Video comments and discussion

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Video comments and discussion
    Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 2:15pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks for the comments on the video. Glad you enjoy watching them.  As long as you do I will try to keep them coming.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 9:51am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Yep, it is an interesting form of media and with so many 'backyard' producers out there (sorry ) it is fascinating to watch how everybody attacks it. I have never been much of a fishing Youtube watcher, but now I'm watching more and more just to see the different styles of production and presentation.

Nearly all of them I rapidly flip through. The content of the production is perhaps measured by how long I actually spend watching it. Very few do I watch entirely. Many that take too long to get into it I turn off completely. The last one was a bloody sunrise over an Australian bass lake... don't have enough time for that. I'm sure the sunrise was very nice, but viewed on a device... maybe not.

Andrew Burden is doing great stuff with his Flytackle NZ Facebook downloads- short, rapid and witty with a bit of technical info thrown in. It suits my limited attention span.

Lots of others out there that I could mention, but I'd probably be critical of most of them. Latest one was Jighead TV from Dubai. Not fly fishing, but light tackle in a heavily populated urban environment... fishing that interests me. Unfortunately the guy buggers about too much for my liking, I've learnt to start his videos half way through.

So yeah, you're totally up against it Johan when there are so many armchair critics like me about, but I'm looking forward to the next one. I'll be very interested to see what you come up with next.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 9:05pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

It's interesting to hear what people like about videos and what keeps them watching.  I also share your feeling about videos that take too long to get into it and show extended B-roll. On the other hand I also don't enjoy just watching people catch fish in slow motion to some cinematic music.  

I need some sort of story to it. That's why I like people that talk while they are fishing and tell me what they are doing and how they are doing it. I also really want stuff I have access to myself and can go and do without huge expense and with the gear I have.  Not much point in watching videos of tarpon until I am planning a trip to catch one. 

I follow a few local Youtube channels like this, notably TroutHuntingNZ. Each video also forms part of a longer story that spans the life of the channel so keeps me watching each new video.  I would rather watch one longer video I know will be enjoyable and contain useful fishing info than sift through loads of bad stuff, so I keep going back to what I know I enjoy.

I am still working on how my videos will work out in the end. I am trying to film them and edit them as I would like to watch them and what I would like to see.  The one thing I hate is the gopro on my chest, but not much I can do when I don't have a cameraman and I am not on the boat.  That chesty cam footage drives me nuts but it is very hard on a river on your own to do much else.

I am keen to hear other's views on this to get a general feel of what people want to see and like in general, but maybe these two posts belong in an new topic with an appropriate title?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 9:22pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Sorted

Agree about the dialogue, especially if the subject matter is good.

Don't want to see music and fishing at all. There has to be some knowledge or interesting fishing insight gained from the video.

On the right track I'd say
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FISHBYFLY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 5:37pm
FISHBYFLY View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

best for us all to just apreciate the effort people put in,

wether its a social media post, or a story on a forum, a question, a video, picture,etc

and the end of the day it was something they wanted to share,a reflection of there interests/ passion.

The best thing i like about the youtube vids is its mostly DIY guys giving it a crack, the extreme lengths some go, and the others that are just totally relaxed and just buzzed on being on the water.honest.

the others were there promoting a lodge or commercial enterprise of some sort, i take with a grain of salt, the cynic in me kicks in, and the 'Hustle alarm' goes off.LOL

By Fly, Nothing Else,Just Fly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote otdrmn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2020 at 11:10pm
otdrmn View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I enjoy making the videos for the otdrmn YouTube channel - some 110+ videos now.
I’m Quilty of the points made above but hey I’m making these for my enjoyment as well as others.
There is a significant time and effort in putting 10-20mins of video, you only see a portion of the actual film taken.
It has certainly helped my fishing looking back on these.
Every like, comment and subscription keeps me motivated to make more

G
The 4 R's ~ Rods, Reels, Rifles, Rooting
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2020 at 8:01am
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Agreed, there is a lot of time that goes into the videos and people watching and discussing the videos are what keeps me going too.  Mostly I want people to learn something and see that even a pretty average fly fisho with budget or old gear can get out there and catch decent fish in the salt and fresh.  

I need to drop the boat for a few videos as well to show it can be done from the shore too because not everyone has a boat.  I just love fishing and filming stuff so will keep making the videos.  Not sure if I will be able to keep up with the weekly thing but I will see how long I can go with it while still making half decent videos.  I am a few weeks ahead of schedule now thanks to a 2 day trip to Turangi, so that will give me some room to get a few decent salt trips done to slip in between the trout videos over the next few weeks. You may notice I am alternating between salt and fresh.

On the other hand I do watch a lot of videos of all sorts, not just fishing, so I understand that some of it can be really frustrating for the viewer. I want to avoid those pitfalls if I can, which is why I need to know what bothers my viewers. I ultimately want people to watch the videos and enjoy them.  That's why I am always keen to improve and know what are the things in my videos that annoy people, because if I know I won't do it or will find a way to improve or avoid it.  Just can't do anything about my pretty face and stunning accent LOL

Craig, I have cut this weeks video to try and make it more engaging and a bit shorter.  It's trout, but I am sure you can spare a few minutes from your armchair to throw a critical eye over it.  I really don't mind you getting into the things that you don't find work because if I can engage a challenging viewer like you other's may like it even more.  I have tried to find a balance between dragging it out to fill in a story and just showing fishing to music.  There is a funny bit in there about fishing to music though due to a technical error.  Anyway.  Feedback welcome on any of my videos.  I don't just want to hear what you like... I want to improve so I make better videos.

