What will COVID-19 and its' legacy change?

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bricker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What will COVID-19 and its' legacy change?
    Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 4:47pm
bricker View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Methinks the drop-kicks puffing on their meth might find it way harder to get hold of the gear to feed their habit??? It will all kick-off in certain suburbs in about 4 days as withdrawal kicks-in. It might, just might, get some of them back on a drug-free road.

Any other predictions?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 4:50pm
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I predict I will be a wine buff by then end of April if I am forced to buy all my booze at the supermarket Clown
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big -Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 4:55pm
Big -Dave View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Children will learn to talk to their parents and siblings, and vice versa..

And after a 4 week binge on social media, people will be glad to be able to do something other than stare at their devices.

People will know who their neighbours are, their names, what they do, what beer they drink. ..
you can't fix an idiot with duct tape, but it does muffle them for a while...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote brmbrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 6:28pm
brmbrm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Maybe people will be more conscious and caring of the people they meet?  All in it together?

Or gone crazy!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 6:35pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Maybe not PC.. but have said for quite a few yrs now the world (figuratively speaking) needs a damn go hard out war to get ppl to harden up..

We have for the 1st time in human history had the longest period of property, peace for several generations.

Seems the concept, when down think about those who  where harder down.. like our  the parents, grandparents spent 5yrs over seas i some of the worst conditions..WW2
 Grandparents who use ferrits to go down rabbit holes to feed the family in the depression.
Grand parents who endured untold hardship in the trenches of ww2, then came home to watch loved ones die and bury loved ones from the  1918 spanish pandemic
 Those who got hit with the holichost.

Then top top it all off there where many who saw the trenches , the pandemic, had the ferrits, sent their children off for 5 yrs and manned the guns on Nth head.

These where just ordinary ppl just like us...

It is what it is.. just get on with our 4 weeks of what now should be a paradise of 'hardship'.

And how will this effect the world?
 hopefully ppl wil become more independent , resourceful, harden up, and value those things that really are important in life with more respect.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 6:57pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

It will be the same ol **** as before only more at the dole queue.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 7:22pm
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I suspect that for a lot of us the legacy of this will be a career change, or at least a change of jobs.  Lots of businesses won't survive this, even with the help being offered by the government.  That will only last so long, and the simple fact is that the whole business landscape will drastically change.  Businesses that were profitable and had a future last year will have no future.  But also there will probably be business opportunities that didn't exist here in NZ last year that are suddenly viable.

I'd like to hope that we start looking at being a little more self sufficient in terms of manufactured products.  Chasing the world to find the cheapest source of an item is fine, but we have just had a glimpse of what can happen when those supply chains break down.

One thing is for sure, nothing will ever be quite the same again.  My father saw the second world war, my grandfather saw the first world war and both of those events had a huge impact on the world.  This could be the event of this generation that has that level of impact. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 7:36pm
JK View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

It will change the way many of us work. Its a change that's been coming for a long time now but now many of us who are still working have been forced to do it for a sustained period and prove that it can be done remotely.

We are effectively running 3 business from the bach, well 2 of them. The other one is has to be on hold as it can't operate and proves to me that its not that sustainable and more of a hobby for the wife LOL
LedgeNZ LBG
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Schampy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 7:48pm
Schampy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

It will be interesting to see what the repercussions are going to be involving trade with China. This is not the 1st  virus outbreak emanating from there and I doubt it will be the last. There will be some form of backlash. Who knows in what form, but as the weeks pass and people really get a chance to digest what has really happened to the world, all the while dealing with thousands of people becoming sick and dying..... There will be some serious measures put in place to not be so dependent on one country.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 8:06pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Schampy Schampy wrote:

It will be interesting to see what the repercussions are going to be involving trade with China. This is not the 1st  virus outbreak emanating from there and I doubt it will be the last. There will be some form of backlash. Who knows in what form, but as the weeks pass and people really get a chance to digest what has really happened to the world, all the while dealing with thousands of people becoming sick and dying..... There will be some serious measures put in place to not be so dependent on one country.
Just do what a lot ww2 soldiers did on their return home.refused to buy/have anything Japanese in their homes
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 8:29pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well that didn't work did it?

They done alright since the war.

Again I think I will be right. The pigs at the top will make some moves with money the plebs meagre savings will follow and then comes the next thing that causes a crash. The pigs at the top cash in their winnings and you end up scratching heads.

Eat, sleep & repeat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mossy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 9:31pm
Mossy View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I think certainly, at least in the short-term,we will see a decrease in peoples' addiction to buying cheap crap from China. I've seen it, and probably been guilty of it myself, just buying stuff you don't need because you can have it and it's cheap.

Maybe this could see a resurgence in local manufacturing?

Hopefully (but doubtfully) China itself might reflect on what should and shouldn't constitute an edible product. I don't know how many more bat-virus pandemics, spread via endangered animals to people it will take before they realise that perhaps certain animals should be left off the menu (don't get me started on the vile wet markets and other atrocities that go on over there). 

When the dust settles there will be lots of fingers pointing to China, and it will be in the whole world's interest to ask for some assurances as to how this can be avoided in future.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mr Moritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 9:52pm
Mr Moritz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Watching ABC news. They were talking to New York doctor whose hospital couldn't supply him with Personal Protection Equipment. So in desperation he sourced it from the black market. It cost him $17,000 to get the gear. But when he went to pick up his gear the seller unlocked his warehouse and the doctor saw the warehouse was packed to the ceiling with all the equipment his hospital needed.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 10:05pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Charging New York State healthcare $7US a pop for a normally 55 cent mask. You can imagine the type behind these moves.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bricker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 11:20pm
bricker View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I'm also predicting cruise ships will take a long time to get back to the level of popularity they have recently enjoyed. 

If you have shares in P & O, I think they may be worthless for a few years.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote thebakerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2020 at 6:18am
thebakerman View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I doubt it will get many on the drug free road. Sadly, I predict most will just go through hell for as long as it takes and beat the snot out of their wives and kids.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2020 at 7:04am
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by thebakerman thebakerman wrote:

I doubt it will get many on the drug free road. Sadly, I predict most will just go through hell for as long as it takes and beat the snot out of their wives and kids.
They will do what the wife plans on doing.As our supermarkets sell beer/wine there are no liqour stores open,so her boss lives out west where pak n sav etc do not sell beer/wine so liqour store open. just her boss the money and he will bring in following day.(she is in a self contained office)so drug users go for walk,leave money,dealer walks drops off,user goes back.all via cell phones.not hard!! Being in south Ak can see this working;

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2020 at 7:55am
feeder View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I supply a lot of small businesses, many you can consider just a hobby, these will go to the wall, they exist week to week, many paying big rents for a hole in the wall, just enough room to work, one maybe two staff and have put their heart and soul into it.

Really feel for these folks.
The only bar to frequent is the Kawhia Bar
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2020 at 8:15am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

We're going to see healthcare rationing in a way we haven't seen before, more formalised and brutal for want of a better word. I think this will stay with us to some extent after the current crisis. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2020 at 8:17am
JK View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Originally posted by feeder feeder wrote:

I supply a lot of small businesses, many you can consider just a hobby, these will go to the wall, they exist week to week, many paying big rents for a hole in the wall, just enough room to work, one maybe two staff and have put their heart and soul into it.

Really feel for these folks.

Yep. Have been helping out two friends recently with their businesses - 1 quite small, the other considerably larger but both of them feeling the same pain in this current situation with cash flows and to be honest it astounded me on how tight they ran things before. In fact, it probably would have taken someone much smaller to tip them over than COVID19.
LedgeNZ LBG
Page  12>