Time on the hands

Page  <12345>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fish-feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2020 at 9:40pm
fish-feeder View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I found the best way is the remnants of a Gordy's fly trap bucket thrown at a garden pooping cat.....stops them coming back,for one reason or another.
dont get my personality mixed up with my attitude,my personality is me,my attitude depends on you.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote baitcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2020 at 10:43pm
baitcatcher View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

A couple of weeks back on a hot day i walked around my front yard and their it was my neighbors cat curled up under my lemon tree sound asleep,so I rushed back to my garage filled a 10litre bucket will water and some detergent,back to the front yard stealth style and let the whole bucket on target,never seen a cat scramble so fast.
No new cat sh@t on my lawns for the last two weeks. Great result so far..... just as long as it keeps out of my veges garden or 'll have to go to plan B....
Vinnie
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 5:32am
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hey Baitcatcher,looking at your garden,Hmm what stops the cat from coming over the fence?? maybe string electric wire up??
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote terrafish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 8:57am
terrafish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

At our old place we had a reasonable size vege garden and our own cats liked the look of it for there morning ablutions. Saw somewhere about citrus and as had an abundant supply of lemons, squeezed the juice out(froze it) and spread the skins around the garden. Actually worked.
Just had to change out the skins every 4-5 days but better than dealing with the ****e and torn up seedlings
Part time Devils Advocate, Fulltime procrastinator
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 10:20am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Can't say have ever had probs with cats despite quite a few in the neighbourhood.

Not so blackbirds & thrushes or any ground feeding birds however that
seem to relish digging up any plant in situ seeds eg beans for an easy meal. Answer to prob has been to cover with wire netting until they have reasonable growth at which stage the birds no longer appear to be interested. Recently having exhausted supply of netting & not being able to but any have taken to supplementing  with the likes of cray pots, fishnets etc. surprising how many things there are when you start looking.

Have found protecting "plant in place" seeds currently of particular
importance due to shortage of seeds that normally would be sprinkled liberally then thinned once emerged but now are being individually planted at the required spacing however any attrition can leave gaps which is wasted space.
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (4) Likes(4)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 10:30am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I resorted to the possum trap aftwer our blue russian female cat died after 18yrs..Get a female cat blue russian.. far more like a dog than a cat in nature and behavour..sorts cats dog out even at 18yrs..

Similar to previous post on the subject, we had a foriegn cat sneak into the kitchen during the day.. was a poorly looked after 'pet ' cat think rather hungery..
So set up a home made electric fence unit out of a 16v power pack, a 24v truck coil and indicator relay that had to put bigger conacts in cause would burn out quick.
Tinfoil on the floor.. damp tea towel for perpetrator to stand on (would not stand on the foil).
 The plastic  bowl (to insulate from the foil) of food. And the live wire stuck in the food.
 Failed..
 Did not realise why at 1st .. till filled the bowl with milk, .. the electric arch had perforated the bottom of the bowl and all the milk leaked out under the fridge..

So markII .. same bowl, on tinfoil/ damp towel as before, then the thick plastic cutting board between.

We where sitting in the lounge , could see the cat come in by relfection in the china cabinet... seaked upto the bowl, sniffed around, approached several angles before desciding to go for it.
Stuck its nose about 10mm from the food  and got zapped.
Well we see it in catroons..
 It sorta leaped vertiacal near on 1 meter, feet going at 100 miles per hr, came down facing the wrong way, straight into the cupbards.. Feet still going 100 miles/hr, tried to change direction..no tracktion on the polished rimu floors.. hit the cupboards on the other side of the kitchen, bounced off, rolled, feet still going , came back on its feet in the semi direction of the door, missed it, hit the edge, deflected trying to get to the back door at right angles, missed that into the washhouse, hit the bottom of the tub...feet now going 10 miles/ hr.. turned and hit the back door jamb bounced onto ther back steps  and rolled rambo style over the edge, finallt landing on its feet and gone... forever

When we saw the reflection  we had time to get to a position could step into the kitchen and watch.. at the same time screaming the BJ at it to make things even more traumatic.

Then there was the time firewood was going missing...and the dog pack wandering at nigh, jumping in the polyethylene lined 4500l pond.. And the dog that got traped between the back fence and electric fence one night... and the son in nappies who used to play with the fence and a long bit of leaf when thought we where not watching.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hook-it Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 10:52am
Hook-it View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Loved your post ,Steps Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 11:13am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Not so blackbirds & thrushes or any ground feeding birds however that
seem to relish digging up any plant in situ seeds eg beans for an easy meal. Answer to prob has been to cover with wire netting

I gave up on netting decades ago.. means a 4 lettered work.. work.. and most of that is folding up and getting out..5 lettered work.. space.
Cut bottoms off soda bottles.. I like the idea of condensation getting out and new leaves not stuck to the sides.. espec lettuce
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fish-feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 11:20am
fish-feeder View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That post was gold.steps!
dont get my personality mixed up with my attitude,my personality is me,my attitude depends on you.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote terrafish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 6:36pm
terrafish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Steps if you can tell a story every day like that, then 4 weeks is gunna fly. I got tears in my eyes just picturing it!!!

Bloody brilliant
Part time Devils Advocate, Fulltime procrastinator
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote baitcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2020 at 10:12pm
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by pjc pjc wrote:

Hey Baitcatcher,looking at your garden,Hmm what stops the cat from coming over the fence?? maybe string electric wire up??

Hi Paul,just saw your post.

Now where can I get those bird spikes they use to stop birds sitting on building roofs?(I can always make one with 3inch nails and some timber.

