Land based livebait John dory rig?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ecko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Land based livebait John dory rig?
    Posted: 15 Feb 2020 at 9:15am
Ecko View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Considering doing some land based John dory hunting in an area I know produces as have caught them on softies.

I'd like to do a livebait rig... Does anyone have recommendations on how to set this up for landbased?

Its probably less than 4m deep with some rocky structure
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote terrafish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2020 at 5:15pm
terrafish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Get some slide bait clips. Should do the job nicely.
Just make sure you keep the traces short
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LBGer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2020 at 6:26pm
LBGer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

A smaller live bait under a float still works well. I have caught them on that but a lively larger mackerel can often out swim a JD. The other option is a sinker on the bottom with a dropper loop a half a meter or a meter above it with a livey on it. Spotties can be good LBs for that kind of rig. We used to catch a lot of JDs around the blow hole at the Mount on that rig. One year there was an explosion of spotties and there were literally schools of them around the rocks. This was followed by a lot of JDs in the area, followed by us, catching up to 4 in a morning.
A king on the bricks is worth 5 in a boat.