Next one is due Tuesday at 5pm.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2020 at 10:16am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Ha ha, no worries. I like the idea of being "a challenging viewer" I look forward to casting my critical eye over it
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote m.d.hoffman@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2020 at 8:48pm
[email protected] View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

As a neophyte cinematographer ( although did help produce two 30 minute super 8 movies in 6th & 7th form) I am in transition from one long unedited no frills output towards something with editing to get out some of the out of focus, camera jolting like a force 10 earthquake and long boring bits of looking at a  flat piece of water where a fish may be lurking or even hooked. I've found the the iMovieputs a huge amount of editing capability in front of you with a very straightforward set of controls. The killer isfile sizes are big - over a gigabyte for 1080HD FOR 8-10 minutes, let alone going for 4K UHD format! 8k for amateurs is already on the way but by then you enough quality to do as good as your current stills camera, so the idea is shoot video for everything and extract stills if required.
BUT the name of the game is editing. And Youtubers sweat over the stats that show how much of the video is watched - some of my earLy stuff is down around 40-50% Iis viewed before the user flicks over to another video.My shorter, edited videos get around 60-70% viewing - so snappy editing, staying on subject is key. 
My pet peeve is the night-drive to the fishing spot, the long boat ride for 3- 5mins before the fishing starts - aargh - fast forward or abandon when I see that!
My aim for next one is to try and build a coherent beginning,middle,end with some knowledge imparted as well as gratuitous tackle close ups, fishy splashing and slow motion underwater clips.
@JOFLY - your output works for me because you shoot well exposed, in focus footage that captures the action and angler and you stitch it together to keep the momentum flowing and the interest engaged. Good talking to the camera too. Thumbs Up
The Auckland Swoffer
www.AucklandSwoffer.wordpress.com
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2020 at 4:50pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by FishMan FishMan wrote:

Ha ha, no worries. I like the idea of being "a challenging viewer" I look forward to casting my critical eye over it

I'm sure you will make a great one.  This week's video is trout so the link is posted in the freshwater section.  Looking forward to your feedback.  I hope you are at least a subscriber already LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2020 at 4:55pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

@Wolfie, we really need to work out a session to get together for a fish and I am more than happy to give you a few tips on the filming and editing part.  It's not easy filming oneself and getting decent footage. Especially with a FPV camera on you chest. I hate it.  But alas we are crew-less and have no choice.  There are ways to make it work and I am constantly tweaking my setup. Sometimes not for the better.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2020 at 5:54pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Excellent trout video Johan The river looked really nice and that brown was a beauty

The chest strapped GoPro gives some interesting shot perspectives.

Thoroughly enjoyed the fast intro too All good stuff!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2020 at 10:14pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

That's rather positive Craig Big smile and good to hear.  I'm still not sold on the GoPro on the chest.  I need to tweak it and I have seen others do it much better.  I have played with both placement and settings and I think I have a reasonable idea what I will be trying on the next trout session.

Early results seems to suggests that the tighter cut has resulted in a better average view duration which is good. I hope that means people enjoy it.

Thanks to everyone that is watching and please don't be shy to comment and give feedback.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2020 at 5:32am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

I kind-of like the chest mounted GoPro footage due to the fact that everything is calm and stable when you're casting to a fish and then, once you're hooked up, it's bouncing all over the place and giving close up shots of you winding your reel. Gives a real sense of "fish on!"

Sure, it does point in the wrong direction at some crucial moments and I didn't always want to see the butt end of the rod, but a good perspective nonetheless.

Don't think it would work out in the salt though... maybe with two people in the boat both with chest mounted GoPros?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2020 at 7:41am
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I have only done one gopro chest mount video in the salt.  It works much the same as the trout setup and will be what I will use when I do some shore based saltfly videos as well.

On the boat I much prefer mounting the GoPro to the boat to get a wide shot.  Ideally on the boat you could have 2-3 GoPros. 2 Mounted ones with different angles and a chest one as well with the option of underwater release shots.  The benefit of using GoPros for this is that I believe you can have a shared remote to trigger them all recording at the same time.  Such a setup would make for a much better edit but off course this means another $1000+ spent on GoPros, mounts, batteries and other accessories plus much additional editing time and storage space on the computer. I have just run out of space on my 8TB backup drive so there goes another $$ for a new one.

I am considering another GoPro or possibly a OSMO Action in the near future as I have an idea for an extra angle when fishing land based. The channel will have to grow a fair bit first though.  

The other obvious way is to just find a fishing buddy that likes filming and fishing equally as much and is available to go fishing when I am.  Easy right Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2020 at 9:55am
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The latest saltfly video is up in the Auckland who's been fishing thread and a few from the fresh in the freshwater fission section if any are interested.  

I'm keen to get your views on the last few.  Craig, are you making through entire videos? Do they keep you interested and are they providing useful info?  Doesn't count if you are watching them just because you feel sorry for me LOL

Any and all feedback appreciated. Trying to make these better every time.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2020 at 11:35am
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

I liked that last one. Interesting urban fishing. Shows how snapper like their flies slow. Great environment too
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2020 at 12:13pm
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Urban combat! Looks like fun alright!Itd be easy for me to be a critic but I dont have filming skills so cant really comment. Enjoy your stuff, you show struggles and dont paint an unreal view of the world. 
You cant eat my toast fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2020 at 8:59pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks for the comments gents.  Do let me know if there are other things you would like to see in the videos. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2020 at 6:47pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

New trout video up in the freshwater fission section, even bored saltfly addicts might care to watch LOL

As always would appreciate comments.  Spent a fair bit of time editing this one so keen to know what you think.