Fish dinners

Page  123 22>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fish dinners
    Posted: 29 Mar 2020 at 4:24pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Who is still eating it? Do you buy from supermarket? I will buy salmon and the bait. Lmao

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coochdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2020 at 5:37pm
Coochdog View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Fish meals two to three times a week at the moment as we are making do with what we have.

Honestly buy a vac packer when this is over,Fish freezes well if treated properly.

Dont wash it and dry with paper towls prior to packing.

Were sorted,Usually stock up for winter as we target the trout and whitebait more over winter and early spring.

Snapper fillets,Kingfish steaks for the weber grill,Fish cakes made from the scraps,flounder underneath and kingi wings,trout fillets for smoking.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2020 at 5:41pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I said to the wife we should get one.

Time to stop being too generous handing out free fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2020 at 6:00pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Wewill have to dive into freezer for some old smoked marlin.. at least couple of years and more recent yft from few weeks ago... got to love fish pies- white wine almost run out for me, have bit of beer also running low on tequila. Wife has massive red wine reserve but I’m not allowed as quite special bottles. Drink em while you can I say to her. To which I’m getting death stare in reply.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2020 at 6:06pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Haha 😂 yes I found a secret wine stash in my man cave. I was impressed to be honest.

Talking of fish dinner just saw Clarke Gayfords Show and he was having dinner with Jacinda. She looked quite nice compared to lately.

Kahawai tacos sound good right now.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coochdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2020 at 6:14pm
Coochdog View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Briscos,Had a robert harris one for 3 years around $100 but only when they have a sale

The bulk of our catch is shared around freinds,family neighbours,Soon as the air temps drop though hibernation instincts kick in and the stash building begins
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2020 at 6:18pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yeah I share out most of my catch.
Things will change a bit when this is done.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2020 at 6:40pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hmmm .. yep have a freezer well stocked with smoked fish.. gem, marlin , king KY snapper., muscles , scallops

But still for a quick junk food afternoon snack a tin of sardines in olive, between 2 bits wheaten bread and 3/4 of a sliced onion..

Oh there is also smoked eel t , few packs of whitebait
 All vac packed

Vac pac way to go...
We get 1/2 beast every so often
A hogget or lamb and 1/2 pig.
 Break them down into steaks , chops roasts etc
 The stuff that normally goes for mince sausages etc get cut into 'lumps' These 'lumps' are sized  so defrost ,  chop for casserole or put thru the mincer for rissoles  or thru the sausage maker as needed.
 Or swap with those who took their 1/2 of the beast and got salamis what ever made up...

OH and missus cured cuts then tells me she wants X smoke Y long at  Z temp..
Works out around $5 to $7 kg..all up. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2020 at 6:51pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Was talking about it tonight with wife while scoffing delicious beef nachos- l personally love mex food. 
Wife said while I was saying (going on about) how  I’d love fresh fillet of snapper or even better gurnard... she said -  just think how good fishery will be when we can go fishing.... basically will be left alone where I fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Buggar-me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2020 at 7:20pm
Buggar-me View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Vac pac machines are awesome. We use it for everything. Initially the thought was "we will never use it". Had to buy more bags 3 times now.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2020 at 7:32pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

+1 for vac packers.

I keep heads/frames in the freezer for freefishheads, we may end up eating them!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2020 at 9:28pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

We got a vac packer a couple of months ago. Its been great so far. Still sitting on 7 or so kg of snapper fillets. Had homemade fish n chips last night.
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote baitcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2020 at 11:36pm
baitcatcher View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

"Add me 2" for vacuum packing machines ive been using them for years,im on my second one I have the "as seen on TV" ADMAN brand machine,I've had it for over 10years ,the bags can work out quite expensive but I get good quality bags / rolls of bags from wish.com rolls up to 30cm x 15metres long work out very cheap.
I find for fish, soaking the fillets in a iced salt soultion for 15minutes,drain for 15minutes vacuum and they just last and taste so much better,I do the same with my Whitebait.i also vac pac beef steaks,lamb shanks pork,chicken,cooked chicken / fish pot pie mix,home made soups /reduced fish stock (great for risotto,fish pies,seafood chowder) and even cleaned whole Snapper.

Vinnie
dinner for my wife & I of Japanese style spiced Snapper and smoked chilli/lime Gurnard with fried aubergine,home made egg noodles,Julianne of carrot,green beans & soft boiled egg, reduction of chilli/ginger homemade fish stock.      tasted very nice.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 10:25am
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

How much longer in a vac pac thing does fish last? Never been big on freezing it. Gurnard/snapper/terries etc, always eaten fresh. Matt Watson way and 5 days in fridge, still good. But have frozen gem - smoked and pulled out 6 mth later for fish pie (couple weeks ago), just fine. Frozen a bit of BN and puka - because don't see them often. But eaten in a few weeks. So how long would you keep gurnard etc in vac pac?
Alan.
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 10:38am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

the bags can work out quite expensive but I get good quality bags / rolls of bags from wish.com rolls up to 30cm x 15metres long work out very cheap.

We have tried over the yrs many different rolls/ bags.. expensive and elcheapo.
 The best and have used for several yrs now are the KMart (cheapest) rolls... and make own bags to size as we vac pac stuff up.
 We have a sunbeam .. the one with the roll inside.. brought at discount as a revernished.
 Think the overload on the heater bar is getting a bit sensitive now, got to rest it more often when going hard out..
We borrowed several cheap and expensive ones , settled on this .. would have like to have afford something $300/400 but was well beyond our budget.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Hook-it Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 10:44am
Hook-it View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Vacuum packer , every fisher needs one. We have had fish out of freezerup to 18 months old, a bit dry, but still good to go. Fish pie is the go for the older one's. Wine, I make all sorts of fruit wines so no shortage of a very good (if i say so Myself) supply . Made 968 bottles in two years. Those that have aged for last twelve months are premo. No have not drunk that many they are sitting in the dark awaiting their turn.Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 11:02am
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

We make the bags a little bigger than needed. Then cut just below the seal when opening, wash, rinse and dry. Good to go again.
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 11:07am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

How much longer in a vac pac thing does fish last? Never been big on freezing it
 Dont know about fresh fish fillets as we have regular supply fresh fish.. all our stuff is smoke.. vac packed muscles fish etc we have found good as 2 plus yrs....if suspect, havnt had any yet.. fish pie, fritters etc.

Meat thats been out to 3 yrs plus and still good ...
If bags have lost vacuum that becomes rather suspect.

I think another factor is how clean your filleting boards are, and how clean the area is when vacuum .. hence another reason we gut at sea.
 Recommended is well shorter.. very PC from our experience.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Derek F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 11:27am
Derek F View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

We have vacuum pac, but we reckon we do just as well being careful with filleting (dry and clean) and wrapping meal sizes in glad wrap then several meals into re usable ziplok bags.
And the trouble is, if you don't risk anything, you risk even more...Erica Jong
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 1:18pm
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Wishing I had vac-packed and frozen a bunch of the Kingfish I took the weekend before lockdown. Was operating under the presumption that local fishing with my bubble was going to be OK :/
Page  123 22>