Level 3 Land Based Auckland

Page  <123>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2020 at 12:41pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

10am to 11:30am Hillsborough reserve, Manukau harbour.  There were half a dozen people on the rocky point and I went a few meters up the beach and fished alongside them.  Looked like they had caught at least 3 KY before I arrived.  They were all set up with big surfcasting rods and fishing with anchovies.

I tried some squid and some salted mullet as bait and a silver and a brass spinner, but there was a head wind and the spinners were blown back.  Nobody caught anything while I was there, and I only had nibbles, so gave up at 11:30.  Wanted to have a quick look at Waikowhai Bay but the gates at the top are locked, and didn't have the energy to lug everything down to a spot that probably would have been the same as Hillsborough.  Put that down as poor fishing, but the spot looks to have some promise with no wind or a northerly.
Far Quirk - I'm goin' fishn!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2020 at 12:52pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Didn't see any police at either Okahu Bay or Hillsborough.  People seemed to be quite sensible, sticking to reasonable separation.  But whether the police would consider the rocks at Hillsborough reserve a problem, I don'r know.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2020 at 12:54pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Police probably dealing with riots at KFC.LOL

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2020 at 12:55pm
JK View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

5 or 6 kontikis working the beach here this morning and plenty of snapper and kahawai coming in by the looks
LedgeNZ LBG
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote spin king Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2020 at 1:27pm
spin king View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2020 at 3:09pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I had no luck on the fly near my house. Nice morning out still.  Good to hear others had some success.  Was very pleasant to get out anyway. Really nice (short lived) sunrise this morning as well.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Far Quirk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2020 at 4:19pm
Far Quirk View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

My last session today was to be squidding around the Orakei wharf.  However the wind looks like it will keep blowing, I'm a bit stuffed from getting up early, and other things to do.  So over and out.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Photofisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2020 at 4:45pm
Photofisha View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Have to admit to feeling like we are seeing a bit of nanny state going on here re the rocks i mean unless every man and his dog is suddenly going to go fish off the rocks at Bethells
But also inconsistency as we have been told can go surfing so for most folk especially in Auckland that's a trip out west and surely carries just as much if not more risk including the drive
Am surprised that it wasn't just fish off land but no boating etc, did Mr Gayford get his two cents in i wonder...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote deacs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2020 at 7:30pm
deacs View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Went to Muriwai this morning, saw at least one person fishing off the main rock in 2.5-3m surf, in saying that there was bunch of surfers out there in pretty dangerous conditions as surf was a mess, wouldnt surprise me if someone got in trouble out there, hope I am wrong. Fishing on a flat east coast or harbour rock would be much safer.....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2020 at 9:05am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Up te toro.. ppl spread down the ramp pontoons, anouther couple on the beach. We tried the beach and a little further around..
 Water clear as , no one got hardly a bite.
 Couple birds searching  nothing doing anything thu.

Some nice  home made venison patties on the BBQ with salad/ buns went down nice.

Was very nice to be out. Sun shining water clear as.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Photofisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2020 at 10:37am
Platinum
Platinum

Exactly mate
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Photofisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2020 at 12:52pm
Platinum
Platinum

Just to add, a mate riding around waterfront just before lots of fishos off the breakwater 1 guy with about a 150mm snapper in bucket
Says you can't take that, blank stare back so likely or conveniently no understand english
This doesn't stop its contant all day everyday sadly and did tell him to call fisheries but seems a bit futile I guess
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2020 at 2:40pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Fisheries probably too busy making sure boaties are not going fishing. 
(extreme sarc)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote JK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2020 at 9:15pm
JK View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Cast a few hex wobblers and other little lures down off the spit this arvo with the lad and caught 6 KY. Saw a good ray go past and lots of baitfish jumping so plenty of activity
LedgeNZ LBG
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sanchez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2020 at 8:10am
Sanchez View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Photofisha Photofisha wrote:

