Stabi 1550 fisher engine selection

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Storm Petrel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stabi 1550 fisher engine selection
    Posted: 10 Feb 2020 at 8:56pm
Storm Petrel View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi team,

Seeking advice on engine selection for a stabi 1550 fisher.

Max loading would be 4 adults and dive gear. (Or hunting/camping gear on the lakes down south)

I’d like plenty of power for single skiing and bar crossings.

Currently have a Mercury 50HP EFI 2016 and it is really only sufficient with one person in the boat on a calm day.

I believe the hull plate states max hp as 75 and transom weight I think I’ve seen somewhere 160kg.

I’m liking the look of the new Suzuki DF100B but would that much power be dangerous or detrimental to the hull?

Thinking I could go for a 70HP but then for the same weight it seems logical to just go right to the top of the HP bracket for that displacement category, or am I looking at this wrong?

What’s everyone’s thoughts?

Much appreciated.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Moots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2020 at 9:04pm
Moots View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Go max hp within weight, more power the better. Ask stabi what they think it can handle on the back
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JustAnotherSpearo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2020 at 9:08pm
JustAnotherSpearo View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Excluding the manufactures recommendations as I simply dont know the answer for Stabis, but I can tell you my experience with the DF100B on a small boat.

The green bathtub my parents have is 4.5m with the DF100B. It is a lot of grunt for a small boat, it gets up and goes when needed. 
Fuel economy on it on a calm day is superb.. There is no difference in the fuel bill from 3600rpm through to 4600rpm. it gets 3.3km to a litre in between this RPM range. at 4600rpm it hums along nicely at 30mph on the GPS.

At 5000rpm it is starting to chew the fuel and there is bugger all speed increase from 5000rpm to 6000rpm. (Hull speed I believe is tapped out.)
5000rpm is 35mph 6000rpm is 42mph. (although when full with 100L of fuel 2 divers only 5700rpm is achievable at 39mph)

It would be similar weights to a 1550 stabi. Id say give stabi a call, their recommendations will be there for a reason. What extra forces would the 25hp do with their transom. Weight is one thing but what about the other forces involved? 

Also the step up from 50hp to 75hp is a seriously large jump in the grand scheme of things.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2020 at 9:47pm
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

We've got the Zuk 70 on ours.

I've posted a couple of performance figures on here, can't remember where though. Tops out approx 60kph 2-up with a normal load. Holeshot is copious.

2lph @ 6kn trolling. Max range at a sensible speed worked out a little over 200km at 18kn from 2x 25L totes.

In terms of going bigger... everything up to the 100B is basically the same motor in terms of weight and packaging. Might void your warranty, and it's not a huge boat to be doing 70+kph in. For our purposes the 70 is heaps.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Moots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2020 at 10:05pm
Moots View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by JustAnotherSpearo JustAnotherSpearo wrote:

The green bathtub my parents have is 4.5m with the DF100B.

Is the new boat not performing as well as you hoped?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JustAnotherSpearo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2020 at 5:37am
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Moots Moots wrote:

Originally posted by JustAnotherSpearo JustAnotherSpearo wrote:

The green bathtub my parents have is 4.5m with the DF100B.

Is the new boat not performing as well as you hoped?

Im just emotionally upset that old girl is going up for sale. Its incredible for a 4.5m boat but it's no lazercraft. 15knots of wind is not a fun time. Do able, but certainly wouldn't want to get caught out in 20knots +
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Schampy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2020 at 7:14pm
Schampy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Got a 75 Yamaha 4 stroke on the back of my Surpreme 4.8. Awesome engine. Bolts outa the hole like a ferrit with a rocket up its arse. Super quiet... ( they all are now days though) Cruises comfortably at 30 mph, but like any 4 stroke doesnt have wild top end power, which doesnt bother me at all. Fuel economy is outstanding. Burnt 10 liters last wkd from Omaha ramp to little barrier in what was pretty average conditions.
I recon it would be a good match for a 1550, pontoons can deal with weight (162 kg I think ) I fitted a Permatrim - which knocked off a bit of speed, but helped steady the bow in calm conditions.  Great donk.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Storm Petrel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 8:39am
Silver
Silver

Cheers! Appreciate the response. It’s good to know that reasonable fuel economy can still be expected out of the bigger engines on a smaller hull as well.

What’s this green bath tub?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JustAnotherSpearo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 11:42am
Platinum
Platinum

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Keith C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 3:03pm
Keith C View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

As a few have said above, check re going bigger and voiding the warranty. Stabi would not warrant a boat (Frontier 1410) I wanted to increase from 40 to 60 despite the weights being the same. If warranty is voided, it affects your insurance as well.
I requested strengthening during build and they were not interested in doing that either.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bigfishbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 3:39pm
Bigfishbob View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yeah max recommended Horsepower, believe it or not is more fuel efficient and the boat will handle better.

having said that, even when choosing an engine for top of the range horsepower, go for the one with the largest displacement. It will have more mid-range torque, which also help performance.  

