Fish dinners

Page  <1 89101112 22>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2020 at 4:47pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by bazza bazza wrote:

Originally posted by Catchelot Catchelot wrote:

Originally posted by bazza bazza wrote:

Originally posted by wayno wayno wrote:

Blitzing the fish this week starting with raw kahawai done in lemon and lime juice and a Thai kingfish coconut stew/soup over Jasmine rice (had intended to make a curry but only found Thai spice mix in the cupboard, too lazy to hit the shops!).
Soon to be followed by flaked smoked Bluenose wings and smoked Gemfish on toast with brie and capers.

Keeping fingers crossed the weather will be ok on Friday to try for some gurnard and terakihi.

Nice mate recipes and pics once you have done them.Thumbs Up

I was going to do raw fish with the kahawai and then wife thought we should fry cos so fresh, but I came home to a sort of fish casserole, so simple to cook to...Clap
Not bad for someone with very limited culinary skills to the extent that rather than a kitchen ingredient thought that root ginger was a directive to form a relationship with the redhead next door !!

How did you know my neighbour is a buxom redhead Bazza?? LOL

Buxom ??????

Who said anything about being female.

Guess if overweight it could apply to either gender tho.

Whatever turns you on .... fine by me mate ! 

So, I take it from that comment you don't want her ophone number or photos then? LOL
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2020 at 5:34pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Sorry but July is my blond only month, August is exclusively brunette
Sept any dyed colour, come Oct will leave the Grey heads for you as
new freshwater season begins in Oct & before you turn up your nose at the prospect would pay to reflect on the fact that older women make the best lovers for three reasons namely :-

They don't yell

They don't tell

And They don't swell !
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2020 at 7:14pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Very wise words from thine most experienced.Embarrassed

But, I wouldn't dare mention the blue hair rinse age ladies here mate, save it for the RSA or Bowling Club.Big smile

Oh and don't overdose on the blue pillsLOLClap
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2020 at 7:56pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

taking it back to the table, some flash stuff for smudge with a jazzed up cheese on toast with red onion salmon sour cream and few spinach leaves...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 5:38pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Japanese dinner box style
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 7:46pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

gurnard tostadas courtesy of wife...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 8:04pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yours looks delicious Dan, nice variety of skills on display.. bit of Japanese influence by looks.
Mine was rather spicy, as my tostadas had plenty chilly sauce on them at my request... but I like it hot.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 8:21pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Mean Shane, we eat well aye.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Schampy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 10:20pm
Schampy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Jesus....you lads should start up restaurants. Great effort for a monday.....? Very impressed.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2020 at 8:25pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

thanks Schampy... wife would love to open a restaurant (has been looking into providing bariatric meals or recipes online ) whereas prefer my current job over washing a lot more dishes.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2020 at 4:20pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

You guys are eating well.
Love the effort in your food.

Shaneg, there's only one good place in a restaurant, it's at the table eating.
All other zones are hard graft.
Though they can be satisfying places.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2020 at 4:48pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Tried sea perch the other day, just for the hell of it. Not bad at all. If tasteless, firm white fish is your thing, you won't be disappointed. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2020 at 5:17pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good ol fish curry
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2020 at 6:33pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by shaneg shaneg wrote:

thanks Schampy... wife would love to open a restaurant (has been looking into providing bariatric meals or recipes online ) whereas prefer my current job over washing a lot more dishes.

Perhaps the answer would be to re title such a position as being a Hydro Ceramic Technician instead of a humble dishwasher !
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2020 at 7:14pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by MightyBoosh MightyBoosh wrote:

Tried sea perch the other day, just for the hell of it. Not bad at all. If tasteless, firm white fish is your thing, you won't be disappointed. 

Tasteless like Snapper or tasteless to an English palate there Andrew?

Honest question as I was bought up in Northland and we never kept SP, even the larger models.

When I went to New Plymouth and southwards... I learnt that Sea Perch was a favoured fish to keep and eat and even weigh at their fishing clubs competitions... they were also known as Jimmy Canyon and South Island name; Jock Stewart.

They are a good livey bait for Hapuku and Bass also.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2020 at 7:22pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Agree with both your sentiments Mattoo and Bazza ( dishwashing is under appreciated).
Never tried southern perch either Al as Capt Simon Blyth (from Timaru) takes em all on Sambosi on rare occasions we deep drop and get em. Probably pretty tasteless versus John Dory, gurnard and flounder... which are my 3 favourites if just doing pan fried. Not to say you can’t do them other delicious ways either. Love those subtle fishy tastes.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2020 at 7:24pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Honest question as I was bought up in Northland and we never kept SP, even the larger models.

When I went to New Plymouth and southwards... I learnt that Sea Perch was a favoured fish to keep and eat and even weigh at their fishing clubs competitions... they were also known as Jimmy Canyon and South Island name; Jock Stewart.

I would say even more tasteless than snapper. That's not a criticism, just an observation. Most people seem to prefer fish that doesn't taste of anything much. 

It's interesting because one of the YouTubers that I watch is based in California. He fishes for cabezon which isn't very different from our sea perch. They are highly regarded as an eating species over there.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Schampy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2020 at 7:28pm
Schampy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Gastronomical Hygiene Technician.= Dishwasher

As a youth I spent a bit of time being a Petroleum Transfer Engineer at  Hahai Autos then moved on to way better things when I became a Mortar Logistics Technician  ( Labourer)

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2020 at 7:39pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I would say even more tasteless than snapper. That's not a criticism, just an observation. Most people seem to prefer fish that doesn't taste of anything much. 

It's interesting because one of the YouTubers that I watch is based in California. He fishes for cabezon which isn't very different from our sea perch. They are highly regarded as an eating species over there.

We have more; Eye Brow, Orange Perches and more that I would need to get the book out.

When in Singapore we caught lots of a similar looking favourite of theirs. We gutted and gilled and it was battered and quickly deep fried and then presented with a fantastic chilli sauce. We literally chomped threw crunchy bone, tail, fins, head with only the Otolith (Ear) bones to discard out...Fantastic flavour and taste... this is why Asians love small fish... and don't understand our rules in NZ.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote RockCrashing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2020 at 12:38pm
RockCrashing View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Smoked Salmon Pie
Page  <1 89101112 22>