Is anyone fishing?

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hengemaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is anyone fishing?
    Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 4:38pm
Hengemaster View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Is anyone doing any fishing under lockdown? Clearly we've been asked not to go out on the water, which I understand although it's very annoying having literally just bought my first boat. They've also asked us to keep out of the water, less understandable but again accept the rationale that we shouldn't do anything that requires rescuing. Where does that leave fishing from the shore or wading a flat. Obviously we can't travel, but I have a couple of shore options in my neighborhood that my thinking is that there is no rational reason why I shouldn't fish on my own. I wouldn't be breaking quarentine, still essentially within my bubble. No different from all the people out, walking running skooting, cycling or skating, all of whom are at a substantially greater risk than I am of requiring the assistance of emergency workers. I know the spots I am thinking about like the back of my hand. The worst that can happen to me is I get wet.

What are your thoughts?

I hear and understand the thinking that if you're looking for ways round the restrictions then maybe you don't get it. I also accept that maybe given the sacrifices everyone is making, it's not that much to ask us to give up our hobbies for 4 weeks. However it feels unfair that you can go and walk on a beach but I can't fish from an empty beach. We are doing this for a specific reason to break the chain of transmission not as an arbitrary exercise in compliance and I am 100% certain that I can apply a common sense approach to fishing in a few very local locations entirely in isolation posing no risk to myself or any other citizens.

Interested in all opinions

Stay safe and well everyone
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 4:47pm
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

im resigned to the drain in the street. maybe some eels or something in there. I would say no to go near the water you never know what may happen look at that lady that went for a run in christchurch and ran off a cliff. all those other people running skating riding dont get it and would likely be the type that would complain if they got a speading ticket for 105 kmhs in a 100 kmh zone
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 4:55pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

What are your thoughts?

Our , an I take this as an assumption (Ass-U & me) to speak for most here, have been made very clear in quite a few posts and threads over the last week..
 NO!!!

And Im spending the day still finishing off the ensuite knowing that the bar is down , tides  wind are right for a trip out..
 Absolutely gutted.. not finishing and the ensuite has another day in it..

The coast guard are their for us... they deserve a break , thu still maintain essential serves.. they can spend time with their families at most important, we are not going to put our back bone hero volunteers or their families at risk
 Period
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hengemaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 5:06pm
Hengemaster View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I think you missed the fundamental point of my question. I am talking about fishing from the shore. If you required the assistance of the coastguard in that situation then covid-19 is the least of your problems.

Apologies if this has been discussed at length elsewhere on here, but I don't look at anything other than the saltfly board
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 6:05pm
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

It would be good if we could have an on line fly fishing comp but not sure how that would work???.
I sure miss my fishing I was due for aitutaki on 23 april and now the boat is ready here in auck and I cant use it . It sure is a test
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 6:10pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Has anyone specifically said a person cannot fish from the shore,providing isolation requirements were met.?

And no one would call coastguard if they were bitten by a paddlecrab.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 6:19pm
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

what about a hook in the eyeball?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Crochet Cast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 7:08pm
Crochet Cast View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Can anyone tell me how to turn off the alerts on SwellMap it seem really cruel to ping me a couple of times a day that it’s 5knots variable.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 7:49pm
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by cirrus cirrus wrote:

Has anyone specifically said a person cannot fish from the shore,providing isolation requirements were met.?

And no one would call coastguard if they were bitten by a paddlecrab.

The biggest problem for most would be getting there, the police have been pretty specific that you can't drive anywhere unless it is essential.  But if you were lucky enough to live on the beach surely you could walk there and cast a line.  As long as there was no one else near you.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 8:02pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Apparently most accidents happen at home. So you dont go out and fall down the steps and break your ankle at home..
But anything could happen out there. Asteroid strike, attack by dogs or hungry seagulls ripping you to bits trying to get your bait.
So how do commercial ,who no doubt are out there right now,get on. 
Surley they wouldnt call coastguard.

Have yet to see legislation saying you cant fish.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 8:05pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

based on the theory of possible need of help,(which i 100% get],

Surely all the DIY projects, gardening, renos, etc goin on all day everyday right now,

A frigging Skill saw[or similar],  , is gonna cause a way greater injury,requireing  a F-load of help, than any remote possibilty of problem while quietly walking a flat at dawn.

