FC 635 vs Surtees 610

Page  123 4>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jakepitsville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FC 635 vs Surtees 610
    Posted: 04 May 2020 at 7:47pm
jakepitsville View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Weighing up these two. Seems the FC looka like a good boat and more for your money? Currently have a 5.5 surtees and wanting to upgrade. Any experiences
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Schampy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2020 at 8:56pm
Schampy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Surtees mate.
But then again im so ridiculously biased its not funny.
Seems to be some good deals going at the moment (for obvious reasons) 
I see surtees have finally put in a new black dash board so you can now flush mount ya fish finder, About bloody time.
Never set foot in an FC. They look like OK boats-Just dont have the pedigree yet. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote otdrmn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2020 at 9:12pm
otdrmn View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Have the fc535cc and had the Surtees 6.1
Both great boats for what I use / used them for.
Haven’t been out in a 6m FC so can’t comment.
Pros and Cons for both.
Every boat you buy will be a compromise of some degree just get what you can afford and be happy with it.
Surtees owners will vote Surtees and FC owners will vote FC
The 4 R's ~ Rods, Reels, Rifles, Rooting
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jakepitsville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2020 at 9:24pm
Platinum
Platinum

I guess I am asking... why would I change to an FC from a surtees. The 635 does look quite nice
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2020 at 9:30pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

get a second hand stabi.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2020 at 9:32pm
OneWayTraffic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Just from a design point of view...

Surtees have a more aggressive deadrise throughout, FC have gunnel buoyancy along with the underfloor. 

If I were blatting through chop I'd prefer the surtees, offshore I'd prefer the FC. Just seems like if you really get in the poo the foam high up is nice to have. 

I own neither, but that's my take. Can't go too far wrong with either, so consider just how much you trust the dealer, or what motor comes with it as well. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bigfishbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2020 at 9:45pm
Bigfishbob View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Sea trial them both, the Surtees traps water inside the entire length of the keel, which adds weight, but not necessarily where you want it, when you want it. The FC traps it all in a tank at the front. The FC is also wider, and I think you have more hard-top-side (if that makes sense) behind the Helm. 

I do know the FC doesn't have a bulk head between the helm and the cabin, means that two people can lie side by side in there with their feet hanging out into the helm area. I think the Surtees has a bulkhead? Whatever you do, Sea trial both though in calm and choppy conditions. The FC will be drier, but possibly a bit harder riding.
www.waikatosportfishing.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote notalloyit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2020 at 9:40am
notalloyit View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

The surtees hulls push a lot more water look at them underway they're always bow high, and don't ride as flat as the FC.
BNS Design & Print LTD 0800 733 000   for all printing needs, special rates for website members. Free freight NZ wide.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2020 at 10:22am
Joker View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by jakepitsville jakepitsville wrote:

I guess I am asking... why would I change to an FC from a surtees. The 635 does look quite nice

I would suggest Dryness, Stability and the overall roominess of the 635. The flooding 200 litre ballast tank up front is a huge asset when it turns to a crappy head on sea on the way home - this is much different to a flooding keel which the 635 has anyway.

I have the FC560 C/C and I'm absolutely sold on it. To date we have done over 700 motoring hours in 4 years and over 11,000 kilometers in it. We have taken it everywhere you could go from Auckland East and West coasts plus a number of trips to the far North. This hull has no vices and is a joy to own and fish from.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2020 at 11:18am
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The Surtees is going to have better resale if that's important to you.

I like the lines of the FC, big fan of a rising shearline.

The baitboard setup the FCs come with looks cheap and flimsy compared to the Surees option. Likewise I'm not 100% sure I'm convinced by the livebait tank setup on the FC, but these are minor considerations.

The biggest one for me? Might be an outdated viewpoint, but the welds on a couple of FCs that I've eyeballed close up were bloody terrible. Especially in less conspicuous areas, like under the extended coaming bit around the bow. Structurally probably fine, but when compared to the welds on a Surtees (industrial but consistent) you do wonder about the pride the welder took in their work.

