Lockdown list: your top 3 softbaits

Page  <1 34567 10>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 8:47pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by MightyBoosh MightyBoosh wrote:

I have my go-to lures, but also like to experiment...

Very nice
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 9:17pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by The Tamure Kid The Tamure Kid wrote:

yeah, I noticed ...
Nothing wrong with collecting lures mate I’ve got a few myself. All part of the fun 😛
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 9:33pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I

Haven't got it wet yet because I'm scared the snapper are going to bite it! LOL

That's a cheap copy of the Aussie-made Chasebaits squid that Muppet has in the earlier photo (white/lumo).
But with a built in weight.

They look fantastic, for sure, and have amazing rippling action under water. But in the MyLurebox YouTube review i watched, he pulled on a leg and it snapped off. So i hate to see what a NZ snapper or reefy will do...

The new Savage Gear octopus and squid look amazing, and appear to be more robust (see Fishwisperers recent videos). Like your one above, they are hybrid jig/softbaits. Pretty expensive. But in a Sammy Hitzke vid I watched, he nailed some nice kingies on both off the coast of Brisbane.

And yes, after I got rid of Sky Sports, watching fishing clips on YouTube is my evening relaxation after the kids are in bed!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 10:22pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Those new Savage Gear lures do look amazing. The big single hooks on the octopus put me off, but I see that you can rig the squid with assist hooks. In NZ, I'd reserve these types of lure for kingfish since snapper would do too much damage. 

A few years ago, I wanted a heavy jig that could be fished slowly for kingfish, so made one. I loaded a hollow squid skirt with big sinkers. It weighed 280g and was reasonably successful.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote NZWest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 9:59am
NZWest View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I find the more natural colors work well in the shallow stuff. i also have more luck with the smaller sizes for big Snapper!

The motoroil has a nice fluro green/yellow to it. this colour has caught me countless amounts of fish.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grunta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 4:34pm
Grunta View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

1. Gulp New Penny crazy legs
2. Gulp Sapphire Shine crazy legs
3. Z Man paddle tail 5" in New Penny and Bruised Banana a dead heat.

Paddle-tails and wiggly things seem to be a bit more effective than std jerk shads but having said that 7" Atomic Sunrise and Motoroil jerkshads are always stashed somewhere in the kit.

Only issue with Gulps is that damn juice seems to find it's way out of any container you put it in and into places that it doesn't belong like tackle bags, car boots and your lunch. Anyone solved that wee challenge?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 5:29pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yep

ZMan
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grunta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 5:35pm
Grunta View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Originally posted by Muppet Muppet wrote:

Yep ZMan
Now that's what I'd expect from a muppet - that is a solution I guess but not quite what I was looking for.Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Downtown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 5:36pm
Downtown View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Have caught some decent snaps on these 4” turbo crawz in blue claw. Didn’t seem to pick up the same numbers as other baits but did get the bigger fish.

Some different style paddle tails
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 5:50pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Grunta Grunta wrote:

Originally posted by Muppet Muppet wrote:

Yep ZMan
Now that's what I'd expect from a muppet - that is a solution I guess but not quite what I was looking for.Smile

Had to make myself laugh Grunta
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 5:52pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Some cool looking lures there DT.

That is the type I would happily throw around up norf.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 6:16pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Grunta Grunta wrote:

1. Gulp New Penny crazy legs
2. Gulp Sapphire Shine crazy legs
3. Z Man paddle tail 5" in New Penny and Bruised Banana a dead heat.

Only issue with Gulps is that damn juice seems to find it's way out of any container you put it in and into places that it doesn't belong like tackle bags, car boots and your lunch. Anyone solved that wee challenge?

Thanks for joining the thread, Grant. It's been really cool to have a great chat in lockdown.

Re the Gulps, the best container I've found is this one from Plano. Got mine from Rebel when they had them. I wouldn't necessarily put one sitting upside down on the ute's passenger seat (unless it's Grant Dixon's) or your mother in laws' couch, but I have found them  pretty reliable for day to day use in the boat, and driving on long road trips etc. They've ended up on their side with no ill effects.

The containers Gulps come in are crap, hence that plastic seal they put in them for shipping. The old ones were even worse. The individual packets are hopeless too. Sistema and other containers like that are not liquid tight. Good for storing packets of Z Man, though.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Grunta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 6:23pm
Grunta View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Yep you got me Muppet and it was a good shot to be fair.  Will try those Lester  - I've tried bloody near every container that's claimed to have a seal over the years but just somehow the stuff will sneak out into the old tackle-bag.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 6:24pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The juice probably eats rubber seals.

Heard it is bad in aluminium too.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 6:25pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Downtown Downtown wrote:

Have caught some decent snaps on these 4” turbo crawz in blue claw. Didn’t seem to pick up the same numbers as other baits but did get the bigger fish.

Some different style paddle tails

I'd better check my garage - looks like you've raided my Z Mans!Smile I think I have one or two in each style you have there, though i don't have the same colours. Great experimenter's minds think alike.

I'm pretty sure I've even got that crayfish in the same colour. 

...and I have that 8" paddle tail in Calico Candy, plus a few others. JW did well on that colour in 4" Diezel Minnowz up around Mahurangi coast.

Keen to hear if you've had any luck with the 8" paddle tail, and how you rig it. I can't seem to rig it straight on the jighead. I got them to target kingies around marker buoys etc.

It's interesting how the Z Man paddle tail models vary in the size and shape of the tail and tail wrist, giving different actions. Put a 4" Diezel Minnow, a 4" Swimmerz and a 4" Paddlerz side by side, and they are very different. 

I'll post a pic of some of mine tomorrow.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 7:16pm
Titanium
Titanium

Those new Savage Gear lures do look amazing. The big single hooks on the octopus put me off, but I see that you can rig the squid with assist hooks. In NZ, I'd reserve these types of lure for kingfish since snapper would do too much damage. 

A few years ago, I wanted a heavy jig that could be fished slowly for kingfish, so made one. I loaded a hollow squid skirt with big sinkers. It weighed 280g and was reasonably successful.

That's great innovation, and a great result, mate.

Check out this video from Sammy Hitzke - fishing the Savage Gear squid and octopus.
Great action on SE Queensland kingies and got busted on some big fish of unknown variety. Near the end he mentions the issue you touched on re the single big hook - he cuts it off with side cutters and fits some assist hooks (says there's an attachment point for that).
I like the look of the squid, in particular.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Downtown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 7:50pm
Downtown View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Haven’t used the 8” a lot but have caught snaps to around 10lb on them. Have just used 7/0 mustard or headlocks jig heads 8/0 would be better but haven’t seen any locally.
These would be more of my regulars
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 8:39pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice range very similar to what I use. What method do you use and you use any sauce
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Downtown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2020 at 8:53pm
Downtown View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Always sauce. Generally have 3 sets ready to roll that will cover most methods of soft baiting but 50/50 cast up ahead and fish directly below using the sounder. Don’t drag often at all now
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2020 at 12:08pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by The Tamure Kid The Tamure Kid wrote:

That's great innovation, and a great result, mate.

Thanks. Here's a closer look just because I'm bored. I used it on the Niagara and added a big Gulp grub to each hook. Pulled out some decent snapper from 120 metres! 

Page  <1 34567 10>