Fish dinners

Page  <1 1617181920 22>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2021 at 1:13pm
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Alan L Alan L wrote:

On the topic of sashimi - wasabi. There is only one wasabi to have really. Copperfield.
You may have to google it to find a local source. there are 2 in Hawkes bay. Worth the hunt.

Do you mean coppers folly? https://www.purewasabi.co.nz/shop/

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2021 at 7:00pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Sorry - correct - you got it.
Going by memory - which ain't what it used to be. Buy that stuff - you will never buy that green stuff again. Trust me.
Regards
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote RockCrashing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2021 at 7:33am
RockCrashing View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Steamed snapper with ginger, scallions, basil and soya sauce, doused with hot oil;) 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote RockCrashing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2021 at 12:16pm
Gold
Gold

Salted Egg Yolk Prawns 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2021 at 2:23pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

They look great RC
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RockCrashing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2021 at 3:48pm
Gold
Gold

Thanks Dan, another great recipe with salted egg yolk and very easy. Deep fried fish skins (your nice freshly caught JD), deep fried pumpkin, potato wedges are also great with this recipe.

This recipe is very popular in Malaysia & Singapore, and top on my list would be ... salted egg yolk crab, yumdelicious...     
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2021 at 8:51pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Those prawns look epic,, juices running,

Bit of same o same o for me, wife lovesmsahimi,
So Trev her favourite and local yft.

For me the vege garden has been producing well.
Tonight, beans, flat beans, celariac and the best Maori potatoes I've evergrown.
My veges have been epic, 500 mm parsnips and finally the best beef steak tomatoes I've ever grown.
I've been pigging out on.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 6:17am
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Salt or No salt before cooking??
I have always given fish a sprinkling of salt before cooking.Watched an Italian Chef on TV and he is adament not to salt until serving as salt will dry out flesh while cooking?

Then watched another who said salt first and leave 1/2hr so salt hardens flesh?

So what does everyone else do with fresh fillets?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 10:19am
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I add a couple of twists from the sea salt grinder moments before cooking - I don't think it makes much difference at that point. But it's just for flavour, so probably not much of an issue to add it afterwards.
I don't add pepper, personal preference.

The argument I've heard is (with meat as well) that salting too far in advance draws moisture out of the flesh, to the detriment when you cook and eat it.

I think a more important factor is bringing the flesh up to room temperature prior to cooking. I take mine out of the fridge 30-45mins in advance and leave it on a paper towel. Pat down just prior to cooking to remove any moisture.

The physics/chemistry of the cooking process means if the flesh is cold when it hits the pan, the impact with heat shocks the outside of the flesh, constricting it; and it takes longer to cook through the cold middle, and the outside is therefore over-cooked and tends to be dry by the time the middle is cooked.

Taking fish out of the pan when slightly under-done is also a good tip, as it completes cooking right through when out of the pan 'resting' as you plate up etc.

I kind of get the point of the second guy in a different context - that when I panko crumb or batter fish, the inside tends to be very moist - more so than when fried with no coating.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 10:30am
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Same TK,I believe fish/meat needs to be around room temp or evenly through out at temp.

HaHa yes I remove from pan when still a slight raw line in middle.

Just found interesting 2 different Chefs with different views.

I personally are not fan for salt but when I do use it, normally rock sea salt.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 5:44pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Basic but the JD was so juicy like a steak!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2021 at 7:47pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Snapper BBQ in the chorizo oil was 😎
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RockCrashing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2021 at 11:57am
Gold
Gold

Both dishes look great Dan, is this communal plate or meal for one?  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2021 at 8:27pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

My albacore pasta tastes just like chicken pasta.
It had Parmesan and parsley sprinkled on top But I mixed it in.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2021 at 8:39pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Meal for one RC. I have a T Rex appetite

Looks good Shane I do like fish in a creamy pasta.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2021 at 5:30pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

BBQ snapper
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2021 at 5:26pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Those chips!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2021 at 7:35pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Third night in row of fresh snapper dinners, with my daughter doing the chips and salad and me cooking the fish. Went for egg and breadcrumb tonight.
Snapper caught land based as per c19 protocol at an old favourite spot. Also been catching my own bait off the local wharf.

Was wondering if koheru would make nice sushimi, as got one yesterday,. Oherwise might take out one of bigger tevs I spied swimming around this morning.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2021 at 7:53pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yes yes yes Shane, true blue koheru is wonderful as Sashmi as long as you have treated it right. Iced, gilled, gutted, etc.

Smoked tastes like a small kingy.

Highly recommend.
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RockCrashing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2021 at 8:22pm
Gold
Gold

Seafood Fettuccine Alfredo LOL
prawns, smoked garlic mussels, smoked salmon +...
Page  <1 1617181920 22>