Here's an example, look at the welds on the left hand side as it goes into the curve, it's like the welder got bored or the apprentice took over or something, may not be the case but it makes you wonder what the welds under the floor might look like:

Edit: Right click, Open image in new tab to view full size.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote edge01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2020 at 3:35pm
edge01 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I used to have a Surtees 5.5. for a couple of years. Sold it for more than I paid for it. Awesome machine.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Schampy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2020 at 5:01pm
Schampy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Rozboon is dead right. The build quality, welding and finish is superior on a Surtees.
Some people dont care. But alot do.
You could argue that the resale of some 2nd had surtees is almost too high.  Paying 65k for a banged up 610 when a new one can be had with electronics and winch for 80k seems nuts.
But what the hell.... Surtees are a great investment. If you buy new , look after her and dont sell the following year you will get alot of ya hard earned tin back.
Whats not to like.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote neil_cb125t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2020 at 5:37pm
neil_cb125t View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Seaforce is making a 7m version of their UTE......It will be unbeatable if you dont want a HT.....

Pontoon - glass - can run twins - more fishing room than ever.........
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2020 at 6:17pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Jake, perhaps you need to have a ride and experience the FC for your self.

I believe NZTurtle may be selling his machine soon, 6.1 Surt, 130Hp Honda... give him a PM.Thumbs Up
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2020 at 10:19am
Joker View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The welding quality on my 2 purchased FC boats is/was superb and many people out in the boat have commented just how good it is. Paul Senior was one of the first to comment on how good it was.

Regarding the passive live bait tank commented on previously - I dont know what the concerns are. The tank works superbly without any external plumbing nor associated battery draw. We keep up to 70 mackerel alive all day and the adjustable venturi tap allows plenty of water intake whilst on the plane with the bung open to really aerate the water and keep the baits lively. I don't see how you can improve on something that simply works really well.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2020 at 10:32am
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Joker Joker wrote:

The welding quality on my 2 purchased FC boats is/was superb and many people out in the boat have commented just how good it is. Paul Senior was one of the first to comment on how good it was.

Regarding the passive live bait tank commented on previously - I dont know what the concerns are. The tank works superbly without any external plumbing nor associated battery draw. We keep up to 70 mackerel alive all day and the adjustable venturi tap allows plenty of water intake whilst on the plane with the bung open to really aerate the water and keep the baits lively. I don't see how you can improve on something that simply works really well.

It would be timely to mention that your son (edit: and you?) are apparently sponsored by FC Boats.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Motorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2020 at 11:02am
Motorhead View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Rozboon Rozboon wrote:

The Surtees is going to have better resale if that's important to you.

I like the lines of the FC, big fan of a rising shearline.

The baitboard setup the FCs come with looks cheap and flimsy compared to the Surees option. Likewise I'm not 100% sure I'm convinced by the livebait tank setup on the FC, but these are minor considerations.

The biggest one for me? Might be an outdated viewpoint, but the welds on a couple of FCs that I've eyeballed close up were bloody terrible. Especially in less conspicuous areas, like under the extended coaming bit around the bow. Structurally probably fine, but when compared to the welds on a Surtees (industrial but consistent) you do wonder about the pride the welder took in their work.

Here's an example, look at the welds on the left hand side as it goes into the curve, it's like the welder got bored or the apprentice took over or something, may not be the case but it makes you wonder what the welds under the floor might look like:

Edit: Right click, Open image in new tab to view full size.

Those are very poor looking welds and we all know a photo unless macro will not reveal the true extent of the finish.
I am surprised their QA inspection process passed those even if for cosmetic purposes only.
That section of weld should have been ground out and redone.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pompey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2020 at 11:58am
pompey View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Is the 610 Surtees the old 5.8 ? They look small compared to the older ones. If that is the case there may be quite a size difference. Perhaps a Surtees 650 might be a closer comparison?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jakepitsville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2020 at 1:01pm
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by pompey pompey wrote:

Is the 610 Surtees the old 5.8 ? They look small compared to the older ones. If that is the case there may be quite a size difference. Perhaps a Surtees 650 might be a closer comparison?

I chose the 610.surtees as similar money to the 635 FC. I was under the assumption the 610 took over from the 6.1 Barcrusher. In my experience all Surtees are measured LOA rather then properly. My 5.5 workmate is really only a 5m boat. The .5 comes from outboard pod.and bowsprint
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2020 at 2:28pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Reading with interest. Please keep the comments coming. Surtees and FC are on my shortlist, but behind Innovision. I was planning to pull the trigger at the boat show, but no rush now. 
Page  123 4>