Rhubarb leaves in compost

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rhubarb leaves in compost
    Posted: 24 Mar 2020 at 2:14pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

This topic may appear to be outside of the main topic ie the corona virus but actually for myself it does have a connection.
Like a lot of others given the dire situation I am trying to plant as many vegs as possible.
Am about to harvest some mature rhubarb to have with dinner tonight
along with the last of our ice cream.

The question is :- If rhubarb leaves are p0isonous to humans is it safe to use them as one of the ingredients in the compost bin.

Would be rather ironic if lucky enough to survive the virus pandemic only to be poisoned by using compost containing rhubarb leaves to grow veges.
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2020 at 2:35pm
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Go for it Bazza, they are poisonous to us but not to plants.  Fine to put in compost.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2020 at 3:36pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by Kevin.S Kevin.S wrote:

Go for it Bazza, they are poisonous to us but not to plants.  Fine to put in compost.

Thanx Kevin & Mr Google agrees with you!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mr Moritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2020 at 3:41pm
Mr Moritz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Meant to put some veggies in too, but things moved a bit too quickly. Not to worry, will do it when I can
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2020 at 4:50pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

They contain oxalic acid - which is toxic if ingested. They will break down in the compost and the oxalic most likely will too. But even so , highly unlikely to end up anywhere else. more likely to leach out - water soluble.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Schampy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2020 at 5:52pm
Schampy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Its perfectly fine... unless you get desperate and start eating the compost.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote wayno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2020 at 1:36am
wayno View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I normally let the leaves dry out a bit before adding to the compost heap.
Stripped 2 plants last weekend as was relocating a raised garden box, ended up with 12 jars of jam Thumbs Up

To be old and wise you must first be young and stupid.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote lingee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2020 at 4:57am
lingee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

the mad rush on buying veg plants is over the top,most new buyers have no idear the time it takes for the plants to mature.its not a 4 week thing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2020 at 5:10am
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

HaHa all we have is 7 different types of chilies and capsicums,the young fella mad on chillies

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2020 at 12:56pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by lingee lingee wrote:

the mad rush on buying veg plants is over the top,most new buyers have no idear the time it takes for the plants to mature.its not a 4 week thing

Yes agreed, particularly going into winter but there are several things that can be harvested after a few weeks such as Asian greens like bok chow & pak choy that leaves can be selectively picked then left to regenerated ... plus can be used raw in salads, stir fry or lightly boiled. 

Spinach also can be picked after a relatively short growing period altho need a multitude of plants as they cook away to almost a fraction of their bulk.

Have planted a fair number of broad bean seeds that are growing well but could be awhile to mature as I am told because the flowers are difficult for bees to enter they are reliant on bumble bees to pollinate & they do not come out of hibernation until spring. Apparently it is possible to pollinate using an artist brush ... no doubt a rather tedious task however most of us over the coming weeks will welcome anything that reduces boredom from having so much time on our hands.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote brmbrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2020 at 10:13pm
brmbrm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by lingee lingee wrote:

I reckon its more people thinking what they will do in the next month:  "I know, I'll do some gardening!"

Same principle i used to panic buy salmon (cold smoked yesterday) and 4 weeks worth of pinot noir, a quarter of it drunk last night and tonight....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 7:22am
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Mate of mine simmers rhubarb leaves in a pot, reduce to half, equals organic killing spray for bugs. Do it for next season
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Vundu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 8:20am
Vundu View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Banana Boat is right. My old man used to put the rhubarb leaves in a old empty 44 gallon steel drum and topped up with water. Left it for quite a while ( do not remember for how long ) to rot / ferment. He swore on it as liquid fertilizer for newly planted vegetables as well as repellent . Don't remember him spraying them, always carefully around the roots with a watering can.
PS. The drum used to stay at the furthest corner of the garden and had a lid of course.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 6:26pm
Joker View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

DIY Fish hydroslate fertiliser recipe

Now is the time to clean out the old bait freezer and put it to good use growing vegggies - this quick to make and dynamite on veggies ... you can almost hear the cabbages creaking as they grow.

https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/diy-fish-hydroslate-fertiliser-recipe_topic131548_post1766057.html?KW=#1766057