Hauraki Gulf Withering Away

Page  123 4>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hauraki Gulf Withering Away
    Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 1:07pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mr Moritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 1:16pm
Mr Moritz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hmm. Not me I don't fish in Waitemata. Need to put about 50% into no fishing reserve and restock and monitor what happens and then look at it again in five years.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 1:27pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Watch Bounty fishing on Sunday,interesting as it was on the penguins at the The Noisies,almost state of collapse for the gulf as the penguins are travelling up to 10k away in search of food and that is a sign of collapse according to doc staff on the show,the GULF is proberly in a worst state than we think.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote KCfishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 4:11pm
KCfishing View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

That's very worrying. What we should be doing now is:
1) attempting to recover the system in the Gulf
2) maybe even more importantly, learning from this failure and start protecting the remaining areas where the fish populations are a bit more abundant, e.g. Northland. Now, before its too late.

Fish limits is just one way of addressing these, but definitely not sufficient on its own. For example, even if we go down to three snapper, and have a family of 6 on a boat, that's 18 snapper on one trip for some. There needs to be a complete culture change, a different way of looking at this 'free-to-all' resource that the ocean has been. The pressures of commercial fishing are definitely doing a lot of damage, but we can do much better too. 

Somehow people need to realize that while the fish stocks can be renewable, under the current circumstances they've become a finite resource
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 4:13pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I fear still nothing will change.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 5:01pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

KCfishing   Fish limits is just one way of addressing these, but definitely not sufficient on its own. For example, even if we go down to three snapper,

Really?? I am going to be rude and say Bugger off.

BAN inshore trawling/seining or any other form of commercial fishing. we the reccs took a cut and an increase of size when the bloody stock was 20% and its dropped again.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (4) Likes(4)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 5:25pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I dunno, this for me is always some lobby group trying to gain power over decisions regarding the Gulf with “crisis” headlines. Seen this pop up on Facebook.

Speak for yourselves but I have no trouble finding abundance of fish.
And come across a heap of life and that is just inshore in my kayak. I can predict what the fish are doing and where they will be biting based on simply experience built on not that many years compared to some of you lot.

I think in the past you must have been able to walk to Coro on the backs of fish, dolphins and whales.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 5:25pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

All well and good dropping the rec take on Snapper but that won't help the crayfish population...or all the other environmental problems that the gulf has such as sewage and farm run off, etc...
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 5:40pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Catchelot Catchelot wrote:

All well and good dropping the rec take on Snapper but that won't help the crayfish population...or all the other environmental problems that the gulf has such as sewage and farm run off, etc...
Al if the recc take was dropped to say 3 snapper 2 gurnard 1 king and 3 ky think you will the market will flood with boats unless everyone took up water skiing.
I go out with the nephew and normally get our limit,$100 each fuel tackle food bait. 95% of fish is distributed amongst the elderly who cannot afford fish. If limit was reduced drastically might as well support comms and buy fish for elderly.

I know its a pastime but for some it is way of life to feed family,you know 6 in 16 fter 42 snapper goes along way.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote r20b_pp@hotmail.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 6:56pm
[email protected] View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

The amount of crap we pump into Auckland harbour each day / year I'm not surprised. After comparing fillets from the waitimata to other snaps around westcoast outer gulf etc I want touch the ****. And all comes down to what there feeding on . Land animals the same . Turkey., chicken, beef,fish , I know I'm getting of subject but plays a big part in the eco system
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Big -Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 7:20pm
Big -Dave View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I am a slack inconsistent fisherman. I don't go often enough, or get passionate enough, to create a system to log a d learn of what /where works.
I go out on to the worm beds, near reefs and try my luck...
If I am lucky I go home with 6 or 7 fish on the boat.
Once, in the last 12 months, we got 18 snapper.
Mind you, I don't spend heaps on huge baits or kilo upon kilo of burley.
My normal catch rate is about 5 undersized to each keeper.
you can't fix an idiot with duct tape, but it does muffle them for a while...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote Sanchez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 8:08pm
Sanchez View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Its in the uk papers too. Co ordinated media thing. Reading this and you'd think snapper are very hard to find . . . agree its not great out there everyday tho. I know it wont happen but i would love to ban trawling for three years and see what happens. . .

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/mar/11/we-used-to-be-leaders-the-collapse-of-new-zealands-landmark-ocean-park
Post Options Post Options   Likes (4) Likes(4)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 8:37pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Its great most days though.

When the Guardian is approached to run the story you know there are dark forces disguised as woke at play.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote r20b_pp@hotmail.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2020 at 11:07pm
[email protected] View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I know this won't happen but they need to stop fishing during the spawning months for that species. We all know how easy it is to catch the bigger fish during these months but should let them do there thing to increase stock levels that includes the sea rapests commercial boats. But money rules always will
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2020 at 12:46am
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by gumboot gumboot wrote:

I know this won't happen but they need to stop fishing during the spawning months for that species. We all know how easy it is to catch the bigger fish during these months but should let them do there thing to increase stock levels that includes the sea rapests commercial boats. But money rules always will
spawning is when?? as the water temp needs to be 18c and above they can spawn twice.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lowbox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2020 at 5:07am
Lowbox View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Stop sediment run-off into the gulf, (the impacts of the Sky City fire seem to be quite big in the harbour this year) ban commercials from the gulf - and stop all dredging, lower the rec limits and increase minimum size.

