Softbait combo recommendation

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Skuds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Softbait combo recommendation
    Posted: 18 Mar 2020 at 8:41pm
Skuds View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey everyone I'm planning on getting a new softbait combo. I'm looking at the roxani 3000msh and a veritas 3.0 softbait rod for 350nzd all up. Any advice?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote r20b_pp@hotmail.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2020 at 8:49pm
[email protected] View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I got a new twin power matched with a shimano diluna sb rod. Awesome combo . If you can spend the money on the reel. Can always upgrade the rod later
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2020 at 8:53pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Just wait a little heard the new Penn Clash coming out is awesome. Got the Roxani and got the old Clash and the Clash is worth the bit more dollar. Not much wrong with a Veritas.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Bounty Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2020 at 9:53pm
Bounty Hunter View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

3000 is certainly the favourite size reel for me - ive always brought shimanos because... well just because i 'spose...

and have one hung under a CDevelopments ExtraSense Nano. 4-8kg i think, and quite long - maybe almost 8ft? - it seems pretty nice - but has very small guides so ive had to practice tying tidy little joining knots!

is a lot of fun when a big snapper jumps on!
No disintegrations!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2020 at 8:44pm
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Muppet Muppet wrote:

Got the Roxani and got the old Clash and the Clash is worth the bit more dollar
thanks for the heads up, didnt know about the clash... a bit above my budget, the 2500 size clash is down from 400 to 250, will get that for my micro rod
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2020 at 10:47pm
OneWayTraffic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

What conditions are you likely to be using this rod/reel combo? All my softbait setups always got used for trout as much or more than salt. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2020 at 4:32pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

New Penn Clash 3000 ordered and my custom Cousins finished by Greg at Gofish on Friday.

Saw it today nice bit of kit.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2020 at 7:37pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

nice one Dan, the rod will be a collector's item.
The new Clash looks very cool in black.
What braid are you going to put on it?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2020 at 8:16pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Gosen of course TK 16lb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2020 at 3:42pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

All black bit of silver no bling fish slayer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2020 at 3:45pm
Titanium
Titanium

Sweet. cork handles are always a pleasure to use.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2020 at 4:45pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Got my Clash too, very nice.
Much freer to spin and very light.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WindCaller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 8:15am
WindCaller View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Mint looking stick there Muppet, that on the 702S blank? I have scoured the planet for one of those since Cousins went out of business but only managed to come up with a 703S, which is ideal for heavier applications of course, but it's not a 702 ....
BTW had a custom build in that shop for over six months but Greg never got near to doing it, so wondering how you managed???
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 1:20pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Might be because I brought a heap of Cousins rods off him!

And yeah it is a one piece 702 the last one he had.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote WindCaller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 3:05pm
WindCaller View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Nice one, and if you somehow happen across a 702 looking for a new home at a good price then I can help out for sure.
Also, about to replace a beat up Stradic 3000HK and looking at the current Sustain Xg 3000fi on sale at 299 or the Clash II. Any thoughts on these or others in the price range?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote strx7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 4:05pm
strx7 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The Sustain 3000XG is a nice reel, splashed out for one last year for a custom rod I built.  Very happy with it.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 4:51pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yeah up to you on the reel my Clash I is holding up nicely on the yak but the newer is a much nicer free spinning version.

One thing I noted yesterday is the drag is loud, maybe louder than my old Stella 4000 which is no good when I am trying to be quiet on my yak. 😂
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 5:27pm
Titanium
Titanium

That's interesting.

I've started to notice the very distinct 'signature' drag sounds of the main manufacturers. To my eares, Shimano are quite high pitched; Daiwa quite low pitched (more of a 'fizzz'); and Penn seems to be somewhere in between (or my Slammer is, anyway) and I quite like it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 5:36pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by WindCaller WindCaller wrote:

Nice one, and if you somehow happen across a 702 looking for a new home at a good price then I can help out for sure.
Also, about to replace a beat up Stradic 3000HK and looking at the current Sustain Xg 3000fi on sale at 299 or the Clash II. Any thoughts on these or others in the price range?

The Stradic FL has received good reviews - Henry Gilbey's is worth a  read after a year of use:

I've enjoyed using my older FJ and newer FK Stradics, and would definitely have the FL on my list to try if replacing them. I have one of the older Clash reels (2500) which is a very nice reel as well.
I always take my rod into a shop to try the reel on it to see how it feels. It's amazing how right a particular reel can feel compared to another you had in mind.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 6:00pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by The Tamure Kid The Tamure Kid wrote:

That's interesting.

I've started to notice the very distinct 'signature' drag sounds of the main manufacturers. To my eares, Shimano are quite high pitched; Daiwa quite low pitched (more of a 'fizzz'); and Penn seems to be somewhere in between (or my Slammer is, anyway) and I quite like it.

Just pinged it through again way way louder than the older one. Sounds like a game reel going off.
Page  12>