Help Identifying species.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jakepitsville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help Identifying species.
    Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 9:52am
jakepitsville View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hey all. I was lucky enough to get in on the epic bite we had up here.

I have an old school buddy Sean who had been struggling to land his first Marlin, he comes in for some Chiro work every once in a while and I've been listening to epic tails of lost fish for awhile. So in suggested we fish together. Finally a window came and we both managed to cancel our respective days work. A plan was hatched the wives were ok and Sean arrived at 8am at my place, where I would have everything ready to go.

I know right such a late start? Well part of the wives been ok was for her to have ridden a horse (she trains dressage horses for a job) before I could go and it was the best I could get so off we went

First trouble we ran into was A HUGE muppetry from myself. Rushing and failed to replace the lid to my infloor tank so on arrival at the launching beach we were greeted with a bad smell, not really any viable fuel just a bad smell that for me would result in a bad day. No matter once we were safely away from the breakers a quick stop and the 3000GPHr tuna tube pump flooded the boat several times and with some scrubbing we managed to sort that out.

We did the quick run around the headland and pointed the nose of the ever reliable "Shes Gonna Sell Me" a 5.5 surtees towards some marks where previously caught fish. 15 miles later signs were good and lures deployed.
Birds were present and saurey were seen at times. As we neared my mark clearly action had been had as close to 20 boats working the well I cant even say area they were on the Mark.

We moved on to another mark and away from the circus when I decided to size Sean up in the harness and gimble. We were half way through our adjustments when pop Bang the rigger popped and the Howelllll of the makaira told us this was not another albacore but the reel deal.

The usual chaos of clearing gear endures with Sean quickly on the rod snd line steadily leaving things were looking good! Neither of us had seen the fish as we were both clearing gear so hard out, but it wasnt long before some jumps were seen. We had the fish to the boat casually as fishing a light drag in about 30 mins but it was way to green and went deep, we let the biat move away create angle the fish would rise, wind down on the line again leader in hand fish to green and tear off to the depths - repeat.

It took just over the hour to hour 15 before we had her along side. We had discussed what Sean wanted to do which was a Tag. So happy angler and after some quick measures it swam away fine.

Here's the issue. After showing the video to several very seasoned skippers they are calling it for a small blue.

The fish was 2.2m long. Diameter 140
And was very thick.

eg" />

What do you all think.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Adam Scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 12:39pm
Adam Scott View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Striped Marlin 100%,
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 2:51pm
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

stripey 100%. easiest way to define a blue is the throat latch. Blue marlin have a very short one where the striped mar
lin latch goes right back to the line where the gill opening ends( you can see this on 1st pic above)
Blacks have longest throat latch of the 3 and should never be mis identified anyway
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 5:35pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

So what are the views around the dorsal.

Or blunt head shape.

Only out of interest.

Would like to understand if these areas are discounted and why.

Considering the throat latch doesn't seem that defined.

My questions are to gain experience of why you interpret.
Valuable info here if you can show your reasoning.
Bit like maths.

And I'm thinking you might have time on your hands to educate us willing students.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 8:05pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Blue 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jakepitsville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 8:18pm
Platinum
Platinum

Very interesting.   Robbie Matthew's reckons a blue. Its measured out at 140kg but was so short at only 2.2m. Very keen to hear why guys. I also need to finalize the tag card
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jakepitsville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 8:19pm
Platinum
Platinum

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Adam Scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 9:32pm
Adam Scott View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

on a Stripey the first 3 spikes on the dorsal tend to be around the same length giving it a blunt rounded look which is clear to see in the top pic. Blues have a sharp dorsal. Throat latch is the other clear indicator. Plus the bottom jaw is too long for a blue. Nice fish tho well done.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2020 at 12:33am
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Stripey

Some may enjoy reading this post from almost 10 years ago.

https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/marlin-id_topic52780_page1.html
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2020 at 1:18pm
Marligator View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Bit late into this conversation, but I am with Adam on this, it is just a butterball of a stripey, that throat latch is a dead give away, based on length but also the colour for blues is a brownish grey colour and quite mottled. Being so fat it would have smoked up amazing and also fried up well, but also glad to see it swam away.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote brmbrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2020 at 2:21pm
brmbrm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Its a fish, I think.  A big one.  Been so long since i saw one i am not sure so could be wrong. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2020 at 4:20pm