Covid 19 - fishing & anything related

Topic Closed

Page  <1234 206>
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 9:14am
Structfab View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

personally I think it's hyped up by the media **** storm. The numbers aren't that alarming really, and if you don't believe the numbers then you might as well worry worry worry.....because the stress of worrying about things outside your control will shorten your life regardless of the reality on the other side of the world. The vast majority of the initial alarmist claims haven't eventuatd
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 9:33am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yep I agree.

The worry is not the virus, if one is heathy , eats well etc... it is the numbers off sick from factories.. the effect on production (and consumption)
Also the effect of actually closing factories, shop schools, drop in imports/ exports, ban on travel resulting in tourist industries closing up.. the unemployment, cost on social services etc.

All the secondary and tertiary, down the road stuff that effects household incomes , economy  etc.

Then there is the redirecting a lower tax income for the government from hospitals, education into other social services.
 It is a very long chain of events.
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 9:51am
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thousand cases in South Korea and italy.leave the boarders open think not.
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 10:39am
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

One positive is the huge drop in C02 if you are into that.
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 10:42am
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Muppet Muppet wrote:

One positive is the huge drop in C02 if you are into that.

Complete Bollicks!
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 12:23pm
fish-feeder View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

When it takes hold in India,Russia and Africa is when the shet will hit the fan.
dont get my personality mixed up with my attitude,my personality is me,my attitude depends on you.
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 1:20pm
Titanium
Titanium

Australia is about to pull the trigger on their pandemic plan. I find that odd as they have so few cases.
https://www.smh.com.au/national/virus-emergency-blueprint-australia-pulls-trigger-on-pandemic-plan-20200225-p54490.html
dont get my personality mixed up with my attitude,my personality is me,my attitude depends on you.
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 1:36pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hell of a lot of good thoughts on the issue...Thumbs Up
 And many have been some food for thought...
 Now Im thinking how bad is this what will happen here..
So Im Assuming our PM as gone to our universities, scientists and asked them...we I hope she has..
And my uneducate answer to her would be along these lines.

We have one of the highest diebties, over weight, asthmatic high blood pressure, high cholesterol rates in the world, and a high age demographic. Most of these in the  low income and urban environments.
All high risk critical and fatal groups for corona.
 We will not have the facilities to treat and care for in mass at this point in time.
That is not a good scenrio...

If that is correct we would then see higher over all rate of fatalities than most other countries.

My next question is why we would see these higher rates..
Basically because of our fitness and diets in this country.
 And why is that? Because we see fit to have self responsibility to inject ourselfs with sugars and bad diets.

Now if our professional politians in previous yrs had seen .. and Im sure they are very well aware of the long term consquinces, restrictions of certain foods, taxs and a lot of other 'tools' would have been introduced for the over all betterment of our economy, heath services, and general well being..

IF this is the case our politicians have let our country down, and if this virus goes thru this country as I may suggest it could, in excess of the 2.3% fatal rate.
That is where the responsibility lays.
 One could argue "well we voted them in"
We have not had a choice of a politician who genuinely has the balls to do what is needed for a couple decades now and if we have the the bureaucracy stimes them.

Now another thought..
 And this one is purety objective totally un PC and without any consideration
 If I was asked (heaven forbid) to design a virus to best suit a take over of a country or simply to 'cleanse' out a counties population.. damn this is going to sound very much like a Hitler or Stalin thing.
 I would need a virus that spreads very easy with at least a 2 week incubation before any symptoms.
Will infect most of the population to varying degrees from nil symptoms to fatalities of those who are potentially  and are a burden on the social systems including heath.
 I would target modern illnesses mainly based around obesity  and poor diet. Diebities, heart , blood pressure, cholesterol, immune systems and fitness, and maybe the old and frail..
 Damn thats a very scarry thought and scares me now I think about it.

