So called fishing 'mates'

Page  <123>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote REIVER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2020 at 10:06am
REIVER View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

First trip with me I don't ask for anything. If there is no offer of a contribution they never come on my boat again. Simple. Shouldn't have to ask. I have got some really good mates so it isn't really a problem but it just does my head in how some people just expect someone else to subsidise them (quite wealthy people as well).
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big -Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2020 at 9:53pm
Big -Dave View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have a mixed opinion here.
I usually fish up at Colville. I'm already up there, and if I ask a mate if he wants to come out for a fish, I expect nothing. It's company, is a minimal amount of fuel and usually they will bring some bait along... same goes if I pop out on their boat.

However, if we plan a mission, up to channel island, or out to Gannett from raglan, it's share the costs.
I do know a guy who fills his boat to get lots of help with the fuel bill though, kkind of feels like the passengers are funding his excursion sometimes.
I hate overcrowded boats, so I rarely go.
you can't fix an idiot with duct tape, but it does muffle them for a while...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote old timer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 8:04am
old timer View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

What do you do About the mate that always asks for contribution to his boat but never contributes to yours. And is also always late to the ramp for an early start
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 10:22am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

What do you do About the mate that always asks for contribution to his boat but never contributes to yours. And is also always late to the ramp for an early start

As said before take responsibility for it yourself.. make the rules before hand...we divie up cost and bin at the end of the day
Late..
I prefer to meet at home, load up there, boat ready to launch, and similar back at home.. ramps can be busy places and lack of parking to load unload.. the ques etc..

A gain "rules" meet at X time , leave at (30 minutes later..) and leave..if you have gone you have gone.
 In my books Late for anything is disrespectful, and their is rarely any real excuse for it... my crew usually turn up 30/ 15 mind early as Im just walking out the door 1/2 asleep) Maybe is because I make a fresh ground espresso before going out.. have to make 2 extras (life gets toughWink)

M8s and  good m8s are honest and upfront without any malice.
If have a beef, say so...may even turn out you have it wrong..

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote paw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 10:32am
paw View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I recall a few years ago a similar discussion and it was said that if you ask for a contribution towards costs you were  deemed to be "for hire" and therefore came under all the rules and regulations of a charter boat.
 I think the general consensus was don't ask but perhaps a suggestion that a contribution would be appreciated could get around this.
sleeping is a symptom of caffeine deprivation
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kevin.S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 10:47am
Kevin.S View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by paw paw wrote:

I recall a few years ago a similar discussion and it was said that if you ask for a contribution towards costs you were  deemed to be "for hire" and therefore came under all the rules and regulations of a charter boat.
 I think the general consensus was don't ask but perhaps a suggestion that a contribution would be appreciated could get around this.

I had a discussion with MNZ about that, because as I read it the rules say you cannot accept any payment.  But MNZ specifically told me that their interpretation of the rules is that they are set up to allow for friends to contribute towards fuel and other expenses without the vessel being classed as a commercial boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 1:17pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Kevin.S Kevin.S wrote:

Originally posted by paw paw wrote:

I had a discussion with MNZ about that, because as I read it the rules say you cannot accept any payment.  But MNZ specifically told me that their interpretation of the rules is that they are set up to allow for friends to contribute towards fuel and other expenses without the vessel being classed as a commercial boat.
Its called turning a blind eye. Remember the discussion on clubs raffling off fish and money going towards  coastguard etc,cannot legally do it but once again a blind eye is turned.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 1:38pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

just call it donation.If under $14999 you will be fine.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 6:20pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Transformations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 6:49pm
Transformations View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by cirrus cirrus wrote:

just call it donation.If under $14999 you will be fine.

Yep, all good as long as your putting NZ First

We don't know what we don't need till we've got it
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2020 at 3:29pm
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Depends who it is.
I have a couple of close mates with boats. When we're out on their boat, they get the gas, everyone brings a bit of bait and berley. When they're out on our boat, I get the gas. We pretend things like towing costs, servicing the boat etc etc don't exist. Terminal tackle is basically shared, nobody is too precious about a ledger rig here or a jig there. If you're worried about $40 or so now and then, perhaps boating isn't the sport for you. I'd much rather fish with someone who is happy to pull the anchor, change the berley over, help wash the boat, do their part of the filleting, but primarily is good company. If you're towing your $60000 boat to the ramp with your $40000 ute and then feeling hard done to over $50 of gas contribution, mmm, well, perspective.

