Tackle the economy

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tackle the economy
    Posted: 15 Apr 2020 at 9:23am
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

So who is spending up on TAS when we open up?

Straight to Gofish for me for my first softbait rod over 7ft and some micro jig hooks. Get Greg turning over some money again.

Medium term goal a trip to the Kings support local tourism.

So what is your plan?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2020 at 9:39am
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Twisting the purse string holder,seen a couple of trailer boats on T/M that would suit  her and I.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2020 at 9:41am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yep, I'll do my bit LOL

I'll buy some more softies and jigheads after the thread on here.

"Need' some more shooting/hunting gear.

Maybe a boat...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2020 at 9:58am
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Oh and might get a new kayak wagon to rust out.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2020 at 10:32am
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Way ahead of you... the old man and I went down to the local on the last day before lockdown and spent a few hundred dollars. Figured it was a good idea to give them a bit of a cash injection up front, in the hope they would still be there to re-open post-lockdown.

I see they've got the govt's subsidy though, which is hopefully enough to cover things for the time being.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2020 at 10:49am
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yeah same did. some before too
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2020 at 11:49am
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I need a new baitcaster reel. Already stocked up on terminal tackle.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2020 at 12:24pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Muppet Muppet wrote:

So who is spending up on TAS when we open up?

Straight to Gofish for me for my first softbait rod over 7ft and some micro jig hooks. Get Greg turning over some money again.

Medium term goal a trip to the Kings support local tourism.

So what is your plan?

If your after a long softbait rod try this, got one myself love it.

https://www.smartmarine.co.nz/product/10905/extrasense-nano-79-spin-rod-4-8kg?clearance=true
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 4:46pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Flasher rigs are we being ripped off??And no interested in making my own. Brought a couple of black magic 3/0 gurnard rigs,think $14 each?? now happened to be in the red shad and saw maxi something 3/0 flashers for $4.95 so brought a couple. Laid both side by side.Same colour same bead same hook. Got talking to a small tackle guy(kkb container at ramp)he had same as shops and $1 dearer than red shed.He claimed there is only a handful of hook manufacturers etc and most produce for varies brands. Stick a label of a well known brand and charge gold.

Any thoughts? anyone else looked closely at what they are actually buying
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 11:19am
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by pjc pjc wrote:

Flasher rigs are we being ripped off??And no interested in making my own. Brought a couple of black magic 3/0 gurnard rigs,think $14 each?? now happened to be in the red shad and saw maxi something 3/0 flashers for $4.95 so brought a couple. Laid both side by side.Same colour same bead same hook. Got talking to a small tackle guy(kkb container at ramp)he had same as shops and $1 dearer than red shed.He claimed there is only a handful of hook manufacturers etc and most produce for varies brands. Stick a label of a well known brand and charge gold.[DIV]
[/DIV][DIV]Any thoughts? anyone else looked closely at what they are actually buying[/DIV]

The cheap ones are **** hooks, **** mono, **** knots.

While the hook might be the same shape, try flexing it with your fingers. The hooks on the cheap ones are terrible.

But yes... even at retail, 2x $1 hooks, 50c of mono, a bit of flash and some beads (5c?) plus a couple of minutes of labour for someone to tie it all together.... there's a lot of margin in a flasher rig. But that's why I tie my own.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 12:20pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Can you tie a flasher rig in two minutes Rozboon?

I've made a few in my time & am still way beyond the two minute mark.
Reckon I should come for some lessonsLOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 2:32pm
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Uncle Uncle wrote:

Can you tie a flasher rig in two minutes Rozboon?

I've made a few in my time & am still way beyond the two minute mark.
Reckon I should come for some lessonsLOL

If I use pre-tied traces it would be pretty close to that. Mine are just 4x Surgeons knots though, one for a loop at the top and the bottom, 2 in the middle for the droppers. They don't approach the fine artistry of yours though ;)

All of that said, I saw a video somewhere (may have been Black Magic?) showing them being tied and I would say 2 minutes per rig would be slow!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote foulplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 4:18pm
foulplay View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yeah my old neighbor tied them for Black magic in his garage. Showed me the jig he used. Quite agricultural really. Bit of ply with 9 inch nails in it. Was about 2 minutes to tie. But yes hideously expensive those BM ones especially when i have seen the hooks snap.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 6:50pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I don't do a lot fishing that requires "rigs" these day, but I've always tied my own. Not to take the moral high ground, but because I have more faith in components I have selected and my own knots than something prepared in a factory. The exception being hapuka rigs because I don't do that much of this kind of fishing and there isn't cost effectiveness on doing it yourself.  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote terrafish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 8:56pm
terrafish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

