The most over rated shell fish

Page  123>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The most over rated shell fish
    Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 11:31am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Haha! I'm pretty cursed when it comes to bugs. Even if I manage to find one, I seem to screw it up one way or another. I do like eating them though!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SaltyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 11:37am
SaltyC View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Like all fish, the trick is in the cooking. Overcooked by even a minute and you end up with something tasteless .

Always err on the side of under cooking it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 12:49pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by SaltyC SaltyC wrote:

Like all fish, the trick is in the cooking. Overcooked by even a minute and you end up with something tasteless .

Always err on the side of under cooking it.

Totally agree & imo no better way than simmering in seawater then chilling in the fridge after having cooled down.

Must admit tho have had a couple of disappointments ... usually with the larger specimens or if have been frozen. Also wonder about those that have been kept alive confined to those glass tanks in dubious coloured saltwater.

But conversely when it all comes together.... am .... yum ... drooling at the mere thought !  
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 12:54pm
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I can't get enough of them. Split em down the middle, couple of good sized knobs of decent butter, fresh minced garlic, cook on a BBQ on lowish heat (even better if hooded BBQ) until the butter/garlic mix has fully melted and dispersed through the bug, then crank the heat way up, flip em over and give it a light sear on the exposed side.

All I need after that is a nut-cracker for breaking open the trickier bits, and a crisp beer. Yum.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 1:51pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Highly over rated bugs,prefer bluff oysters raw.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 2:12pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by pjc pjc wrote:

Highly over rated bugs,prefer bluff oysters raw.

Paul ... happy to trade a 10 ltr pail of pacific oysters for a bug anytime
you like.

(neither of us doing so illegally mind you but simply out of compassion in order to save you the trauma of having to endure eating something you don't enjoy)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 2:29pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Crays are overrated.

Big fresh aussie prawns are da bomb.

And I love cheap mussels the best here.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 4:33pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Try steaming it versus boiling.

You will notice the difference.Clap
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 4:36pm
Marligator View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Bazza is that a 10 ltr pail of shelled Oysters i.e. 10 ltrs of oyster meat, if so then i will arrange the bug for you. Oysters are about my favorite seafood probably just behind Paua.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 5:10pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by Marligator Marligator wrote:

Bazza is that a 10 ltr pail of shelled Oysters i.e. 10 ltrs of oyster meat, if so then i will arrange the bug for you. Oysters are about my favorite seafood probably just behind Paua.

Alive or frozen in the shell ... no sorry not the meat alone which would I imagine equal far in excess of the legal limit many times over.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 5:24pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

"Bazza" it appears I am not alone.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishful Thinking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 6:55pm
Fishful Thinking View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Scampi for dessert. Hmmmm.
PhD: Pool Hall Diploma
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Got-ya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 7:23pm
Got-ya View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Enjoy catching them and they are great domestic credit, but for me overrated. Put enough garlic butter on them and they are edible.
THERE ARE TWO KINDS OF FISHERMAN, THOSE WHO FISH FOR SPORT AND THOSE THAT CATCH SOMETHING.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 7:32pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

When i saw the heading of this thread I thought "finally, someone else is prepared to call out the tuatua!".

I know collecting them is a rite of passage for Kiwi kids camping up north - I spent hours doing just that - but I just can't get excited about the end result, or the hassle of soaking out the sand, shelling, chopping etc.

Not sure I understand the obsession with paua either, particularly if you have to take to it with a hammer...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 8:19pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Tuatua = bait Lester
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 8:29pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Muppet Muppet wrote:

Tuatua = bait Lester

Yip, a bit of salt on top in an icecream container, and the terakihi and other fish love 'em. Can't get excited over a plate of gritty fritters, though!

Good call above re the Aussie prawns - straight off the trawlers at Maloolaba, where they are cooked immediately on board when caught. Bit of French bread. Consume.

And also on the mussels. I used to go on trips with my dad to Whatipu (Manukau Heads) and get them off the rocky headland. All the reachable ones had been stripped, but he'd made a rake on a steel pole with prongs and a basket on the end and waded in until he could reach down and rake bunches free from a couple of metres below the low tide mark.
Big, juicy green lipped mussels. As a kid, it was a long walk back through iron sand with full buckets. but they were very tasty.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 8:33pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Crayfish  the best for me, only rivalled by oysters and John Dory... each to their own. Used to dive a lot for them with lots of success. But now prefer catching other fish that are possibly as much fun,  or more glamorous, or challenging .. like marlin,  gurnard, kingfish and the humble snapper.
Piper and flounder taste  bloody good and should put more time into those.

Had oysters tonite, pacific ones, on a heavy rye bread and butter... bloody awesome with a cheap champagne. Accompanied by a great waiheke produced Spanish vinegar.
Snapper Rock at Tuts has best mussel dish I have ever tasted.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 9:38pm
Marligator View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Tuatua fritters yum, and big "tuatua" Winksoup or fritters, those were the days.

Bazza I knew what you were offering.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lingee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2020 at 4:40am
lingee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

smoked crayfish , split shell add butter and slow smoke
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote v8-coupe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2020 at 2:48pm
v8-coupe View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Marligator Marligator wrote:

Tuatua fritters yum, and big "tuatua" Winksoup or fritters, those were the days.

Bazza I knew what you were offering.

Yup.
Toheroa, Pipi, Tuatua and Cockles combined to make fritters, chowder or soup.
Legasea Legend Member
Page  123>