Covid 19 - fishing & anything related

Topic Closed

Page  <1 3334353637 206>
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2020 at 7:53pm
Motorhead View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

Sadly I think the reason why COVID-19 has made such a big impact compared to the much more horrific Ebola is that COVID made it out of Africa

A huge plus is Ebola is not contagious without symptoms present. If Ebola was like Covid-19 which is contagious without symptoms we would be in serious sh1t.
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2020 at 7:59pm
grantdixon View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

There seems to be greater minds than mine at work analysing the current Covid 19 situation on this forum, but the one thing I know for absolute certain, the less contact I have with the outside world at the moment, staying within my 'bubble', the less likely I and my family around me will become a Coronavirus 'statistic'. The message is simple - go home, stay home.
Enjoy your weekends everybody and stay safe out there.
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2020 at 8:03pm
Titahi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The phrase " Stable genius" springs to mind reading some of the dribble this thread has descended too
"I love standing by the ocean and just knowing what its for"
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2020 at 8:14pm
fish-feeder View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

More kiwis sent home tomorrow night from oz off the cruise ship,the rest are being put.in isolation on an island off Ozzy I can't understand why they can't go into isolation with the others and NZ can pay Ozzie for it . Import more virus . Wow.
dont get my personality mixed up with my attitude,my personality is me,my attitude depends on you.
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2020 at 9:46pm
Mr Moritz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

There is a Govt number you can call if you need help or assistance for problems caused by covid-19. It's supposed to be for over 65s but probably can't see how old you are on a phone.

Call or Text 1737.

May be able to help someone
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2020 at 10:29pm
whippersnappyr View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Alan L Alan L wrote:

WuFlu testing - one thing I neglected to mention. There seem to be some drive-in test stations for the public? Unless I am wrong. Think the US have set some up? This may seem like a good idea but really is the wrong approach. Prob more to placate a public. Unless there are unlimited resources for this - and I think the reagents are in short supply - it is not a good use of the resource. Yes  you may pick up  a few early +ves. But you will have 99% negatives, Which isn't great anyway. But then the people with the negative will go around behaving like they don't have the virus - thats why they drove in for a test in the first place. Had a test and clear. Nooo. They need to behave like they have it. In which case, the testing is 99% wasted.
Alan

Yes there are testing stations and it’s a good idea. You only get a test after a referral from your GP or after calling the health line number. Even then the test is only performed if at the site the clinicians consider you have COVID-19 symptoms
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2020 at 10:29pm
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Titahi Titahi wrote:

The phrase " Stable genius" springs to mind reading some of the dribble this thread has descended too

100%. So many times I’ve had to resist replying to total nonsense
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 6:35am
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Claim: ‘A vaccine could be ready within a few months’

Scientists were quick out of the gates in beginning development of a vaccine for the new coronavirus, helped by the early release of the genetic sequence by Chinese researchers. The development of a viable vaccine continues apace, with several teams now testing candidates in animal experiments. However, the incremental trials required before a commercial vaccine could be rolled out are still a lengthy undertaking – and an essential one to ensure that even rare side-effects are spotted. A commercially available vaccine within a year would be quick.’

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/27/can-a-face-mask-protect-me-from-coronavirus-covid-19-myths-busted

So are they suggesting that once you cleared your country of the virus you still need to keep borders closed as vaccine might not be availiable for 12 months??

But we wouldnt be lockdown just couldnt travel overseas??

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 9:06am
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by pjc pjc wrote:

Scientists were quick out of the gates in beginning development of a vaccine for the new coronavirus, helped by the early release of the genetic sequence by Chinese researchers. The development of a viable vaccine continues apace, with several teams now testing candidates in animal experiments. However, the incremental trials required before a commercial vaccine could be rolled out are still a lengthy undertaking – and an essential one to ensure that even rare side-effects are spotted. A commercially available vaccine within a year would be quick.’

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/27/can-a-face-mask-protect-me-from-coronavirus-covid-19-myths-busted

So are they suggesting that once you cleared your country of the virus you still need to keep borders closed as vaccine might not be availiable for 12 months??

My understanding is that once we get community transmission under control then we can move to level 3 possibly regionally rather than all at once.  Eventually almost normal behaviour in NZ allowed but no open border until a vaccine is available. A likely scenario is pulsing of the lockdown where if it starts to ramp up again we go back into level 4 for a bit again possibly regionally rather than locally.

After all we are trying to stop a massive run on the health system rather than wipe the whole thing out. At some point we need economic activity or we’ll all go broke

The implication is therefore 14 day quarantining for all international arrivals (or possibly back to 14 day self isolation) for at least 12 but probably 18-24 months. 
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 10:11am
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

we have tried self isolation,didnt work.Most did it but a few failed,would I really stay in my campervan??
Borders need to stay shut except for inbound frieght.
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 10:42am
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 11:55am
Mr Moritz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

[QUOTE=pjc]

I have heard no vaccine for 18 months earliest. Others say 12-18 months. Hopeful we stop/slow this virus with our lock down. When we eliminate it in our country there will be heaps of other countries still fighting it. We will have to closely scrutinize any one coming to our country for our own safety, as China is doing now.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 12:00pm
Mr Moritz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 12:41pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

much higher people density at bunnings and countdown just before lockdown than at those beaches, and almost zero airflow as well.

i took one look ,thought no way,drove off . At bunnings took 15 minutes or so to get out of a carpark traffic jam.

went to farro just before lockdown. Compulsory hand sanatiser at entrance. Only letting a few in at any time. Top marks to them.
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 1:23pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I can see getting it in to the pool no problem.
Wonder if he has worked out how to get it out? He has a month or so to think about it.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 1:37pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

In the Guardian modelling shows if we continue these restrictions our death toll will be just 20.

BUT restrictions have to stay in place and then wait out for a vaccine.

Which is a point I made to my workmates a few weeks ago. Defence should have been the border to protect daily lives first and foremost. I think all we are doing in delaying the big spike with lockdown and the famous graph will just show a time delay in the spike rather than stretch out cases.
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 1:54pm
Garry 23041 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Interested to see the N.Z infection map most are younger. I guess they are more active and travel more? Then I look at the pictures out of Australia and I get a better idea of how that could happen there at least!
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 2:17pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Catchelot Catchelot wrote:

Only in Ozzy...Shocked

Al I've lived the last 40 years in Aussie after spending the first 29 in NZ. Quite frankly the Aussies just don't get it, or probably more correctly don't want to get it. Totally selfish, it's the me, me, me, FU attitude.
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 2:29pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I think you may find that NZ has changed in the last 40 years too. 
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 3:01pm
fish-feeder View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

dont get my personality mixed up with my attitude,my personality is me,my attitude depends on you.
Page  <1 3334353637 206>