Just to add, a mate riding around waterfront just before lots of fishos off the breakwater 1 guy with about a 150mm snapper in bucket
Says you can't take that, blank stare back so likely or conveniently no understand english
This doesn't stop its contant all day everyday sadly and did tell him to call fisheries but seems a bit futile I guess

Ive seen an Asian family of 5 taking all the little mussels off the rocks at Piha with paint scrapers while surfing at Piha. Systematically stripping the rocks from every living thing to make a broth or soup I guess. They were subject to a lot of verbal abuse from other surfers, some of it super ugly but they didn't even raise their heads. Didn't care. Sadly international pressure to close wet markets will probably be a similar story. This sort of thing is probably driven by the older generation. The young have to stand up and change things. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pompey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2020 at 2:41pm
pompey View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Sanchez Sanchez wrote:

[QUOTE=Photofisha]Just to add, a mate riding around waterfront just before lots of fishos off the breakwater 1 guy with about a 150mm snapper in bucket

A friend of mine was a whitebaiter at Devonport Wharf for many years. There was a hard core group of about five guys. When the Asians first started fishing from the wharf in numbers back in the mid 90's the whitebaiters would wander over and check their catch. Any snapper was kept even though they were told what the rules were. One day one of the whitebaiters wandered over and threw the undersize fish along with all buckets and rods into the sea and that become the enforcement of the rules. It happened a few times but the word quickly got out and no more undersize fish taken on their watch.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2020 at 3:07pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

All I managed was a lost jig head when I didn't open the bail arm on the little Stradic properly. That was at night after about 100 casts so I'll pretend it was fatigue and not bad angling.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2020 at 6:51pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Fisheries probably too busy making sure boaties are not going fishing. 
(extreme sarc)

Few days or so ago.. had not been out the gate for couple weeks.. to bloody busy making gardens window frame etc. So we took the old truck up the beach, grabbed a few muscles for couple nice fritters, watched the sunset and headed back to the road just before dusk ended.
Next day decide would head down to the ramp at full tide and drive the truck back and forth across it to just above the doors to wash all the sand out.
 Got there and big gate fence thingy across the road and a notice in red.. which basically said, no vaguely inferred we could, but could not fish boats etc.
 W noticed the gate section thingf at th bottom had been lifted out before and some wheel marks thru .
 Anyway as one does we discuss the pros and cons going in the same circle several times... we decided just go home lay the big tarp out and hose as usual..
Heading home, about 1/3 of the way up the country roads, a farm ute was coming towards us, as we passed there was a police car following in close as if going to pass when we where clear.. which they did.
We looked at each other, shork our heads, and at the same time said "Nahhh"   but what else would a police car be doing out down that way on a very quiet country road.

The other local ramp, just had cones that got moved by the people when they could go fishing ... park closer while they can before the boats start using again...

Oh well dinner is ready.. hard day trying to dial the gun in and teach my self how to shoot right handed...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Schampy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2020 at 7:16pm
Schampy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Jk   Have you been tempted to join the 'kontiki club' that seems to do pretty well on Matarangi beach? My old man went pretty good while he lived there.
Some nice fish.  Not my fav way to catch... but way easier than trying to launch a boat and punch through the surf or go around and cross the bar.
I always struggled to catch of either Whangapoua or Matarangi rocks with a rod, But the lads with Kontikis seemed to get a few.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2020 at 10:06pm
JK View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Originally posted by Schampy Schampy wrote:

Jk   Have you been tempted to join the 'kontiki club' that seems to do pretty well on Matarangi beach? My old man went pretty good while he lived there.
Some nice fish.  Not my fav way to catch... but way easier than trying to launch a boat and punch through the surf or go around and cross the bar.
I always struggled to catch of either Whangapoua or Matarangi rocks with a rod, But the lads with Kontikis seemed to get a few.

Maybe when I’m old and lazy but at the moment fishing like that doesn’t interest me whatsoever. Interested in seeing what they catch though - wasn’t anything much coming in today or yesterday from what I could tell.

Local rock fishing is pretty good and taken some good fish there over the years and recently before lockdown. Good time of year right now but forecast this weekend is average!
LedgeNZ LBG
Page  <123>