Maybe I'm lucky enough to be in a position where a tank of gas here and there isn't about to sour a bloody good day out with a couple of mates? But as has been said, if you're worried about it, maybe they aren't that good company/mates??

At the other end of things, if I go out on a boat with someone I've not fished with before, I'll get the gas, and make damn sure to do more than my share of the filleting, anchor pulling, or taking turns as wheelman if we're drift fishing. That's how you get invited back, and how you get into a "it all evens out over time" fishing relationship.

My 2c anyway.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bigfishbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2020 at 8:00pm
Bigfishbob View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

You need to be straight up from the beginning when you invite them. We're going to spot X, expecting to use X litres of gas and $y of bait. Split the cost by the number of people on the boat, are you in? Simple as that.

My only exception to this is when I really want to go fishing and know enough about their financial background, that charging them for a normal days fishing is more than they can afford. So I invite them anyway and take whatever they offer if anything.

One day recently I took a new guy out, we used 100 litre of gas, at the end of the trip he offered me $60 and asked if that was enough, I said it would be more like $100, but was happy with $60 and left it at that. He came back with the rest.

You just have to be clear from the beginning.

www.waikatosportfishing.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote foulplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2020 at 8:28pm
foulplay View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Rozboon Rozboon wrote:

Depends who it is.
I have a couple of close mates with boats. When we're out on their boat, they get the gas, everyone brings a bit of bait and berley. When they're out on our boat, I get the gas. We pretend things like towing costs, servicing the boat etc etc don't exist. Terminal tackle is basically shared, nobody is too precious about a ledger rig here or a jig there. If you're worried about $40 or so now and then, perhaps boating isn't the sport for you. I'd much rather fish with someone who is happy to pull the anchor, change the berley over, help wash the boat, do their part of the filleting, but primarily is good company. If you're towing your $60000 boat to the ramp with your $40000 ute and then feeling hard done to over $50 of gas contribution, mmm, well, perspective.

Maybe I'm lucky enough to be in a position where a tank of gas here and there isn't about to sour a bloody good day out with a couple of mates? But as has been said, if you're worried about it, maybe they aren't that good company/mates??

At the other end of things, if I go out on a boat with someone I've not fished with before, I'll get the gas, and make damn sure to do more than my share of the filleting, anchor pulling, or taking turns as wheelman if we're drift fishing. That's how you get invited back, and how you get into a "it all evens out over time" fishing relationship.

My 2c anyway.

Yeah good words there Rozboon. Totally agree. Money comes and goes. If they pull weight and are good company. Im happy with that
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2020 at 11:30am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

We are not in  "lucky enough position"
That really does hit the nail damn square on the head either way

Maybe not able to afford all the gas, but bait burley and straight split of gas etc for sure.
 All the other stuff mentioned.. Again hits the nail right on the head.. bottom line old school respect and curiosity.... and that is what results in in a further invite.

I have a m8/ regular crew of around 8yrs who is 1st in to gut out catch before going in the bin, net ready, on the helm when anchor comes in on the capstan keeping boat lined up, often tows with his truck...  all those little thoughtful things.
 He started borrowing our 'guest' rods etc, then we went to the boat show few yrs back and he brought some mid range basic gear..
It all gets cleaned serviced and stored along side our rods.
 Hes right into production line filleting at the end of the day.. the skinning boning.
 He uses my all traces, sinkers bait and when we divide up costs at the end of the day.. always throws in a  a generous extra few bucks ( I gave up refusing as he would slip it some where and would find a few days or weeks later )

And to those regulars who are members here...without exception....
Also a great appreciation of their input as well...
 With attitudes like that make good company.. and end of the day, catch fish or nor , thats what matters.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2020 at 1:57pm
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

We are not in  "lucky enough position"
That really does hit the nail damn square on the head either way

Maybe not able to afford all the gas, but bait burley and straight split of gas etc for sure.
 All the other stuff mentioned.. Again hits the nail right on the head.. bottom line old school respect and curiosity.... and that is what results in in a further invite.

I have a m8/ regular crew of around 8yrs who is 1st in to gut out catch before going in the bin, net ready, on the helm when anchor comes in on the capstan keeping boat lined up, often tows with his truck...  all those little thoughtful things.
 He started borrowing our 'guest' rods etc, then we went to the boat show few yrs back and he brought some mid range basic gear..
It all gets cleaned serviced and stored along side our rods.
 Hes right into production line filleting at the end of the day.. the skinning boning.
 He uses my all traces, sinkers bait and when we divide up costs at the end of the day.. always throws in a  a generous extra few bucks ( I gave up refusing as he would slip it some where and would find a few days or weeks later )

And to those regulars who are members here...without exception....
Also a great appreciation of their input as well...
 With attitudes like that make good company.. and end of the day, catch fish or nor , thats what matters.