I well need to consult Steps on a electric wire set-up development/installation as he has experience in these matters.

I knew their was a good use for my Whitebait nets,I've layed bird netting on top of the screens ,& top it with my whitebait nets.(it's like a cat catcher all in one, now where did I put my little red recipe book.....
I have plenty of nets,different models from 1 to 5.
Vinnie
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2020 at 10:11am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Steps if you can tell a story every day like that, then 4 weeks is gunna fly. I got tears in my eyes just picturing it!!!

Bloody brilliant

Just need a comment here and there to set on off.
 Like the time I built a big water tank under thehouse during the Auckland water crisis..then built myself in.. then later filled up and burst in the middle of the night...

The re cycle water bed/ water bladder system from showers , W machine to toilet...that worked really damn well Got stuck in the rafters on a stinking hot day, kids had to rescue me after coming home from primary school..
 ppl think I know a lot stuff of google what ever.. nope .. just like my grandfather , think about something , then build it.. being broke helps..some go wrong , most work.. eventually.
All have some sort of funny , though sometimes dark side to them...
Life is too damn short to not to see the funny side of things , the silver linings , count ones blessings.
 Damn I sound like my grandmother  who died 1/2 century ago.
I smashed up my back yrs ago, lost my legs, still dont work right, have to figure out a ways to do simple stuff , like shave , clean teeth...And life is good.
 Been told thats why I have a rather extreme black white attitude thats not exactly diplomatic
( ??)

PS that electric fence when used a old reel of rusted mig wire would send out a spark a good 3 to 4" direct to ground... 2 to 3" if near a branch of blade of grass.

Again had issues with a pack of dogs coming thru our property
 OH yeah.. we put it across the driveway , house end.. right of way 50m long.. 2  saw horses stradled it .. a big sign be ware of electric fence, with a big arrow pointing right  to the wire about 150mm off the ground.
Where expecting guests for dinner/bbq.. summer so still very light outside.
1st car came down, went out to meet guests.. and of coarse the children all saw the sign stepped over, mother did the same... Dad.. hell no, the jolt between hs middle shin thru his jandels took him down, grabbed at a saw horse, that rolled over , he goes down on the wire, another jolt , being old rusted mig wire it snapped.
 Next lot guests come down the drive in the car get out.. 1st guest rushes out to warn them, points out the wire and the spark jumps to him as does so..

Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2020 at 4:42pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi Baitcatcher,just a sample of what chillies Harrison is growing. Going to try on lamb tonight.HaHa got plenty of paperWink

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote r20b_pp@hotmail.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2020 at 4:48pm
[email protected] View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yea boy PJC they look awesome. Big fan on the hot stuff
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2020 at 5:23pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by gumboot gumboot wrote:

Yea boy PJC they look awesome. Big fan on the hot stuff
Thanks not sure of the variety.but have chopped up a few finely,letting lamb chops soak in them with a bit of olive oil salt pepper garlic.(glad I am at home)LOL
Like hot foods except will never ever order indian hot vindalu again.Bl@#dy nice .nose ran forehead dripping. but felt a millions dollars after a good sleep.System needed that clean out.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2020 at 6:39pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Steps - priceless stuff. You could write a book.
I'm on the same page - but not that level. grand kid was asking for a set of fairy wings so they could fly. Wife said - go and see grandad  - he's got a welder. kid turns up in the shed asking for a pair of wings.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote baitcatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2020 at 11:20pm
Silver
Silver

[QUOTE=pjc] Hi Baitcatcher,just a sample of what chillies Harrison is growing. Going to try on lamb tonight.HaHa got plenty of paperWink

[/4QUOTE

Hi pjc,
What a lovely slection of CHILLIES I also like a bit of heat in my food ,it looks like you have clockwise from left to right; green capsicum,orange Havana ,red Shisito and centre looks like.scotch bonnet and long red Ani-dojo
They all have a very unique flavour, the 3 orange Havana, red Shisito and scotch bonnet use with care as they can be extremely hot.

My Italian chillies which are medium hot I grew this year from 3 plants.
Vinnie      wash your hands and please stay in your bubble 😷🤒😤 😎 .
I know the fish are on the bite!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote r20b_pp@hotmail.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2020 at 11:21pm
[email protected] View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yea I got the same deal when I ordered thai hot prawn tom yum soup. Is awesome if you feel a bit of a cold/ flu etc or bloated hahahahaha sorts it out pretty quick
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Big -Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2020 at 12:14am
Big -Dave View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Animals don't forget a decent electric shock..
I've used electric fences to keep my dog in, little tart started burrowing under the fence..it only took one jolt...
But many years ago in papakura, I constantly found huge dog turds on my back lawn. Far too big for my foxie, who was locked up in a kennel, and the road gate was shut. so I hung an electric fence unit on the clothes line, excellent earth...and ran the hot wire to a nice bony chunk of meat, wrapped it well..and sat it on a chopping board, the cat got the first whack, but at 3 am, the rottie down the road took a giant gulp, I woke to hear the howling travelling down the road...
Never came back...but some time later as I went out one evening, with my old diahatsu van and a tandem trailer, the very same rottie came belting out of its gate and straight under the front wheel of the van..a 2 and a half tonne van.. I admit I kept driving, the owners were not a very sociable lot, fairly gang related...
you can't fix an idiot with duct tape, but it does muffle them for a while...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big -Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2020 at 12:15am
Big -Dave View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Steps, your post, that sounds like a cat version of a wild pinball game...
you can't fix an idiot with duct tape, but it does muffle them for a while...
Page  <12345>