Reckon it would come right if we all did our bit. If we all do nothing we'll get a continued deterioration.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2020 at 6:04am
Tzer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by pjc pjc wrote:

KCfishing   Fish limits is just one way of addressing these, but definitely not sufficient on its own. For example, even if we go down to three snapper,

Really?? I am going to be rude and say Bugger off.

BAN inshore trawling/seining or any other form of commercial fishing. we the reccs took a cut and an increase of size when the bloody stock was 20% and its dropped again.

PJC your comment is just typical of a recreational who just wont let go of this vs them mentality (rec vs commercial) that is widely propagated by advocacy groups. Yes commercial fishing has a big impact on fish stocks yet if I was to read between the lines you seem to place the blame solely with them and refuse to accept the recreational dont impact on fish stocks. So I gather that the only thing you and know doubt others got from this short interview is that the HG ecosystem is in trouble purely because of commercial fishing and not from any other factors especially those that come from having NZ biggest city right on the door step of the HG
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Garry 23041 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2020 at 7:00am
Garry 23041 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Gumboot, I have had the same idea, but problem is in my mind if for instance you ban snapper fishing from Oct to Dec to cover some likely spawning periods the fishermen, private and commercial will turn there gaze on other species and decimate bluenose, kings, etc. I would love to see it go a step further and ban any fishing of any kind by anybody from Oct 1st to Christmas! Easy to police and fair to all. Paint the house, sharpen your hooks and wait...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (4) Likes(4)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2020 at 7:58am
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Tzer Tzer wrote:

Originally posted by pjc pjc wrote:

<span id="userPro4" ="msgsidepro"="" title="View Drop Down" style="-sizing: border-;">KCfishing   </span><span style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">Fish limits is just one way of addressing these, but definitely not sufficient on its own. For example, even if we go down to three snapper,</span>
<span style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">
</span>
<span style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">Really?? I am going to be rude and say Bugger off.</span>
</span>
<span style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">BAN inshore trawling/seining or any other form of commercial fishing. we the reccs took a cut and an increase of size when the bloody stock was 20% and its dropped again.</span>
</span>

PJC your comment is just typical of a recreational who just wont let go of this vs them mentality (rec vs commercial) that is widely propagated by advocacy groups. Yes commercial fishing has a big impact on fish stocks yet if I was to read between the lines you seem to place the blame solely with them and refuse to accept the recreational dont impact on fish stocks. So I gather that the only thing you and know doubt others got from this short interview is that the HG ecosystem is in trouble purely because of commercial fishing and not from any other factors especially those that come from having NZ biggest city right on the door step of the HG

Personally I think the cause of the stock decline is from all sectors. Recs like to think it's not them, but then refuse to give accurate numbers on what's being taken. Commercial will take what they can within legal limits to fill their pockets. The gulf needs to take a large quota cut, everybody. Pointing fingers won't solve a thing.
On the matter of the video, it looked very one sided to me as to who was to blame. A shot of a boat loaded with rods n reels, and several references to the public thinking there's an endless supply. No reference to trawling or the likes. My 2c.
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2020 at 9:47am
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Excellent post, Kitno. 
As a dad of two youngsters, I want them to have a chance to fish in the Waitemata and the Gulf when they grow up, and i'm willing to make some sacrifices now to ensure that's the case. If I'm honest, I don't need to catch limits. I enjoy eating fish as much as the next person, but I fish for the love of the 'sport' that's in my blood as much as the feed afterwards.

We only have to look across the Tasman to see how closed seasons and very small bag limits have been introduced to see our potential future. But if those steps need to be taken, so be it.

I do see some of the Facebook live feeds etc of charters filling their bins with snapper from the middle Gulf in work up season and wonder how many fish are being taken now using modern lure fishing methods than never used to be - in those depths, and with that regularity. 
A couple of times last spring I came across absolute flotillas of rec boats in Whangaparaoa Bay, between Kawau and Tiri - dozens and dozens of boats with people pulling in fish left right and centre. And afterwards I thought 'man, we're going to have to watch it'.

Thousands of new homes are being built north of the city (it's staggering if you drive north to see them spreading out to the horizon). If a fraction of the new residents have boats (and they certainly will) it's a huge increase in pressure on the northern sector of the fishery. Add all the new homes at Flat Bush, Drury etc and they'll all be heading to Kawakawa Bay/Maraetai.

Of course any potential hit to the commercial take is likely to be watered down as long as some of the current politicians with links to fishing industry are enjoying the 'baubles of office'.

No easy answers. Being staunch in defence of our 'rights as Kiwis' may be flying in the face of the reality.

Page  123 4>