Bent butts - who uses them trolling?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bent butts - who uses them trolling?
    Posted: 08 Apr 2020 at 11:47am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I see value for bent butts for deep dropping for swordfish but when stripies are the staple diet for most of us, I'm not so sure.
Educate me - I have 2 bent butts that fit 2 rods but never used them.
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2020 at 12:27pm
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

have used both styles extensively and yes the bent butts are way better for fish that are under you but creating an angle will ultimately make it easier for angler.
For marlin, swords etc, i wouldnt go past a bent butt either for standup or chair applications. So much less pressure on the angler
Less chances of tip wraps too especially if using drop backs

www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2020 at 12:33pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

We always use stand-up, that's why wer use straight butts.
Never done a swordie drop but done lots of deep drops for bluenose, puka etc.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bigfishbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2020 at 1:01pm
Bigfishbob View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

That's a no from me. Frankly never had a problem with a straight butt with fish straight down myself. Can see why they'd be helpful with a fish directly below you. But that's not often the case for stripies, even blues and blacks you're most trying to keep an angle on them as well. The one thing I do like about Bent butts is having them off Stern corners, so the line from the rigger rods don't foul them, when a fish hits a rigger rod. 
www.waikatosportfishing.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2020 at 8:14pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I troll one off each corner too. Just have to have them on a short leash as they can "pop" out of the holder on a surface fish. I've changed the pin in the holder to across instead of straight for this reason. Though this causes other issues as mate couldn't get the rod out of the holder with a blue screaming off under 12k load. another issue was the bait board had to be removed during the fight on a strippy as rod a lot lower. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2020 at 9:10pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Fishb8 great question to ask and one which is needed to severely test our proverbial matter. I don’t have a yes or no answer.. but here goes.
Firstly
Run straight . I have mainly straight butt rods on the whole they are or were /are cheaper - Like offshore and killwell rods built well. One currently is a interchangeable bent.  I still have the bent butt  but it is not in use. May come in handy for swords one day. And I have run it for couple of seasons like that on SC. Unsuccessfully ... I should add.
Secondly ...
I have and could run a couple on interchangeable bent butts - but then you need multiple harness set ups ready cause they are different to have ready to go and be the same effectiveness.
Thirdly 
Alot of short lures can run fine or better off the  straight higher tow point in calmer conditions. Sambosi I fish off has flatline clips which are effective if you want lower tow points. This I have experimented with personally...  but then Roddy Hayes told me years ago if it’s right sort of lure weighted head it will be a killer .. at time was legend enki he was selling me. was great recommendation ... but have found others do the same or close to as good since.
Lastly...
I like a nice straight butt to fight on marlin standup. But hey even on 37 kg  a marlin (blue or striped)  to me is most comfortable for me standup on straight butt .. is what I’m used to I guess.
Straight can be a buggar on massive tuna when digging deep... which would likely change all thinking above, or getting blue off bottom after few hours... problem with big tuna circling is can literally screw your back. 
Anyway this is a good post, so go for gold everyone.
Might add some great reply’s above especially from Krow with different perspective and just as right. Gotta love way he runs a boat.
But on my boat obsession  we will for foreseeable future stay with being  “straight”!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote TM. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2020 at 10:42pm
TM. View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I use bent butts on all my trolling lures more for convenience than anything......they make the boat ‘tidy’ while trolling with their low profile.....clearing rods,  teasers,  throwing and retrieving baits .....wind blown slack line from tag lines while turning.....I just find it all easier to deal with, with their low profile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2020 at 10:17am
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I wonder what these are like, adjustable bent butts??

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2020 at 2:30pm
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I think on their own they cost about as much as a nice game rod. Probably fine if you have a massive budget.

Noticed Matt Watson fishes nothing but bent butts when trolling... and the rods he's using (Tiagra Ultra Nano) come with both bent and straight so it's not like he's forced to because of sponsorship.

Personally I can't see that getting the rod tip high enough for line angle is a problem with a bent butt, especially if you have the adaptor or new fandangled "twin pin" Equalizer. As mentioned above though, can be tricky around bait board/motor clearance if a fish crosses the stern, although that's just going off livebaiting Kingfish with a bent-butt.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2020 at 8:42am
mozz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Those winthrop butts are something like $350US retailDead
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2020 at 3:54pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

When we go trolling, we have 3 harness/gimbal  sets but that includes a Kilwell harness so have 3 BM gimbal sets but only 1 of them has the bent butt attachment.
Of the 4 of us, two are on the larger size and 2 slimmer. It would take a lot of messing around to be altering the waist size .
We have a 60 minute strike time and the duty angler wears their set-up. We'd need either another lower pin adapter or a new twin pin  gimbal - never seen one of them yet.I've still got an original white plate. What's the padding like on the twin pin?
I find the black plate's padding gets uncomfortable on a long fight with high drags - get visible bruises on my thighs.