Is anyone fishing?

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 10:58am
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

whod ever through the day it would be illegal to go fishing. Good chance to give the fish a break somewhat I guess. With current lockdowns in Aitutaki I hate to say it but they will be netting the crap out of that lagoon I guess if it only food source they got it got to be done.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 4:27pm
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I was thinking the same today Will. No tourism, no dollars. Confused
You cant eat my toast fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 5:03pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Yes, but I wonder if they even have petrol still coming in? There won't be a lot of netting out in the lagoon if petrol is being rationed. I can see that some of those GTs might end up with spears in them though.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 6:28pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

So,
'cant do anything that might put you in danger'

Right then, im expecting the police to be clamlping down on;

-Runners in the middle of the road with no high vis'
-Cyclists with no high vis, no helmets, and wearing jandals.

All of the above i experienced as i drove 10 minutes to the water this morning.

not trying to be a dick, but why is it, the moment ya put on a item of lycra your immediately aquire total immunity to any crticism or obligation,

By Fly, Nothing Else,Just Fly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2020 at 7:27pm
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

LOL heres what they are up to out one foot. caught by hand and released. it is common knowledge amongst the locals not to eat the gts especially the big ones due to Mercury levels in them.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2020 at 6:27am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

That is a great pic
I did see one of the talking heads on TV suggest that travel to the Pacific Islands will be the first international travel allowed when the lockdown begins to be lifted.
When that will be is anyone's guess.
I'll be happy just to go back to the local wharf and catch a winter kahawai under the lights
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2020 at 11:40am
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

"When that will be is anyone's guess"

Funny you say that Air nz have a few scattered flights to the cooks here and there and then from 2nd June t bookings are as normal. maybe they know something we dont. My trip on 23rd this month is obviously cancelled, have put in credit for when we are back on.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hengemaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2020 at 4:31pm
Hengemaster View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

So while some have been reporting that fishing has been specifically banned. I don't think that the updated guidance provides any more clarity about the specific situation I was describing.

This is what it says

Recreation and exercise does not involve swimming, water-based activities (for example, surfing or boating), hunting, tramping, or other activities of a kind that expose participants to danger or may require search and rescue services.

I think that again the default understanding is of fishing as a boat based activity. Hence the reporting. I do not see anything that specifically prohibits fishing from the shore in a no risk situation.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WillP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2020 at 9:45pm
WillP View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Or fly fishing for that matter :)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2020 at 9:49pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I'd give it a miss.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2020 at 8:35am
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

can ya be bothered looking over ya shoulder every ten seconds?

Full moons tend to be pretty unproductive in the shallows anyways,LOL

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2020 at 8:58am
Fraser Hocks View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yea I was crossing the bridge below my place the other day, and a guy with his wife and child were putting a kayak in. Some guy was yelling at them to stop, then next thing two cop cars screamed up, as the couple had already floated down stream.  The cops shot of in hot pursuit. Must have been the highlight of their day, as it seems there isn't much else for them to do?

Id love to pop down to the river to have a cast (even though there is next to no chance of catching a fish) but I bet id be pinned to the ground (irony much) by a full swat team if I tried.   Bloody ludicrous if you ask me, but these are the times we live in. 

Is it only me that gets the feeling the "though police" will be a thing in a few years? 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote coroben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2020 at 9:08am
coroben View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

1984 here we come!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2020 at 9:28am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

1984 here we come!

Come on .. thats been here for a few yrs now.. cell tracing , google, firefox , what you see , what you buy where you go.. cctv everywhere...
 Covid has just brought out into the open just how 1984 we really are, not cause it.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2020 at 9:34am
Platinum
Platinum

I find it hilarious that there are so many that are obsessed with following a rule set down, as appose to following the intent of what the rules are set in place to do.   I know that their are some out there that will be the first to jump on and judge someone for what they perceive to be breaking the rules, yet the same people will go to the supermarket once a day.   Sure that's is within the reg's, but its about mitigating contact with others to pass on of contract this virus.  

Me and my wife have been to the shops twice since lockdown.  We plan out our food and minimize the amount of time we could come in contact with anyone at all.  

Id love to break the rules and pop out for a fish (on my own, in a safe manner close to home), but know that someone, who was born with the lack of rational though processes would be on the phone to the police quicker that their mom tied there shoe laces for them. Disapprove

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote coroben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2020 at 9:58am
coroben View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Most people lack the ability to critically think unfortunately
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2020 at 11:15am
Platinum
Platinum

I think that we all (well mostly) have the ability to rationalize but most are analytically lazy and want to be spoon fed an answer.  

One would have though a few years ago that the internet would bring the ability for us all to have access to such a wealth of data that we could all become more critical, yet in actual fact people have done the opposite.  They tend to find the first piece of data in a search and then will take it as FACT and defend that to the death. Ouch
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2020 at 10:01am
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

LOL You Guys are Funny,

Thank you, Needed thatThumbs Up,

Its Like All the effort used on the'Tall poppy Syndrome' has overnight been transfered to the newly created'Rat On Your Neighbour Syndrome"Dead
Page  <12