The most over rated shell fish

Page  <123
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Got-ya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2020 at 2:53pm
Got-ya View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by FizFisho FizFisho wrote:

Originally posted by Schampy Schampy wrote:

What ever happened to the humble paddle crab? Spent alotof summers camping at Kenedys Bay coro as a kid and the bloody things would draw blood if they got you properly.

Geeze Bro same, not sure your age, but I use to catch 20lb Snaps off the point over the first hill to the right. Thats going back 50ish years.

Yes PLENTY of paddles there when surcasting. Would have to use tough bait and check it frequent, but would get plenty of tāmure and kahawai as long as I wasnt fishing during daylight. The estuary that all boats exit to the far left was good for kahawai and trevally, but wow the current, needed big led with spikes.

Fond memories Schampy.

+1 Used to camp on Thwaites place for 2 to 3 weeks every summer. great spot. Yes caught some good snapper off that point.
THERE ARE TWO KINDS OF FISHERMAN, THOSE WHO FISH FOR SPORT AND THOSE THAT CATCH SOMETHING.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2020 at 3:27pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Got-ya Got-ya wrote:

+1 Used to camp on Thwaites place for 2 to 3 weeks every summer. great spot. Yes caught some good snapper off that point.

Wow another member of the club haha. It wasnt popular (if even well known), even now its still pretty remote. Pauanui was the place for most Aucks folk. I remember going to Waikawau to surf and Little bay to dive/spear. The place is a shell of its former self, much like everywhere I guess. If Im going to make that much effort now, I launch the RIB at Port Charles and fish the coast up to fletchers etc. But Im sure out of Kennedy bay, to the left there is a lot of reef in close I would like to explore if I ever go back.

I mostly go east coast now which is where my ancestors remain.

But yes some very fond memories of Kennedy bay and paddle crabs, and Pipis.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Schampy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2020 at 9:17pm
Schampy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yep thats it-  Thwaites farm. Down by Cam and Margret Hunters place.  Beautiful spot.
No amenities at all during the early 80,s. Gerry Cans from near by creek for water, and a hole in the sand dunes with a small tent over it for a toilet.
Pretty much lived on Pipis, Paua and fish. Dad would set up a massive canvas tent mid December and we would stay there until school started again at end of Jan.
Best childhood memory's ever.  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Got-ya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2020 at 11:01pm
Got-ya View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Stayed there again about two years ago for the first time in about 30 years. It basically has not changed. Drive in on the farm track is just the same. However the original farm house burnt down a few years ago. Launched the boat off the beach and went out to all the old spots for shellfish and crays and they were still all there, its basically the place that time forgot and it was a pretty fantastic trip down memory lane for me.
THERE ARE TWO KINDS OF FISHERMAN, THOSE WHO FISH FOR SPORT AND THOSE THAT CATCH SOMETHING.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Schampy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2020 at 9:40am
Schampy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yeah we cruised around to Kennedys by boat from Whangapoua a couple of years back and your right. I was expecting it to be covered in houses, but only a couple.
The bay before kennedys  had a couple of houses  on it too. We had camped there one year, on the site of an old school house.... the only thing remained was a brick chimney under giant pahutakawas and a fresh water stream. Everything had to brought around by boat. I vividly remember finding an old orchid up in the bush behind where we camped. I guess there were quite a few people living around that area during the kauri logging/ gum digging days. Awesome spot.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2020 at 11:05am
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Kennedy Bay I think is controlled by Iwi,got a few dirty looks when launched a dinghy there a few yrs ago. Vehicle untouched so all was good.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 5:52pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Schampy Schampy wrote:

Yeah we cruised around to Kennedys by boat from Whangapoua a couple of years back and your right. I was expecting it to be covered in houses, but only a couple.
The bay before kennedys  had a couple of houses  on it too.

The Road helps, which is where my Ancestory kicks, great grand dad was an engineer between fighting booth world wars. They built the roads on horse back and dynamite. They would take things like Rye bread and lard as sandwiches as only thing that would keep for periods they would be away.

At the top of Kenedy bay rd, where the site seeing park is, use to be a pub, but got blown off in a hurricane. Do you remember the Morris Minor that had rolled all the way from the top of hill off the cliff but had got to the bottom without flipping. That would have been a heck of a ride haha.

If weather window suits, you dont have to get out too wide for Puka, I infact took the rod of my Granny about 1km out of the Bay and bought up a decent sized Puka, but that was 40+ years ago.

Originally posted by pjc pjc wrote:

Kennedy Bay I think is controlled by Iwi,got a few dirty looks when launched a dinghy there a few yrs ago. Vehicle untouched so all was good.

They are not fond of blow ins is the issue. You have seen the Marae?

I personally never had a problem with the whanau there.
Page  <123