Daiwa saltist 3000

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Skuds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Daiwa saltist 3000
    Posted: 23 Mar 2020 at 12:00pm
Skuds View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey there anyone used the Daiwa saltist 3000 for softbaiting. Is it any good? I might be able to get one 2nd hand for 240nzd. Is that a good deal?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2020 at 10:52pm
OneWayTraffic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

According to my favorite expert I wouldn't. 

It's a good reel for the money, but not really much better than the Black Gold (I have a larger one:it's good) . 

Main issue is the magseal. Unless you like sending reels to be serviced, rather than doing it yourself stay away. I would not own any reel that I could not take down. 

For about the same money I'd go smaller and lighter. BG in a smaller size (I got mine off Amazon) or the new Stradic. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2020 at 7:26pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

And it depends on how much you trust the 2nd hand condition, and service history - noting the prudent warning from OWT re the cost of a genuine magseal service.

I've never really got my head around the whole magseal controversy - Alan Hawk is clearly not a fan, but there are huge numbers of Daiwa fans around the world who seem to love their reels.
I too have a BG (5000 size) and really like it.

Depending on your tolerance for weight in your reel, you may want to consider the Penn Slammer III 3500 which Greg at GoFish has for a fantastic closing down sale price. Really nice drag and quite good waterproofing.

It's quite heavy for a softbait reel at nearly 400g, but I one for my 'heavy' softbaiting and don't have an issue with casting it for a few hours. To me, having an incredibly light reel isn't much use if it doesn't feel nicely balance in hand with the rod. And very light rods don't seem to suit me.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2020 at 6:54am
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Nothing wrong with magseal reels, in fact, i much prefer it to any other type of reel i have ever used and i have used plenty
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2020 at 11:19am
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good to know, mate. What's your experience with getting your reels serviced?
I think some local places are 'authorised' to do it (ie. Daiwa has given them a stock of the magnetic fluid). But not all.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2020 at 12:39pm
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by The Tamure Kid The Tamure Kid wrote:

Good to know, mate. What's your experience with getting your reels serviced?
I think some local places are 'authorised' to do it (ie. Daiwa has given them a stock of the magnetic fluid). But not all.

True, that way only those competent reel service agents can get the magseal oil and do reel servicing. Cowboys cant get the oil, which is a good thing.
Only downside is the lack of good tradesman which is not only in reel servicing. Most trades are very short of qualified people.

www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2020 at 6:09pm
OneWayTraffic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I just prefer to be able to service my own reels. Daiwa makes good stuff no doubt about it but there are a lot of punters out there unaware pro service is essential on the mag seal reels. Alan Hawks point is that in some cases the mag seal adds no water resistance anyway so limited upside and all the downside. He likes them for top end fully sealed reels only if you live in a country with access to Daiwa service. Not all his readers do hence the warnings.

Anyway I pretty much never buy a spinner without his seal of approval. Plenty to choose from.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Clutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2020 at 1:56pm
Clutch View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

To answer the question asked at the beginning, this reel is not an impostor. It is certainly worthy of bearing the Black Gold name with all its heritage. To me the BG SW is the new best value spinning reel available anywhere today, and it will be a lot of fun to sit and watch how it will steer the entire industry in a new direction, to our benefit this time.

That's Alan's quote