Govt. Wage subsidy

Page  123>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MarkE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Govt. Wage subsidy
    Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 12:29pm
MarkE View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Quick question. Our flatmates boss has applied for the wage subsidy for his staff. Has the payment already been taxed or is the employer required to take out PAYE?
Sea Strike 18' Centre Console - Under Construction....Build Thread here
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote SaltyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 12:39pm
SaltyC View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

PAYE must be taken out when paid out to an employee
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 12:39pm
Legacy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I’m self employed and just got the $7k CoVid subsidy .
I asked my accountant about tax etc and was told there is no tax or gst to be paid on this money.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SaltyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 12:42pm
SaltyC View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

From IRD website:

Wage subsidies and self-isolation leave subsidies should be passed on to the employee by the employer and processed as part of the employee’s normal wages. All deductions of PAYE, Kiwisaver, Student Loans, child support etc are made as normal.

If the total wage (subsidy + employer funded pay) amounts to the same wages as previously, the pay and deductions on their payslip should be the same. Whether employers top up the subsidy with cash payments or annual leave is up to them to arrange with staff.

The employer will not be liable for income tax or GST on the subsidy received from MSD and will not be entitled to an income tax deduction for wages paid out of the wage subsidy.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MarkE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 1:01pm
MarkE View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Cheers guys, i figured the employer would most likely tax the payout.
Ive also recieved the 7k payout as a self employed trader, would have thought id be paying tax on that?
Sea Strike 18' Centre Console - Under Construction....Build Thread here
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 1:24pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

76 new cases overnight,total now 230
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Garry 23041 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 1:27pm
Garry 23041 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Would just go onto your income and if you owe tax at year end I would guess...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 2:23pm
Legacy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Legacy Legacy wrote:

I asked my accountant about tax etc and was told there is no tax or gst to be paid on this money.

Sorry I don’t think I was quite right there .
I’ve entered it as “other income “ on myob and zero GST rated .
It’s a wage subsidy so it does go into the total income .
Anyway I’ve put $1750 aside as a tax component of the $7k
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fish-feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 2:53pm
fish-feeder View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by pjc pjc wrote:

283 I think it is now
dont get my personality mixed up with my attitude,my personality is me,my attitude depends on you.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 3:10pm
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

How do you get the $7k self employed subsidy?  I thought it was $580 a week for self employed, or do they pay it as a lump sum?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 3:15pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by fish-feeder fish-feeder wrote:

Originally posted by pjc pjc wrote:

283 I think it is now

C;mon Gents we have a CV19 thread, why contaminate this one with non topic stats, stick to the subject...as you were! Ouch

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SaltyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 3:31pm
SaltyC View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yes Kevin, it is paid as a lump sum to all who qualify and claim it
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 3:38pm
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by SaltyC SaltyC wrote:

Yes Kevin, it is paid as a lump sum to all who qualify and claim it

Thanks, was a bit vague on the form I filled in.  I suppose that is far easier to administer than paying it weekly.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SaltyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 3:39pm
SaltyC View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That's right Legacy, it is  taxable in the hands of the end recipient. If you are a business and you receive it it is not income and the payment to your employee is not deductible to you. ie it has a net zero effect on the business but is taxed in the employees hands as their normal wages that it replaces would be.

If you receive it as a sole trader and are not paying it on to an employee it is taxable in your hands.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sufishent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 4:09pm
Sufishent View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Legacy Legacy wrote:

What form did you fill in?
You can never have enough fishing tackle
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 5:14pm
Legacy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

In this order -

Winz
CoVid 19 employer support
Wage subsidy
Apply for wage subsidy or leave payment
Scroll down to “self employed (no employees) application
And then you’re at the “self employed application “
It’s a simple one page form, hope that helps
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sufishent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 5:22pm
Sufishent View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Cheers
You can never have enough fishing tackle
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote wayno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 5:39pm
wayno View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

My understanding is that the lump sum covers 12 weeks. If the lockdown ends after say, 6 weeks would those who claimed and were paid out be liable to return the "unused" portion?

From my sums the $585/week equates to 83% of my normal wages (24hrs/week) so will cost employer $0, but for the 40hr/week staff the company will have to stump up around $400/week to maintain the required 80%.
Time will tell how many businesses will survive, even with assistance from their banks.

My job comes under the "essential" category, not sure what will/should happen regarding being paid for attending a call-out given the government is effectively paying me to stay home, and any call-out would be earning income for the company.
Many questions in these unchartered times....

To be old and wise you must first be young and stupid.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 6:20pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Information in this thread has been very helpful
 Thankyou all.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Keith C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 7:37pm
Keith C View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by wayno wayno wrote:

My understanding is that the lump sum covers 12 weeks. If the lockdown ends after say, 6 weeks would those who claimed and were paid out be liable to return the "unused" portion?

The wage subsidy is unrelated to the lockdown, but for the financial implications of Covid.

It, and the leave subsidy, were put into place before the Covid Alert levels were even announced.
Page  123>