What is the best double USB connection?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Smurfy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is the best double USB connection?
    Posted: 24 Feb 2020 at 3:07pm
Smurfy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

We just spent 6 days camping with no cell/internet connection so imagine my wife's disgust at that! Anyway the real problem is that we could not charge the phone anywhere as the boat has no USB connection, plus I wasn't too happy using the car USB as i did not want a flat battery. So I need to retro fit a double USB charger on the dash somewhere so that we can recharge the phone when out fishing. I want to drill a round hole then fit it flush on the dash.
Has anyone done this and can you advise a good product and source for this? thanks...
So you're offended...oh dear how sad, never mind.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2020 at 4:31pm
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

personally I would get a lithium battery pack that can charge your phone and other devices - quite small will run a phone for a week or so also gives you a backup cellphone supply if a power cut at home.

Better yet a lithium battery jump starter - bigger but not to big - will start boat can also charge devices phones laptop etc.

Getting a marine grade fitting in boat will cost and you cannot charge elsewhere if camping etcand I bet it will corrode out quickly...
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2020 at 5:17pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Now is it not  the idea when fishing/camping to leave the toys behind except in an emergency phone use??

Phone/laptop anti social devices,like going to the pub with friends and they take off to play pokies.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2020 at 6:54pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

We just did  a 10 dayn road trip.. most of that was no cell coverage
In the tent I have a pb acid jump pack.
 That has a cigarette light port.. into that goes a usb adapter.
 The main jumper go to old school trouble light fluro lamps in the tent rooms.
 It holds quite a few days power, dont know how many as never run it flat
To re charge if staying in one place I hook a elcheapo solar panel in to the cig port or to the jumper leads and turn on.
 If need to charge faster , then start the vechle and hook the cigarette ports of both together and go for a drive. 

Was real cool being away, and only times did connect up was between camp sites on a hill .. the check Gaspy for fuel prices , ans/or camp-mate for next possible camp site.

So I need to retro fit a double USB charger on the dash somewhere so that we can recharge the phone when out fishing. I want to drill a round hole then fit it flush on the dash.

Yep done that.. best way is a cigarette light port that also has a USB port..
Make sure it is a more expensive marine type..
And mount on a verical surface so moisture doesnt get in.

I have also mounted 2 cig. lighter ports in the lid of my battery box.. connect directly to the battery terminals with a 10 amp fuse.
 This is where I connect my solar charge when the boat is parked up.
 And if at any time something goes down, it gives me a 12v amp supply to quickly jerry wire  things like a bulge pump  or lights etc... or if someone has an electric reel.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RogueOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2020 at 8:20pm
RogueOne View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2020 at 9:53pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by MacSkipper MacSkipper wrote:

personally I would get a lithium battery pack that can charge your phone and other devices - quite small will run a phone for a week or so also gives you a backup cellphone supply if a power cut at home.

Better yet a lithium battery jump starter - bigger but not to big - will start boat can also charge devices phones laptop etc.

Getting a marine grade fitting in boat will cost and you cannot charge elsewhere if camping etcand I bet it will corrode out quickly...

I can't recommend a socket to use but this is a really good option. A PowerAll or similar would keep your devices (I hate that word) charged for ages
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote viscount Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2020 at 5:36am
viscount View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Have a look at the scanstrut gear they have what you are looking for.2x scocket and waterproof.
Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job - Paul Schullery
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2020 at 6:27am
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

Originally posted by MacSkipper MacSkipper wrote:

I can't recommend a socket to use but this is a really good option. A PowerAll or similar would keep your devices (I hate that word) charged for ages
looks good and suitable prices have really come down, like that is dual cigarette and usb - still not convinced it would last but squirt regularly with inox keep covers closed and have in a DRY SHELTERED SPOT and you will be fine.  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Smurfy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2020 at 12:38pm
Smurfy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by RogueOne RogueOne wrote:

I have one of these and it works well

That's ideal RogueOne i'll go take a look at that...thanks!
So you're offended...oh dear how sad, never mind.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big -Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2020 at 9:42pm
Big -Dave View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have had this one in my boat for years.
https://www.burnsco.co.nz/shop/12v-electrical/distribution/connectors/dual-usb/cigarette-socket-surface-mount

Never sprayed it with anything.
The USB leads however.....went nasty fairlyquick.
you can't fix an idiot with duct tape, but it does muffle them for a while...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 10:40am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

but squirt regularly with inox keep covers closed and have in a DRY SHELTERED SPOT and you will be fine.  

Havnt used inox, used CRC marine, and lost one of the ports in the top of the battery box. Since then a light spray couple times a yr with lanocoate was worked very well for a few yrs now.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 11:43am
Titanium
Titanium

Lanocote is a marine version   of inox which is food grade. Lanocote better. I find crc/wd40 attacks some plastics.