And Henge, never never ever critisise a Cyclist, your gonna open yourself a sh#t ton
of Hate,
Their the biggest nutter Cult in existence, give me Gloriavale anytimeLOLLOLEvil Smile
By Fly, Nothing Else,Just Fly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 8:17pm
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by FISHBYFLY FISHBYFLY wrote:

And Henge, never never ever critisise a Cyclist, your gonna open yourself a sh#t ton
of Hate,
Their the biggest nutter Cult in existence, give me Gloriavale anytimeLOLLOLEvil Smile

BwaaaaaaaHahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahshhahahahshahahhshahahahhahhahahahahahahahahahahahhahhahahhahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaa
You cant eat my toast fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 11:04am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

based on the theory of possible need of help,(which i 100% get],

Surely all the DIY projects, gardening, renos, etc goin on all day everyday right now,

A frigging Skill saw[or similar],  , is gonna cause a way greater injury,requireing  a F-load of help, than any remote possibilty of problem while quietly walking a flat at dawn.

I have had that thought as well.. From memory the number of home accidents from ladders, tools is a very large proportion of ACC numbers..
Watching a neighbour the other day with a large chainsaw , was quite scary at times with only ear muff.. then gets into the brush chopper...

I wonder what the ER depts numbers have been?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 11:20am
Fraser Hocks View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

And Henge, never never ever critisise a Cyclist, your gonna open yourself a sh#t ton of Hate

Did someone criticise a cyclists?  right here we go.....LOLLOLLOLLOL

Yea I suggested the same as Hedge on another forum, and the response was all but being shot at.  

Under the regulations i'm allowed to pop out on my bike for a road ride (which I have to say is spectacular at the moment, with almost no cars) which id suggest puts me in more risk of being injured than say walking a stream with a rod in my hand.  I do live a short walk from a river, but unfortunately its one of the few in this area that holds very few if any fish.  So unfortunately I'm having to abstain Cry

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote spin king Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 11:30am
spin king View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Fraser Hocks Fraser Hocks wrote:

And Henge, never never ever critisise a Cyclist, your gonna open yourself a sh#t ton of Hate

Did someone criticise a cyclists?  right here we go.....LOLLOLLOLLOL

Yea I suggested the same as Hedge on another forum, and the response was all but being shot at.  

Under the regulations i'm allowed to pop out on my bike for a road ride (which I have to say is spectacular at the moment, with almost no cars) which id suggest puts me in more risk of being injured than say walking a stream with a rod in my hand.  I do live a short walk from a river, but unfortunately its one of the few in this area that holds very few if any fish.  So unfortunately I'm having to abstain Cry

yeah my sneaky Auckland stream is just up the road... just a short cycle away
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 12:18pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

hey fraser,

the theory of few fish[in a fishery], usually means whats there is big?

same for formentioned river?

might be time for some "suburban ninja" with a #16 pheasant tail, 5lb fluoroCoolYin Yang

coming to think of it,theres a fload of options in that town.
you so lucky, lucky.
By Fly, Nothing Else,Just Fly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 10:54am
Fraser Hocks View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Ah I love your theory Adam, and that is very true for some rivers.  Unfortunately this river (the Shotover) is a large braided river that has a very steep catchment above it, so when it rains, it blasts through and cleans the river bottom to been super clean.  Means that there is little to any food source in there for the fish.  Not saying there ain't any fish in it, but I walk along it close to home regularly and iv yet to see one holding in this section. 

I do know that some very large fish go up it to spawn in the headwaters, but that's at the end of winter.  Almost nothing in it right now.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2020 at 6:15pm
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote m.d.hoffman@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 1:06am
[email protected] View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

So I can walk or jog along a beach, but not stop and cast a line while standing on the same beach.
An acquaintance went out for a jog and face planted when stumbled on the road, so much for low risk activity. Noone would physically assist of course so she had to hobble home to get herself fixed up.
COVID 19 sucks ...
The Auckland Swoffer
www.AucklandSwoffer.wordpress.com
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote m.d.hoffman@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 1:09am
[email protected] View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Presume the commercial guys are out there " harvesting" merrily away

The Auckland Swoffer
www.AucklandSwoffer.wordpress.com
Page  12>