MB i disagree on the puka rig. I reckon they are easier than any other ledger rig. A 3 turn dropper loop is all that is needed. If you want lumo on it then thread the beads/tube on before you tie the loop. Squid skirts, then just cut hole a little bigger and slide on before looping hook on. Figure 8 knot for swivel and same for bottom to tie breakaway sinker trace to. Three and a half minutes i reckon if all laid out ready to go for a two hook dropper. Double that, if drinking beer and talking!!!
Part time Devils Advocate, Fulltime procrastinator
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 9:15pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Maybe you're right, when I added up the cost of the components from Hooker, there didn't seem much in it. Could go with cheaper components, but the Hooker stuff is A1. I'll have another think about it. Cheers. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 10:58pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

With all this talk about 'flasher' style rigs does anyone wish to share what is the best knot to use.  
Rig 1 - same diameter mono backbone and dropper, and
Rig 2 - different diameter backbone and dropper.
I've used the surgeons knot and that seems to hold up reasonably well under load but it doesn't look like the knot used in some of the flasher / sabiki rigs I've purchased.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 11:36pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The surgeons knot is good knot and I cut loop in half and tie recurve on to that for gurnards .. heavier tackle 20 to 30 lb, and 40lb trace mind you on lighter sensitive rod more suited to 3 to  4 kg - alvey. Highly effective.

Deeper water  for puka (80lb trace) etc shouldn't  be too much different would have thought but less experience with that.. Guys hooking bass and big puka in deep water are using some serious nylon (more than  what I’d use for marlin and I go 300 lb to 400lb) on their droppers / trace so bit of different ball game. Reckon couple of bass on line can smash light nylon.. so they say. Wouldn’t know.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 12:23am
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Shane, thanks for the feedback - I crimp all my deep water rigs, usually 250lb droppers, backbone heavier again with breakaway to sinker.
The surgeons knot when tied in the loop scenario and then cut doesn't seem to have the dropper pointing vertically from the knot as the bought ones do, hence the question for input from all. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 11:16am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

My dropper ledgers, have a jig with nails in to.. tie the top loop, small for the mainline clip, 1st nail,  lay out around nails with large loop (both 3X surgens), and hook onto elastic tension at the end.
 Twist up the drooper loops.
 Slide up and lumo tube, or  whatever.
 Then dont cut off.
 Tie next small mainline loop, do again..
 Do maybe 1/2 doz.
So now you have a 1/2 doz pre tied droppers with lumo all joined together  and wind onto a old mono spool ...
 sinker end 1st.
 The last to wind on I add any plastic squid stuff and hooks.

So need a new trace.. cut off the old one, clip on the new off the spool, unwind and the snip off between the sinker loop and the next on the reel, main line loop.
  bait up drop over board... and if have time may lie to put the next hooks / plastic squid. stuff on so ready to go.

Stray line traces, pre tie with non knot on hooks .. hold and flasher or feathers whatever against the hook shaft, wind the knot on over..  The knot I wind down 6 or 7 times then back up 3 then thru the hook eye...knot holds far more secure.
 This I put on old  brought flasher foam thingyies , most are cut from a warehouse yoga pad (which also use to sharpen my knives.)  Then go into a zip lock.

Cost..
30m Fluro is what ? $25 thats approx 75c per trace.
 owner or gamaski hooks  about $1 each , 2 per trace  $2
Lumo tube bits  guess ? 30c each   60c per trace ??
Flasher  .. or use $2 shop feathers  20c if that.
 Couple plastic squid   $2 per trace? 

So very rough traces with quality hooks.. that more often than not get reused with flashers /squids etc, about $5 each...
 And since use quailty hooks, recon drop less fish, plus get re used so over all maybe $3 to $ per trace over all ???

I have no idea how much to buy similar in shops.. last looked was about $7 some yrs back...

ends of stray line rigs/ feathers etc

Thought had a pic of the ledger rig jig setup.
 Really need to be able to delete pics uploaded, get rid of duplicates and crap stuff...takes to long to go thru and find what want now..dont want to add more yet.