Cayo Cruz - Cuba

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cayo Cruz - Cuba
    Posted: 22 Feb 2020 at 10:37am
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

First, here's a link to Ian Smith's report. Ian used to be a regular here before heading to Canada then Au to live...http://www.saltwaterflyfishing.com.au/board/threads/cuba-cayo-cruz-trip-report.19980/#post-265804

My mate Jase and I flew into Cayo Coco airport via Houston, then Toronto. Quite a mission, but required because POTUS has shut down all entry ports to Cuba ex USA except into Havana. We arrived at CC literally the day before the rest of the crew (2 kiwis, 2 expat kiwis, 7 yankees) and got settled into the resort, changing USD to CUC (convertible tourist pesos... v. weird) before meeting 2 brits; one being Matt Harris, the well known fly fishing photag. He and his mate had been many times and reported the hardest permit fishing they'd ever had... anyway Jase, Matt and I stayed at the bar until the wee smalls, smashing the free rum and (hope the wife doesn't read this) $1.50 packets of ciggies. The rest of our crew rolled in at 2.30am having endured a rather strange travel itinerary.

Jase and I fished together all week. I didn't have many perm shots, maybe 1 per day but no ray riders at all. Si Chu (ex forum member) landed 3 perms, Ian got a nice model and another of our party landed one.

The group landed 223 bones during the week; Jase and i reckon we accounted for roughly half of those. The flats wading varied from ankle to less than thigh deep and the guides wanted the flies to land literally on top of the bones, (Do that at Aitutaki and see where it gets you!!!)

We had an excellent trip, finished back in San Fran with a morning casting at the Golden Gate Angling and Casting Club. What a privilege, what a place.

I'll return to Cuba one day I think - those perms have a grip...

You cant eat my toast fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2020 at 11:41am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Awesome

223 bones never need to go to Aitutaki again

Looks like a great trip. Thanks for posting

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2020 at 1:43pm
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

best thing about those bones was that the schoolies were in the 3-4lb range so pretty respectable. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2020 at 1:59pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Wow, that is a lot of bonefish. Sounds like an awesome trip, might have to add it to the bucket list.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 5:59pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

wow that cool,

what was the climate like Nick[being their winter] looks pretty good but imguessing not tarpon season?

DIY friendly?, love the way theres a huge amount of water thats been free of commercial fishing for decades, the sealife must be epic

By Fly, Nothing Else,Just Fly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 7:35pm
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Really nice Adam, in fact same as its been here the last month or so. Mid to late 20's in the day, but super windy for us. Never under 15kts. Never seen flats so large, as in a couple of hours to pole along one. No tarpon where we were, The whole mangrove ecosystem was destroyed in the 2017 hurricane. And the large ones run in April/May. Having said that there were a couple living under the boat wharf, a Finnish dude hooked one one night and his knot came undone, ooops. I'm picking that the permit see quite a few flies per year - the ray riders were the ones to target for the win.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2020 at 8:08pm
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

by the way if you want to check Matt’s AWESOME photography look here https://www.mattharrisflyfishing.com/

Mint.