Kayak tips through lockdown

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kayak tips through lockdown
    Posted: 27 Mar 2020 at 6:03pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well we may as well talk fishing lads.
The kayak section almost runs on regional threads but I will put up some stuff so you can agree or disagree!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2020 at 6:04pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

These are the soft baiting conditions that suit the me, I love it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2020 at 6:25pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That is a conundrum. In that situation, I think it depends which is the stronger force, the wind or the current as I assume you want to be moving in the direction you cast. Having said that, I've been in some weird situations where my lure never hits bottom despite me moving towards it because of a strong current. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Buggar-me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2020 at 6:29pm
Buggar-me View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I jumped on all the forums today looking at really old posts. Being new to kayaking the photos of setups going back to 2005 were actually interesing.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Buggar-me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2020 at 6:31pm
Buggar-me View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I thought it wasn't wise to fish side on. Swell and wind making it dangerous. 
in saying that, i have been struggling to get the kayak in the right position to fish other than side on.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2020 at 6:37pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

seems like a softbait is assumed bait here Dan, and you are going to retrieve it .. is that the situation? If so carry on ... What happens next ... this where you draw a big snapper coming in to strike on the board, please draw it smaller than the kayak ... otherwise won’t be realistic.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2020 at 6:41pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

actually if casting up against a reef being blown away I’d rather like that situation, provided sink rate on bait ,sufficient jig  head weight is enuf.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2020 at 6:45pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

and how drawn would see bait drawn out  but down across current according to my 3D modelling.
Down to left on diagram where current slows and slightly backwards based on your wind drift speed ... will ensure firm hook up and constant pressure on fish depending on wind speed. 
Am I close... did I nail it. Put another one up.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2020 at 6:54pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2020 at 6:56pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

This is my ideal scenario, when the mojo is full swing in these conditions I catch them hand over fist. No rod holder second bait out business either.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2020 at 6:59pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

ahh I suspected as much looked reasonably favourable scenario.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2020 at 7:07pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

personally .. if I was clever enough to draw one (ideal scenario)  it would be no wind and very sight current slowly drifting through a shallow channel between island or mainland, casting ahead and to sides. Gardner’s inside channel between mainland and islands,  or Motoreka channel  between rock on Sth west cnr, or lot of spots like it round Mercury’s ... where waters shallow but currenty and strikes occur on surface are less than couple meters of water... where snaps run after bait like a big king... fearless and aggressive... and strike bait with back out of the water.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2020 at 7:09pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The crucial part if in 10m give it ten seconds before engaging bailarm over. When its on it won't take 10 seconds the line will fly off your reel.

When you cast lay your line as straight as possible it is basically fly fishing. The braid will tell you everything.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2020 at 7:11pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Buggar Me the advantage of no drogue is apparrent when hooked to a large fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2020 at 7:12pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by shaneg shaneg wrote:

personally .. if I was clever enough to draw one (ideal scenario)  it would be no wind and very sight current slowly drifting through a shallow channel between island or mainland, casting ahead and to sides. Gardner’s inside channel between mainland and islands,  or Motoreka channel  between rock on Sth west cnr, or lot of spots like it round Mercury’s ... where waters shallow but currenty and strikes occur on surface are less than couple meters of water... where snaps run after bait like a big king... fearless and aggressive... and strike bait with back out of the water.

Days with wind outnumber the calm ones mate lol
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2020 at 7:20pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Muppet Muppet wrote:

Better drift speed with no drogue. Advantage of drogue is not not being  pulled as quick into rocks by a large snap or king.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2020 at 7:22pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

very nice cousins rod in that photo Dan

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2020 at 7:26pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by shaneg shaneg wrote:

Better drift speed with no drogue. Advantage of drogue is not not being  pulled as quick into rocks by a large snap or king.

They get the angle on you and you are stuffed.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2020 at 8:33pm
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yeah you want to be swinging the softie into the current. I only use the drogue if it starts getting dangerous to drift without it, often in an easterly around here I end up with the drogue off the front just for safety reasons.

I do the "1 mississippi" per metre of depth thing too, when using 3/8oz on a 5" zman. Keeping the slack braid to a minimum without affecting the sink of the bait is key.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2020 at 9:23pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The crucial part if in 10m give it ten seconds before engaging bailarm over. When its on it won't take 10 seconds the line will fly off your reel.

When you cast lay your line as straight as possible it is basically fly fishing. The braid will tell you everything.

Very interesting, Dan. You've often mentioned getting smashed on the drop. If the line starts shooting, do you flip the bail arm over and strike, a bit like straylining?
Page  12>