Also check torque comparison figures as well, logically more displacement equals more torque, but some engines get more torque with different cams and fuel and spark management, from lower displacement engines. 
www.waikatosportfishing.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Haularse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 2:10am
Haularse View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by Bigfishbob Bigfishbob wrote:

Yeah max recommended Horsepower, believe it or not is more fuel efficient and the boat will handle better.

having said that, even when choosing an engine for top of the range horsepower, go for the one with the largest displacement. It will have more mid-range torque, which also help performance.  

Also check torque comparison figures as well, logically more displacement equals more torque, but some engines get more torque with different cams and fuel and spark management, from lower displacement engines. 

Great Idea on the torque comparison, but where would you find that information?
The phablets I have seen on outboard engines don't seem to show that. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big -Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2020 at 6:19pm
Big -Dave View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I think manufacturers are cagey about torque figures.
I would look at fuel consumption rates at mid range revs. Lower consumption should mean the engine is producing efficient torque, otherwise the fuel curve would be inflated to compensate.
you can't fix an idiot with duct tape, but it does muffle them for a while...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Storm Petrel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2020 at 3:12pm
Silver
Silver

Thanks all for the responses.

My deliberations have finally came to an end on Friday, accepting the quote for a Yamaha F75. It was between the F75 and the Suzuki DF70. The Zuk was a good bit cheaper but I wasn’t very happy with the local dealer previously so that’s a shame. Anyway, the Yam dealer is Stabicraft here in Invercargill so they should be fine (fingers crossed), also they had a field days sale with free rigging which brought the Yam package down about $1500. Lastly this guy pretty much sold me on the Yam, absolute cracka! https://youtu.be/TneQmKUNvw4

I ended up searching a bunch of performance sheets for each motors fitted to different hulls, hard to get an accurate comparison but at least have me a ballpark. I expect the F75 displacement at 1.8L vs the Zuk at 1.5L displacement to be slightly thirstier, but better hole shot.

Anyway cheers again for your help. I’ll get it on the back in the next few weeks and then get back on here with some results for you to have a squiz at.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Schampy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2020 at 5:47pm
Schampy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Can tell ya right now.... the yam wins. More punch, better fuel economy , quieter.
Dont get me wrong, I loved my Suzuki 70. It pisses all over the Yam 70. But gauges are a bit ordinary and no hr meter is annoying. The 75 is a porker..... but man it has some get up and go. Push the throttle down and  you just reel in the horizon. Get one- you'll see.
Yams fuel management gauges are way better too. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Johnny Watson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2020 at 6:03pm
Johnny Watson View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Interested to see how the 75 Yammy goes
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sharknado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2020 at 10:42pm
Sharknado View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

We've got the same hull but light fibreglass CC.  Merc 60 bigfoot (command thrust).  The longer stem on a short boat makes it sensitive to the trim.  When it gets sloppy can trim up and the nose sits up nice and high and it rides well.  Your design seems to have a lot of weight forward so will tend to nose down unless power on tilt up.  I put a $150 hydrofoil on at xmas as an experiment, so far success.  Extra 3 kn top speed flat water but more importantly it lifts the arse end up and sits comfortably on the plane 12kn with the nose up high so the hull can do its work when it gets ****ty.  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sharknado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2020 at 10:53pm
Sharknado View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by Sharknado Sharknado wrote:

We've got the same hull but light fibreglass CC.  Merc 60 bigfoot (command thrust).  The longer stem on a short boat makes it sensitive to the trim.  When it gets sloppy can trim up and the nose sits up nice and high and it rides well.  Your design seems to have a lot of weight forward so will tend to nose down unless power on tilt up.  I put a $150 hydrofoil on at xmas as an experiment, so far success.  Extra 3 kn top speed flat water but more importantly it lifts the arse end up and sits comfortably on the plane 12kn with the nose up high so the hull can do its work when it gets ****ty.  

Sorry, this was supposed to be under JustAnotherSpearos post above.  However, on a small boat in particular, the affect of a hydrofoil is worth considering in combination with outboard.  $150 is pretty cheap engine upgrade.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2020 at 8:44am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

However, on a small boat in particular, the affect of a hydrofoil is worth considering in combination with outboard

1/ Manufactures engine warrentee goes out the window... noticed they do not provide factory  holes ,or have a factory foil.
2/Cause is either way under powered, and/or incorrectly loaded and/or incorrectly propped, and/or engine incorrect height

IF engine height load balance and power good, a prop with more rake and correct slip% will lever the stern up

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sharknado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2020 at 9:25am
Sharknado View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Totally agree with your points.  I didn't want to put holes in my outboard so I got a no-drill foil that bolts onto the trim tab.  Then I could take it off if it didn't work.  On our setup (4.5m CC 60hp) it works though.  The other benefit is it reduces the tendency to nosedive in a following sea so stay dry.
Page  12>