travel without needing to refuel. An external fuel filler in the transom also means no need to swallow fumes when it does come time to fill up. Another sought-after feature is additional battery storage space, allowing for larger electric trolling motors. Along with easier access to fuel and batteries, electrical systems are now fully enclosed from the elements, and there PRESS RELEASE: Surtees Offshore Transom game changer for new surtees A revolutionary Offshore Transom design has been added to the entire Surtees range, along with other impressive features 98 | www.fishingsa.com.au PRESS RELEASE: Surtees Offshore Transom is increased separation for the electrical and fuel systems for added safety. We moved the fuel filler to the back of the transom and then create a further separation between battery and fuel, to maintain high safety levels. For fishermen who are sick of bruised knees and cramped corners, an internal door provides anglers with extra support from inside the boat without losing the corner of the vessel. For the bigger models (610 upwards) there is also a robust built-in flush mounted passenger seat, making the most of space within the boat. The new transom also removes age old frustrations for fishermen, by providing easier access to the main vessel bung and bilge pump, and including a modified live bait tank that drains into the water ballast rather than the sump, for a cleaner, more enjoyable fishing experience. Loaded with industry-leading features, the Surtees Offshore Transom is sure to give fishermen a solid reason for upgrading their fishing vessel in 2018.

A Good Skipper Keeps the water on the outside of the boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2020 at 11:16am
Joker View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

At the end of the day just remember to take a tape measure and if you want to brag about a bigger boat then get some bigger decals made.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ecko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2020 at 9:57am
Ecko View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Further to Rozboons point I have no experience in either vessel but having seen the FC at the 2019 Boatshow I was also disappointed in the quality of the welding.

Surtees finishing from what I have seen has Lways been excellent
Page  <1234>