Rear protection bar

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JustAnotherSpearo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rear protection bar
    Posted: 25 Feb 2020 at 8:51pm
JustAnotherSpearo View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hey guys, long story short. Pulled the trigger on a D-max today and looking at towbar pricing compared to a rear protection bar that has a towbar. Seems like a no brainer to me to get the protection bar since the towbars are built into them for the extra $500 from a protection point of view but practical sense aswell.

Question is, does anyone have one? if so what brand? the three ive considered are ARB, ironman and MCC. 

and also what weights if you do have one do you tow? they all say rated to manufacturers 3500kg but first hand experience would mean more to me than some printed writing on a box. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big -Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2020 at 9:03pm
Big -Dave View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I don't believe a d max can tow 3500 kg safely.
None of them are really up to it.
But if the sticker says so....
Does no one do a simple pipe bar across the back and up to the lights?
you can't fix an idiot with duct tape, but it does muffle them for a while...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote puff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2020 at 9:57pm
puff View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

If you can get a factory one... when doing one for my Toyota I found out that the factory one had the same row rating but the down load was miles more than others...
The down load is important, the cheaper (not by much) were between 80-150kg down load...
Factory one from Toyota 250kg and only $150 more...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JustAnotherSpearo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 5:06am
Platinum
Platinum

Top notch Puff. Will enquire about that. Thank you
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ecko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 7:29am
Ecko View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Interested to hear how you get on with the D-Max.
I am in the process of selling my car to buy another tow vehicle. It's a broad list but I'll probably buy whatever deal I can find LOL

Would be interested to hear if we have any crossover of interest and what made you move on the Isuzu

Triton
E70 X5
Discovery
Amarok
Hilux
Land Cruiser
Touareg 
Q7

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JustAnotherSpearo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 7:36am
Platinum
Platinum

I worked for Winger for 5 months and built a good relationship with the guys there. Simple way to put it. Got the dmax for the price of a new Triton.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JustAnotherSpearo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 7:54am
Platinum
Platinum

My requirements were simple as I'm a simple young fella. 4wd no carpet is ideal so no dramas with salt water dropping from the wetsuit. Went auto even though its 2k more than manual.

Future goals when the house is paid off is to get a 680 or 740 hardtop lazer so the auto factor for beach launching and general towing its logical. Down the line.

As per the prices of accessories since I used to do the invoicing for the new sales I know the cost price of the parts etc so went with just the basic tray liner and monsoons so the dog can breathe out the windows.

So based on that locked in a 2020 dmax Lx (new model dmax arrives in June. Wil have a diff lock and is a new shape and more electriconics stuff )

So keeping that in mind there could be some really good run out sales on 2020 dmax with the current shape.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 10:36am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Why do you need a rear protection bar?
 Son goes thru horrendous country tracks, and no tacks with trailers cables in the remotest parts of the country..
3rd hilux (milage  reasons) and has only gone to the front protection with winch on the latest one.

Also note that the added weight comes off the total legal vehicle weight, so the 3.5 is no longer 3.5.
AND the vertical weight on the hitch becomes part of the total vertical weight of the trailer.
Dont have enough vertical weight on the ball its self , you will have issue of snaking on straights, cnrs down hills etc..
A ave trailer , boat  1 / 1.5T or  caravan will have around 85/ 95kg on the hitch vertical weight at the hitch height.

Which brings to this.
Also do a little research on the weights of  rear protection plus loads on the draw bars, pot holes and bent chassis as dont have the full strength of a full body (7 seater)

Think there was a thread on this a couple yrs back.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JustAnotherSpearo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 12:42pm
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

Why do you need a rear protection bar?

One simple word sums it up. Females (girlfriend)

Cheap insurance given her track record
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 12:55pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Get the bumper buzzer warning option.
 Its usually the front bumper they scrap.
 And if have warning  there is no damage to other vehicles  and insurance stuff.

