Covid 19 - fishing & anything related

Topic Closed

Page  <12345 206>
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 4:46pm
whippersnappyr View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by chris_gee chris_gee wrote:

Actually I didn't say 1k-2k cases in Korea. I said from 1-2 to a thousand in a few w. The latest figure is 977 but that is a few hours out of date and they are getting about 100 cases a day at the moment.
The cases are not necessarily falling as your graph is china and the reporting has changed 3 times. Originally it was only those cases proven by testing, but testing was not generally available. It still isn't in the USA. The reagents have proved unreliable and it is only carried out by the CDC. A swab from the upper respiratory tract can be negative but easier to get. The US also has pretty restrictive criteria for testing namely travel to china or close contact with a proven case. Ha good luck establishing the latter.

No my chart was global numbers

Best info which I have been tracking since early Jan

And

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 4:55pm
fish-feeder View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

All you guys are not seeing the massive elephant in the room. 10% of the world's.population locked down for a "flu". A month from now it could very well be 20%. What the world is doing now should be raising eyebrows everywhere.... cognitive dissonance is massive regarding the importance of what is going on and how countries are reacting to this.
dont get my personality mixed up with my attitude,my personality is me,my attitude depends on you.
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 5:21pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well the die is cast.
No putting the milk back in the cow.

Add as many other cliches as you want because it will get here. Probably by winter too.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 5:29pm
Titanium
Titanium

I agree muppet. If it takes the CDC three days to run a test,how is little.ole NZ going to cope. It has all the early symptoms of a standard flu,so quite a few results will be put down to flu. China is building more "hospitals" for this flu,yet release single digits figures of newly infected.....doesn't add up at all.
dont get my personality mixed up with my attitude,my personality is me,my attitude depends on you.
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 6:28pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by pompey pompey wrote:

This is building into a real big issue. I don't believe the infection and death rate reports out of China. They will be way worse. 
I have a mate I fish with (today). He has business contacts he works with in HK and China. They bth say the death toll is hugely under reported in China. Multiples worse. I won't quote the numbers he quoted me. But would not surprise me- they control everything. The Dr who originally blew the whistle on it was forced to sign a confession that he got it wrong. Then died later from the same virus.
Why would you believe their figures?
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 9:39pm
Titanium
Titanium

3 hrs later and I still don't know what to say that Alan. China uses a Facebook like chat site called WeChat,and another called weibo,some.of the videos I've seen are.shocking,people.herded off to quarentine forcibly, people yelling from apartment blocks. I'll leave it at that.
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2020 at 5:03am
laidbackdood View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

My mrs just told me (she is chinese)....that they have found some chinese medicine in china,that can deal to it .....but hey.....Hope so.....we need something pronto.
Once the idiots turn up..Im outta here...No time for Drama Queens.
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2020 at 7:30am
chris_gee View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Many have suspected that China was under-reporting  by up to about tenfold. Leaked documents for one province confirm this.

Shandong

The internal data shared with The Epoch Times includes a breakdown of diagnostic results from all 16 prefectural-level municipalities in Shandong province, which were sent in an email to the disease control department of the Shandong health commission.

The Shandong CDC compiled daily statistical reports about coronavirus diagnoses, tallying positive test results at all hospitals in the province that were qualified to conduct such testing.

At times, the Shandong government reported one or two new diagnoses to the public, when the internal data showed much more.

• On Feb. 22, for example, the government reported two newly diagnosed cases in the day prior, but the real data was 59.
  • On Feb. 20, the government reported two newly diagnosed cases for Feb. 19, but the real data was 49.
  • And on Feb. 19, the government reported one newly diagnosed case in the day prior, but the real data was 52.

For the period between Feb. 8 to Feb. 22, the government announced that there were 347 newly diagnosed cases, but the internal data shows 1,072 new patients—more than 3 times the published figure.

Diagnostic Kit Not Sufficient?

One Chinese researcher suggested that diagnostic kits alone would not be able to detect all the virus-infected patients.

“This disease [coronavirus] has a character, which is not all patients can be detected positive when use nucleic acid testing,” Wang Chen, director of China’s Academy of Medical Sciences and a critical care medicine expert, told state-run broadcaster CCTV on Feb. 5.

Wang explained that although nucleic acid testing is currently the only official test method that Chinese medical staff use to diagnose coronavirus, the result is not accurate.

“Only 30 to 50 percent of the patients present positive,” according to Wang.

He explained that all patients who test positive are infected with the coronavirus, but another 50 to 70 percent of patients are actually infected but cannot be detected by nucleic acid testing.

I don’t know the details of how this was determined. I believe there are two types of test. All tests generally are assessed for specificity and selectivity. Both are required to avoid false negatives and false positives.

