Boat size and setup safety for the 3 Kings?

Page  <123
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2020 at 8:54am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Some people ask "why would you want a second engine, twice the maint etc"

Quite a bit of mention re twin engines..
The economics of running a pair of engines, over capital and maintenance costs on high use hulls over single engine is huge When set up right.
Some how so many consider twin engine  and even aux. engines as a safety thing...even aux  are there for trolling speeds that cant be achieved on the main engine without re propping for telling then having huge gas bills for normal use.. espec on lakes etc.

And as far as smaller boats heading out great distances... it about the skill and knowledge of the skipper and the modern accurate data of wind, swell and chop that is accurate to 2 or 3 hrs  3 days (often more )

Crap happens not because of the size of the boat but because of the lack of skill and knowledge of the skipper (maybe that word should not be used just there).. or is someone who just play Russian roulette pretending to be a tuff guy hero.

Same applies to small boats and bars...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2020 at 10:09am
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yes - anything is possible - basically. Just a matter of how the odds are stacked as to whether it was a feasible proposition with near 100% chance of success or a crap shoot and get lucky and come home.
Brian Firman (Profile boats) delivered a 7m approx Profile boat to either Nuie or Norfolk - think Nuie. 220 drums of fuel strapped across the stern.
Anything is possible.
Just a matter of how well planned and capable crew - in terms of making the right decisions and knowing the boat. As Steps says.
I have done some big adventures which others may not think possible or sensible. But never been in a position where I have had concern for the outcome. Always well withinthe parameters I have been comfortable with and capability of the boat.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote riga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2020 at 1:26pm
riga View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

We have done it three times in a 7.5m Lazercraft with a 250hp Honda.

All times have been mint forecasts (need to be careful with opposing swells - often have both an easterly swell then a south westerly comes in from Tasman).  Currents are also crazy up there, 10knots wind against tide can be very messy.

As others have said best fishing is the banks.  We have only ever done King Bank which is another 10 plus nautical miles from the main island.

Have stayed up there for three days at a time anchoring back at the main island - sometimes quite sloppy at night.

We normally took 500l of fuel and had both VHF and a Garmin Inreach for communication and multiple epirbs.

Lots of ground to explore.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2020 at 4:55pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by riga riga wrote:

All times have been mint forecasts (need to be careful with opposing swells -

And Im sure you would have notified coastguard just heading out the cape etc of the plans and when planning to return etc.

To me its the fact its an open straight. That was my point with what Espresso does in his 6m boat in the Gulf, there are a lot of other boats around, he notifies coast guard, the areas if blankeketed by islands and he too uses the best possible forecasts.

The big difference is this is a strait and for me thats why it deserves a lot of respect. 46km might not seem far. But a small change in Metservice can turn that 46km nasty real quick. But it doesnt mean you dont get back. You just get back much slower, as Steps was alluding too with the skill of the Skipper.

Im still on the multi engine and multi boats crossing together if in the smaller 6-7m boats. Prepare like the worst could happen and you will not be taken by surprise.

The thread wasnt meant so much about boat size, bur more how unpredictable it can be even at the best of times and how to prepare for that, and I think we got a lot of great answers. Thanks everyone.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote riga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2020 at 5:20pm
riga View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by FizFisho FizFisho wrote:

Originally posted by riga riga wrote:

All times have been mint forecasts (need to be careful with opposing swells -

And Im sure you would have notified coastguard just heading out the cape etc of the plans and when planning to return etc.

To me its the fact its an open straight. That was my point with what Espresso does in his 6m boat in the Gulf, there are a lot of other boats around, he notifies coast guard, the areas if blankeketed by islands and he too uses the best possible forecasts.

The big difference is this is a strait and for me thats why it deserves a lot of respect. 46km might not seem far. But a small change in Metservice can turn that 46km nasty real quick. But it doesnt mean you dont get back. You just get back much slower, as Steps was alluding too with the skill of the Skipper.

Im still on the multi engine and multi boats crossing together if in the smaller 6-7m boats. Prepare like the worst could happen and you will not be taken by surprise.

The thread wasnt meant so much about boat size, bur more how unpredictable it can be even at the best of times and how to prepare for that, and I think we got a lot of great answers. Thanks everyone.

Yes calls to Far North Radio each morning and night on intentions for day and anchorage etc. (Don't believe Coastguard is involved with trip reports up there).

As you mention it is a big stretch of water and once you get a bit north of the mainland any sea state from the west coast (swell and chop) combines with whatever the east coast was getting and can get worse.

The first time we went up was before the main charter or gamefishing season and there were only 2 commercial boats we saw the whole time.  The subsequent trips were during the main season and more activity up there.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JustAnotherSpearo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2020 at 7:30pm
JustAnotherSpearo View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Bit off topic but how do you find the big lazer? My idea of the perfect dream would to have a rig like that you described
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jakepitsville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2020 at 8:17am
jakepitsville View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Been up there in a 6.8 Mclay, duel engines very experienced ex com captain.  The trip over was suppose to be easy, but sea conditions changed every 2 -3 miles.  Was Gnarly.  was better on the trip home.  On a perfect weather window its dooable in smaller but al lit takes is one small thing and its crazy up there.  nearly had an issue in the surtees coming back a few years ago when the wind swell changed while we were fishing the fingers - heard crazy stories of kayakers having big trouble also.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote riga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 2:01pm
riga View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by JustAnotherSpearo JustAnotherSpearo wrote:

Bit off topic but how do you find the big lazer? My idea of the perfect dream would to have a rig like that you described

Sorry just seen this.

Its a great boat.  It is very similar the Southern models in the same size range (I think Southern bought the Lazer jigs and moulds but someone may know for sure) and it looks like Southern has starting making them again under the Lazercraft name.

It used to have a planning strake down each side of the vee that was really only tack welded on in a few places and that gave way on a couple of the welds so he just got them completely removed and it improved the ride further and doesn't seem to have had an impact of the other parts of the handling attributes.

Goes really well with the 250hp Honda.  I think the top speed we got out of it was 42 knots before changing to a slightly different prop and now its around 40 knots.

With a medium load we can usually get close to 21lph for 21 knots.  25 knots for around 28lph.  Often cruise at 30 knots as the fuel burn is not too painful.

Trolling is pretty much 7 knots for 7lph so again pretty good.  

Been in some terrible conditions and still felt very safe.  Trimming the bow down into a head sea and making use of the sharp vee works well.
Page  <123