Likewise my mates to Clap!   Makes it better than going on a charter particularly when mate tells me his missus "complaining" about all the fish he catches now going out with me LOL....
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote neil_cb125t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2020 at 1:58pm
neil_cb125t View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Some people believe that if you own a boat your minted and dont need $$ to aid in running it. The Reality is most people with boats dont earn millions they just value time on the water.

Go via the gas station on the way and fill up, get them see the $$ at the pump, easy then to say "hey can you buy some bait and berley and ice.......or do you want to get the gas??" It will set in that its costing EVERYONE $$$ to go out for a day. IF they dont then they dont get an invite....or you keep all the fish and make them clean the boat while your filleting.......they wont wanna come back then...problem solved :-)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2020 at 4:26pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Go via the gas station on the way and fill up, get them see the $$ at the pump,

Yes good idea on that basis, never thought of it like that.
We always fill up on the way to the ramp...Fresh fuel.

Throw in BfBobs comment from above

We're going to spot X, expecting to use X litres of gas and $y of bait. Split the cost by the number of people on the boat, are you in? Simple as that.

I keep records of milage fuel , where part of my fishing records including tide times etc.

Some people believe that if you own a boat your minted and dont need $$ to aid in running it.
 With an obviously  older boat dont get that as much..
 To most even a 1990s boat can give that impression thu , espec if well cared for
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Smurfy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2020 at 11:28am
Smurfy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Great advice here as usual from the Forum...

As i said in the 1st post neither of those 'mates' will be invited back on the boat...and one friendship is over as i have been bled dry enough! I might add that when we pulled the craypot in guess who had to pull it in?  No help offered, in fact he passed the rope to me rather than pull it in himself! Plus when in my boat I'M THE SKIPPER AND IN CHARGE and that makes me the boss, so we go where i say and not stand there arguing about it! I should have ditched this parasite years ago so it's good to clear the air on the Forum!

For any new mates i will lay out the facts about meeting costs otherwise they stay home. 

Thanks to all...
So you're offended...oh dear how sad, never mind.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2020 at 11:52am
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Smurfy Smurfy wrote:

Great advice here as usual from the Forum...

As i said in the 1st post neither of those 'mates' will be invited back on the boat...and one friendship is over as i have been bled dry enough! I might add that when we pulled the craypot in guess who had to pull it in?  No help offered, in fact he passed the rope to me rather than pull it in himself! Plus when in my boat I'M THE SKIPPER AND IN CHARGE and that makes me the boss, so we go where i say and not stand there arguing about it! I should have ditched this parasite years ago so it's good to clear the air on the Forum!

For any new mates i will lay out the facts about meeting costs otherwise they stay home. 

Thanks to all...

Yeah sounds like a freeloader. At the end of the day the owner of the boat, as you say, is the skipper, and has the final say on all matters, whether it's who pulls the anchor up or whether you stop for a pie on the way to the ramp.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2020 at 7:45pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

At the end of the day the owner of the boat, as you say, is the skipper, and has the final say on all matters, whether it's who pulls the anchor up or whether you stop for a pie on the way to the ramp.

Yep, well almost..
Skipper from backing down the ramp to I think final tie down after retrieval has legal requirements and can have very serious consequences if things goes wrong...

End of the day it his call, thu may ask for others thoughts, and those are only thoughts... the final call skipper takes the rap

As to skipper been the owner.. I have on several occasions asked someone to take over skipper... eg when 1st taking out over bars... 1st time negotiating the creeks of the Waikato river..

And may do so again in the future if I feel a crews has more experience uin a tricky situation... beyond that I will ask for thoughts and guidance.

Some days fishing just is hard.. again I will put "what next ?"open to crew. And when do always welcome positive input.
 I do not welcome.. "its your boat" or "you are the skipper" answers.
 But still remain skipper.
 It is verty important for the skipper to be in charge, sometimes blunt.
 An instance last time we where coming in on the bar.. one of the crew had the job of watching the waves behind, even thu nothing was breaking. Out of the cnr of my eye saw he was looking forward and he got growled for it.
Back it the ramp I sorta said kinda  a "sorry"
 His reply.. " me doing that plus other things gave him far more confidence in me as a skipper .. Not what I expected.. I did snap it short and quick , moved on to the next issue.

Page  <123>