Also new vehicle.. I nose the front up to a wall or car whatever, get out have a look see how close..usually miles away.. same backing up thu now have backing cameras..
 And when with others in the vehicle parking up .. i get them to get out and see actually how big/ small the gap is..
 When around shops get her to look for reflections in shop windows

I get familiar, they get familiar.. no scrapes
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JustAnotherSpearo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 12:59pm
Platinum
Platinum

Mates farm in winter you end up sliding into banks. Wont happen often but it is one of those things that occur
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote notalloyit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2020 at 11:01am
notalloyit View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Dmax, defo, or mitsi, i hate to say it, but true, there is a test on this site somewhere 8 utes in Aus. real life test.
BNS Design & Print LTD 0800 733 000   for all printing needs, special rates for website members. Free freight NZ wide.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Keithal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2020 at 11:20am
Keithal View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I would personally avoid mcc

They are a bit hit and miss
Some people have no issues with they're stuff but I've seen plenty of cracked welds or welds that simply haven't penetrated at all

Arb while the priciest have a proven track record
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2020 at 12:01pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I wounder how many of us intended to take our 4x4 trucks utes in extreme off road , let alone extreme off road towing.. which where the hilux come in.

So tests are subjective to end use...
We tow with our 2.2L 4x4 SSanyoung, do road trips include long stretches of single lane rutted gravel roads.. love the 4x4.
Will be pulling boat out on beach launches.. go shopping, to the movies.. to work... daily driver.
1st thing looked at was comfort, ride, cabin noise...which it met far better than most..including the triton and several other brands failed here( even higher end brands) and all the other similar speced , price range..
 The steering turning circle.. test drive in tight supermarket car parks when busy..  several failed here..
 A lot of brand failed baddly here for us.
 The what it can tow, and how well..
 i.e our big horn is rated 3.5T but go up a hill with 1800 on the hitch is slow..  SSangyoug hardly feel it on the newer models.. now rated 3.5T.
 Not as fast going of a big steep hill as a hilux and compared to most the others in ball park a a few km/hr.
 Again a couple brands just failed here
 Long term reliability and servicing out to 300K.
 Again proven record since 2014..
 Fancy electronics, its a bit archaic, but hell been driving wind up windows cars daily for the last 50yrs.. and one with push down slide windows..
 Lot tests mentioned tend to wander on the highway. (a major issue)..well fixed that, got the caster taken out to the top of factory spec at 1st service.. magic.. was just at the very bottom..

Others didnt meet what we wanted in comfort / ride and even issues like if at a oil change the oil is  fully drained and not immediately refilled..causes engine failure down the line.

Test results are relative to the tester , and very rarely give the story in between the lines.

What I did not or dont like.
1/ position of the indicator  switch.. got used to it now
2/ the side step too narrow.. still annoys a bit.
3/ At nigh a reflection of the dash on the drivers side window.. got used to it now.
3/ The big pillar.. but all vehicles have that now..
4/ that can turn off engine  not in park, and have to turn on ign to the move into park.. realty gets up my nose.
5/ cruise on off buttons should be reversed.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JustAnotherSpearo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2020 at 7:56am
Platinum
Platinum

Have decided to go with the EFS bullbar / sidebar / rear bar just on price point and that the bull bar replaced the entire bumper so there's no need to hack up the bumper for fitment.

The towball rating on them is 350kg
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2020 at 9:53am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yes tow ball rating still 350kg.
Aftermarket rear bar weight not taken into account for the total weight the chassis was orginally designed for. Thru a few more kgs  on the front.. makes far better leverage.
 Load up the tray, weight towards the rear.
 Trailer on that happens to be more than should.. should being 90kg actual 150kg (well within the 350kg vertical spec)
 hit a big bump and chassis not designed to take that stress.

All very well documented as reason why utes that dont have single full cabs that have bracing thru roof and full body (SUVs) bend.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote JustAnotherSpearo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 8:50pm
Platinum
Platinum

Bit of an update. Have chucked on the rear bar, side steps & bullbar, don't have any decent photos but this is what ive got sofar.

To my surprise it fits in the garage! (thank godness for removable towbars)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muzzfishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2020 at 11:36pm
Muzzfishing View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice looking Ute Spearo should give you yrs of good running. Yeah looks like you got lucky with the garage door.
    A Good Skipper Keeps the water on the outside of the boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2020 at 8:12am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

BLING!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JustAnotherSpearo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2020 at 8:31am
Platinum
Platinum

I'm one very happy chappy. The courier arrived this morning so I can finish off the brush bars!
12 hrs from buying online to the front door. Might not be the chassis punch I wanted but here's hoping the 22mm holesaw will do the job!
Page  12>