Full moon + banana + hammerhead = fun times

Post Options Post Options   Likes (9) Likes(9)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Full moon + banana + hammerhead = fun times
    Posted: 09 Feb 2020 at 8:21pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

9 Feb

A stunning dawn was brewing as I got the 6-year-old strapped into his life jacket and settled into the passenger seat of our little FC465. But I didn't think the omens were particularly auspicious: full moon, slack water quite early, and then stiff breeze expected against the tide. 

Tough conditions for my first bait and berley mission for a good couple of years. I'd made the call to ditch the softbaits so the boy would be actively involved the whole time. I'd dusted off the trusty Ugly Stiks, found a sabiki rig, re-attached the Railblaza bait board, and dug out the berley basket. After a few moments thinking hard, I remembered how to snell a hook on the leader!

It was indeed a lethargic pre-high tide current in the Tamaki Strait as we found a suitable spot in 9m where there was a little slope and some bait sign passing through. I flicked out a couple of light strayline rigs with half pillies while I loaded some salmon berley into the basket and deployed it towards the bottom.

Bait and berley definitely requires smart organisation on board, particularly with a little fellow itching to get amongst it. 

It was about then that I realised he'd innocently brought his partly consumed breakfast banana on board, tucked safely beside his seat. Hmmm...  

However, we soon had a small keeper on board and the boy dropped sabikis into the berley trail - yes, some chunky jack macks had turned up. Great. Just what we needed for Sam Mossman's rig of a half still-twitching mack on two big circle hooks, cast way out the back to entice any bigger fish. It's worked well for us before, would it again today?

Well in the next couple of hours as the outgoing current picked up, Dad was kept busy baiting up several rods and manning the berley, and together we took turns battling a range of snaps in three size classes: low to mid-30cms, 40-43cm, and two very respectable reds for the Tamaki shallows - 61cm and 57cm, both on the twitcher half mack. They just buckled over the rod in the holder without warning, and pulled line hard. Exciting stuff.

Our last customer had the telltale shark feel - turned out to be a beautiful 4ft hammerhead which we got to the side of the boat before it thrashed on the surface and bit through the trace. The moment of the trip for the 6-year-old!

It was time to point for home into the strong Sou/SWer, with a great bin of fish and another beaut father and son trip in the memory banks.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2020 at 8:40pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Awesome Lester very nice snapper
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2020 at 8:44pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good stuff ttk, couple of decent fish for the Tamiki strait. I launched from Maraetai on Saturday with my 18 yr old daughter and headed straight to Duders park area. Binned 8 good pannies.
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2020 at 9:27pm
Speedy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Ahh that's gold right there Thumbs UpThumbs Up Fantastic stuff mate...
Proud supporter of Ronald McDonald House & the team at Legasea

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mejiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2020 at 9:36pm
Mejiro View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Great report and awesome to see the young feller getting into it
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Clifftastic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2020 at 8:58am
Clifftastic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Lovely work Lester! 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2020 at 8:59am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Going bait and burley...Thumbs Up

Cool report.. all about what fish should be...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2020 at 9:10am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Excellent Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sufishent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2020 at 9:18am
Sufishent View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Excellent work
You can never have enough fishing tackle
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2020 at 11:03am
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Inspiring report.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 700 LTR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2020 at 12:41pm
700 LTR View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Awesome Report! 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2020 at 9:03pm
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice Lester!Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote brmbrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2020 at 8:07pm
brmbrm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice one Lester.  Shame about B&B.......

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2020 at 8:44pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by brmbrm brmbrm wrote:

Nice one Lester.  Shame about B&B.......

Haha, yes indeed - after several years on the softbait learning curve to where I'm pretty confident, I turned the clock back a bit.

I didn't enjoy the clean up back home! It's amazing how much bait, blood and bits of crap get everywhere. I'd forgotten how bad a bag of sun-ripened squid bits smells!

But I'm sure we wouldn't have done as well in the windy conditions on softbaits, and it was all calculated to help my boy get his joy for fishing back after a tough outing last time. He's been buzzing since, so it was worth it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2020 at 8:49pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by kitno kitno wrote:

Good stuff ttk, couple of decent fish for the Tamiki strait. I launched from Maraetai on Saturday with my 18 yr old daughter and headed straight to Duders park area. Binned 8 good pannies.

Thanks mate, did you have to get a leave pass from Uncle and co to venture away from your beloved Tauranga Harbour flats? Big smile

From memory, it's your old stomping ground up here? Glad to hear you had a good trip with your daughter and got some nice fish. I have heard a lot about the 'Clevedon flats' near Duders. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2020 at 9:03pm
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks for the positive comments, folks. 

The fishery on our doorstep may not be as good as some people remember, but I reckon we're pretty blessed to be able to venture 10 minutes from a beach in a major city and have a rewarding outing like that one - even with full moon and a banana.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2020 at 10:12pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by The Tamure Kid The Tamure Kid wrote:

Originally posted by kitno kitno wrote:

Thanks mate, did you have to get a leave pass from Uncle and co to venture away from your beloved Tauranga Harbour flats? Big smile

From memory, it's your old stomping ground up here? Glad to hear you had a good trip with your daughter and got some nice fish. I have heard a lot about the 'Clevedon flats' near Duders. 

I had to stay on the town side of Duders point due to the ugly chop on the flats and the fact I was in a 3.3m inflatable aswell. Been fishing that area for close to 35 years now and it still holds fish all year round.
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sambosi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2020 at 10:22pm
Sambosi View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thumbs Up