Surely our scientists have been asked, and give at least their preliminary comments by now, with updates as stats come available.. just as they did with the measles thing.
 We saw the measles projections published, and they where very accurate, even prediction the day a week or so ahead when the rate of infections woulds start to decrease.

Why have we not seen the Corona papers yet?

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 1:39pm
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

They are being realistic about what may happen, better to be prepared for something that doesn't happen than to be completely unprepared when it hits.  I suspect we will be woefully unprepared and our main plan is to hope it doesn't hit us.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 1:43pm
Titanium
Titanium

I hope I'm wrong,but I think this is going to get really ugly soon. Alot of things don't add up for so few deaths,that's the big red flag for me. Hundreds of millions of people locked down, countries closing borders,other countries not supposedly having any cases. There's no way our health system can handle what may be coming.
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 1:45pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Australia is going to let the Chinese students in provided they have stayed in another country for 14 days.

Wonder if Jacinda will follow?
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 1:55pm
chris_gee View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Actually I didn't say 1k-2k cases in Korea. I said from 1-2 to a thousand in a few w. The latest figure is 977 but that is a few hours out of date and they are getting about 100 cases a day at the moment.
The cases are not necessarily falling as your graph is china and the reporting has changed 3 times. Originally it was only those cases proven by testing, but testing was not generally available. It still isn't in the USA. The reagents have proved unreliable and it is only carried out by the CDC. A swab from the upper respiratory tract can be negative but easier to get. The US also has pretty restrictive criteria for testing namely travel to china or close contact with a proven case. Ha good luck establishing the latter.
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 2:03pm
Titanium
Titanium

Another 169 cases in South Korea. Bno news is always up to date with numbers.
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 2:10pm
Titahi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have worked  as a public health nurse and done communicable disease contact tracing. Some of the information provided in this thread is spurious..... which in the current climate of mis information and distorted facts is dangerous..
If you want to know whats going on, you should seek the appropriate source for your information, repeating what you saw/ heard from Social media,  some mate at the pub and  my wife's friends second cousins dog groomer is stupid.

EDIT; We should send any anti vaxxers to Wuhan, now is  their chance to prove science  wrong.....

"I love standing by the ocean and just knowing what its for"
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 2:22pm
Titanium
Titanium

Dead link.
Titahi, NZ is getting it's info from who? Most likely the USA? It's a new virus,we know little about it and the big mistake is we are comparing it to SARS in likes of transmissibility,death rate and such. If China was a little more forthcoming on what is going on over there we would all be better off for it. Now that Italy and SK are getting hammered we may get a bit of transparency on the real numbers. China is just pulling numbers out if a hat I think.
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 2:44pm
Titanium
Titanium

From 9 new cases yesterday to 5 new cases in China today....that's what I mean by fiddling the numbers and lack of honestly from them. Unbelievable.
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 3:11pm
chris_gee View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yes 169 new cases in SK total over 1100 as at now whoops last report.
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 3:21pm
Titahi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by fish-feeder fish-feeder wrote:

Dead link.
Titahi, NZ is getting it's info from who? Most likely the USA? .

And there in lies the problem, an assumption.

the ministry of health will be getting their information from WHO and multiple partner agencies, 

Sorry for the dead link  I cant seem to get them to load properly? .....

Ministry of health and world health organisation are both valuable sites for correct factual information based on current knowledge, the WHO site also has situation reports , 
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 3:39pm
Titanium
Titanium

The same WHO that is stalling on calling this a worldwide pandemic? The same WHO that is a charity based organization that has China as it's second largest contributor? I would rather not put all my eggs in one basket regarding how they are fluffing about with this situation.
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 4:30pm
Titahi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Take a deep breath, FF.  Stop yelling in the echo chamber.....

The WHO isn't a charity based organisation, its funded by member states who pay assessed contributions, A charity organisation by definition is very different.

The definition of a pandemic is quite specific, and clearly we haven't reached that threshold yet, otherwise it would be announced as such.

im out...

Is it raining and windy in Russell Craig ? :) 

Page  <1234 206>