Of course minimising testing also helps minimise results.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2020 at 1:06pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

How can you believe any statistics from these guys?
Alan

Dr Li Wenliang, who was hailed a hero for raising the alarm about the coronavirus in the early days of the outbreak, has died of the infection.

His death was confirmed by the Wuhan hospital where he worked and was being treated, following conflicting reports about his condition on state media.

Dr Li, 34, tried to send a message to fellow medics about the outbreak at the end of December. Three days later police paid him a visit and told him to stop. He returned to work and caught the virus from a patient. He had been in hospital for at least three weeks.

He posted his story from his hospital bed last month on social media site Weibo.

"Hello everyone, this is Li Wenliang, an ophthalmologist at Wuhan Central Hospital," the post begins.

It was a stunning insight into the botched response by local authorities in Wuhan in the early weeks of the coronavirus outbreak.

Dr Li was working at the centre of the outbreak in December when he noticed seven cases of a virus that he thought looked like Sars - the virus that led to a global epidemic in 2003. The cases were thought to come from the Huanan Seafood market in Wuhan and the patients were in quarantine in his hospital.

• On 30 December he sent a message to fellow doctors in a chat group warning them about the outbreak and advising they wear protective clothing to avoid infection.

What Dr Li didn't know then was that the disease that had been discovered was an entirely new coronavirus.

Image copyrightWEIBOImage captionAfter falling sick, Dr Li said on Weibo that he wondered why authorities were still saying no medical staff had been infected

Four days later he was summoned to the Public Security Bureau where he was told to sign a letter. In the letter he was accused of "making false comments" that had "severely disturbed the social order".

"We solemnly warn you: If you keep being stubborn, with such impertinence, and continue this illegal activity, you will be brought to justice - is that understood?" Underneath in Dr Li's handwriting is written: "Yes, I do."

He was one of eight people who police said were being investigated for "spreading rumours".

Legasea Legend member
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2020 at 1:46pm
pompey View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The S&P recovered abit last night and the NZSX is up today as well. 
You would think the virus is under control or stocks have been under sold.
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2020 at 2:52pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by laidbackdood laidbackdood wrote:

My mrs just told me (she is chinese)....that they have found some chinese medicine in china,that can deal to it .....but hey.....Hope so.....we need something pronto.

Interesting claim, they have found some medicine, interesting seem it takes in general 6 -18+ months to produce approved vaccines.

Lets see what this found medicine will do.LOL
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2020 at 3:28pm
Titanium
Titanium

Apparently it's called quercetin,a compound in alot of fruit and veg that is a pigment. Yeah I don't think it's gonna be that straight forward to be honest. They also say anti malaria medicine seems to work as well. Pretty pointless as it's been proven some people who have recovered have been re-infected a few weeks later. The long incubation period of 24 days and the asymptomatic virus shedding means there is almost no hope of containing it I think.
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2020 at 4:15pm
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I've just heard someone from the ministry on the radio talking about a major anti-corona virus campaign they are launching.  The main thrust of it is telling people to wash their hands.  I'm no scientist, but I think if that was all it took to stop it spreading they might have had it under control around the world by now.  It didn't inspire confidence.
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2020 at 4:23pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I believe this stops the spread of diseases murders rapist paedophiles etc

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2020 at 4:31pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-51628484

The deputy minister, Iraj Harirchi, on Monday denied covering up the scale of the outbreak. He appeared in physical discomfort as he spoke to reporters.

Iran has reported 95 cases, but the actual number is thought to be higher.

The director general of the World Health Organization (WHO) has said the sudden increase in cases in countries outside China is "deeply concerning".

US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said on Tuesday that Washington was concerned that Iran may have concealed "vital details" about its outbreak and urged all nations to "tell the truth about the coronavirus".

More people have died in Iran from the virus than anywhere else outside China. The two countries have strong trading links.

The other countries currently in the spotlight are South Korea and Italy, where cases have surged in recent days.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-51048366

symptoms,seems similar to meningitis/menigacocal

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2020 at 4:39pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Catchelot Catchelot wrote:

Interesting claim, they have found some medicine, interesting seem it takes in general 6 -18+ months to produce approved vaccines.

They will probably say Rhino horn gets rid of it.
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2020 at 9:13pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Muppet Muppet wrote:

Originally posted by Catchelot Catchelot wrote:

They will probably say Rhino horn gets rid of it.

LOLClap
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2020 at 9:14pm
puff View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Or bovine effluent
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2020 at 9:43pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nah, bears gall bile.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2020 at 5:46pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

First case comfirmed in N.Z.  Someone who came in from Iran last week.
Dont they know there is a major outbreak in iran.

The govt has failed to protect our borders.
They have failed to protect our citizens.

Meanwhile in addition we watch our dollar fall off a cliff.
Page  <12345 206>