Car underbody preservation

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bounty Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Car underbody preservation
    Posted: 24 Feb 2020 at 7:21pm
Bounty Hunter View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

has anyone a recommendation on an underbody seal or cavity wax type service/application that i might get done on my-new-to-me toyota

i havent yet had a really good inspection underneath, but it appears in very good condition considering its more than 10years old - so i dont think its going to need much in the way of material removal/blasting - but i would like to get something applied to help it stay in good knick.

im looking for a professional service - im not in a position to do any applications myself

auckland area would be preferable.

cheers
No disintegrations!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2020 at 7:54pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Which model BH?

I thought the LC and Hilux both already had underfloor treatment? I could be wrong. If so will like to find this out myself.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ofthesea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2020 at 8:36pm
ofthesea View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I purchased rust treatment products from Car Colors North Shore  http://www.carcolors.co.nz/ 
They are a distributor so have a look at their website and try contacting them to recommend a suitable professional near you, maybe a spray painter
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2020 at 9:06am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

There is a thread a couple months back on the subject.
 We have been thru this recently with our Big horn.

The bighorn had never seen the beach.. clean as underneath doors etc. Mechanically pump injectors , glow plugs and few other things replaced /updated regular services only done 200K
 Market value would be under 5K
Will get replaced but not worth taking the trade in value.. so keep as a beach hack...
But underseal 1st.
We shopped around a few panel beaters.. recommended and other wise..cost between $350 and $500... drop off pick up next day.
Smudge being local advised us to go chat to a local engineering firm that does vehicles for local mines and contractors.
An eye opening chat..
 They take the vehicle on a friday remove panels, fuel tanks and stuff to steam/ water blast on hoist, clean seams etc.
 Then let dry out over the weekend.
 Then seal everything up , spray in panels crevices, and finally under seal...cost  ball park around $800/ 900.

As they have normal contact/ industral work on , bread and butter customers.. and sealing is a minor side line, we arranged to have it done 'between jobs' as time available which happened after about 3 weeks. They had the big horn from a Friday morning thru to  end of Tuesday.

The thing with undersealing rust proofing.. it should be done with the new vechilce and never been driven on a wet road for best results.
Anything in seams, from moisture to road grit or sand, espec black sand, if ever been over road works..under sealing traps in

my-new-to-me toyota
 Son is on his 3rd hulux, he does big ks sees some serious country and trades for a new just before 100k every 3 or so yrs.
So doesnt under seal. the 1st the seams had serious rust starting and the 2nd, only a few months back not as bad but was there.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote johnybegood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2020 at 2:19pm
johnybegood View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

We had our newest ute treated and painted by http://www.autoblast.co.nz/

Over in wairau. Really good guys to deal with and I was surprised that our virtually brand new ute had some surface rust here and there. Now that it's been treated I feel a lot more comfortable getting the rear tyres wet, although yet to do a proper beach launch...

Biggest thing is to have a pressure spray bottle full of salt away or similar and give the rear of the ute and trailer a quick rinse before heading out on the water for the day/overnight. Feel free to pm me if you want more details on Autoblast

I just want to jig
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2020 at 4:31pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Bounty hunter.

Are you stripping the body to pan.
Do you have deep,pockets.

I say that as solutions have different outcomes.
From raw with the proper techniques you have endless longer lasting options. But they cost.

Knowing your use helps.
And any system will require maintenance more so in harsh environments such as salt, mud bashing fresh water environments and outdoor uncovered storage.

There are wholesale brand new pretreatment formulas.

To managing existing vehicles with unknown history.

I can help give you a path if you wish to provide more info on your needs.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2020 at 5:57pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

And any system will require maintenance more so in harsh environments such as salt...

Yep we still thoroughly wash the bighorn even after sealing.. as soon as get home.
I even put it in fresh water about 1/4 up the doors and drove it back and forth 20 meters a few times.Shocked
 After 24 yrs the doors and seals still dont leak Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bounty Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 10:32am
Titanium
Titanium

ended giving the job to a chap in Manukau - underbody steam clean - and then a few touch ups with converter/sealant on some of the running gear - his comment was that the condition was remarkably good for a 2007 vehicle - and then a full spray underneath including inside rails with a wax-type product from DINITROL

applicators recommendation is that i return vehicle for touchups if we have any mechanical work done under the car where solvents are used for cleaning etc...  

time will tell how long it lasts...
No disintegrations!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ofthesea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 8:24pm
ofthesea View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Prevention preferable to the cure
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2020 at 7:54am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Did they do inside the doors and body panels?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bounty Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2020 at 8:35pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

Did they do inside the doors and body panels?

no - just did the underside.

the value of the car - relatively low - doesnt warrant spending a lot more time and money to get the 'ultimate' solution.

perhaps if one had a newer, more expensive vehicle like a landcruiser that you wanted to 'keep forever', a more comprehensive prevention could be undertaken...
No disintegrations!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2020 at 10:42am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yep..
 Older doors have older window seals.. salt beach spray runing down inside..
 These are easy enough to pull the panels inside the doors and a good  brush /vaccum out...squirt with a aresol of lanocane or fisholene, or that tecryl stuff.. and make sure the drain holes are clear.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2020 at 2:16pm
Legacy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

Yep..
 Older doors have older window seals.. salt beach spray runing down inside..
 These are easy enough to pull the panels inside the doors and a good  brush /vaccum out...squirt with a aresol of lanocane or fisholene, or that tecryl stuff.. and make sure the drain holes are clear.

that’s a good idea there Steps to pull th door panels and spray with lanacote etc
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2020 at 2:48pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Wash well up between hinges and pillars and door catches are .. let dry and cover them as well.
 If can around pillars , window screens
 All places that get hit hard by WoF.

And may lift the caropets in the trunk,  cavity down behind the wheel wells