Big Eye Tuna Question

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Big Eye Tuna Question
    Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 7:53pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

So after an unusual experience this weekend with a big eye tuna I have some questions I hope those with more experience with this fish may be able to help me with.

Has anyone ever sight fished with a livie a big eye tuna anywhere in the world.

What gear did they use.

For those who have hooked big eye.
What gear and circumstances did this happen.

If you have hooked a big eye tuna can you describe the type of fight that ensued.

With respect I'm...

Looking for responses from those with real time first hand experience.

Thanks.

M
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote the demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 11:20pm
the demon View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hey , i just watched matt watson ultimate fishing . He got one on the 400 m out of whangaroa on new years day . He has a 19 minute vid on it . You will see the power of the tail and how it digs in on one side . Bit of a nasty bit when he iki;s the fish ,it slices his leg open with it mouth  and needs about 8 stitches . Have a look.
Good action there mattoo,
Also another weighed last night at whangaroa, 70 footer Defiance caught one at the 60 mile ground on a  Koyn lumo lure  , weighed 85.7 kg
they took some meat off it and sent the rest to the smoker .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JBoffshore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 1:33am
JBoffshore View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

We caught one up at the Kings tease and switch fishing. It blew up on the teaser about 6 times and then ate a live Koheru which we pitched to it. From memory it weighed 128kgs. We caught that fish on 50 pound stand up and it took around 40 mins.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 1:04pm
Marligator View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Mattoo, can you elaborate on the unusual experience you had with a Big Eye.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 4:46pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

For me Marligator it was an unusual experience.

Jakepitsville and I had gone wide from Whangaroa to drop for swords.

On one of our retrievals trying to keep the weight as we had a bad drop so ensued a slow retrieval.

As we got to the breakaway line Jake was carefully and slowly pulling up the line when he said he saw a tuna.
I didn't see it. Then he said its there again, on the third time I saw it.
Big fish I thought, unsure what type.

We got the weight in and started frantically cutting up our macs to cube and keep it interested while putting together a rig.
I pulled the Stella down and put on a large stickbait.
After a few casts no sign.
On my last retrieve Jake said he saw it again.
I took off the stickbait found a livebaiting trace and backhooked a livie.
Sent out with no weight, it drifted down and past the stern about a metre down.

I was putting another rig together, Jakes still cubing.
Jake says it's still there, i lean off the starboard to see this very nice fish ghost past the livie about a metre down and just behind the outboard, eat it you mother.....
This was no yft, it was a big fish.
He passed again from a different direction but no action other than my encouragement to eat it.
Third time another direction and woof, bait inhaled.
I thought it was a big eye or..
My mind raced to assimilate it to something else, it didn't fit.
So Jake is on the Stella, and that thing is screaming, line vertical.
I said to Jake attach to your belt as this is a long rod and the leverage will be hell.
The reel is screaming the rod is well bent, we're both Cheshire cats.

This fish did three explosive bursts all vertical.
Jakes asking me how much line and that spool looks very small, I'm scratching to remember what and how much line.

Basically fish did 400 m straight down probably less than a few minutes.
They were glorious minutes, but we crashed to reality as it all went slack.
Gutted, as we retrieved we just wondered why.
All the normal assumptions of course.

All the gear came back undamaged, with a clean inline circle hook.

We're pretty sure that in those explosive moments from start to finish we had a big eye on.
But that is just an assumption.

So hence my interest now about these fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 5:26pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Awesome experience mattoo. You spend the time on the water, and stuff happens - not always according to plan.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 5:30pm
Marligator View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Bad luck Mattoo. Would have been cool to see it swimming around the boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Rocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 7:39pm
Rainbow Rocker View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

That would have been bloody awesome. Make you keen . You never know what's going to happen when your way out there.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 7:59pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

As Shaneg said in the toots post those pic memories in your head are gold.

An hour or so after that possible big eye encounter,we had another pic to remember.
A Mako, jumped out of the water and somersaulted.

Not so unusual you might think, this shark of good volume did it three more times.

Now we weren't hooked to it and we were the only boat around.

It had a piece of line with meat and a hook I believe the fish bit someone's line were obvious.
It was only fifty metres from the boat.

I assume that it had taken a hook or bait or fish from the bluenose hunters about a k away.

The randomness of its jumps sends a small shiver down your spine as it could of easily been a Murphy and far to close for comfort as we had no bookings in our hotel,for uninvited guests.

All so cool.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 10:21pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

On the Garden Patch we had a double strike. Other guy was in chair so i took the other on stand-up.
He boated a BE of 80kg and perhaps I should have gone in chair but continued but fish was so stubborn and every time I increased drag, fish responded equally.
2 hours later had fish in leader then hook pulled.
Next day same gear and played a tuna for 90 minutes before it got off.
Thighs bruised as hell from BM harness dimples.
Hell, we go fishing to catch fish but if a bigger guy comes aalong then goot to them.

Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2020 at 7:20am
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Somewhere I have a better pic. But the leader was 1.8m long and this guy was way longer than the leader. Had it on for over 4 hrs. Finally max drag pulled the hook (going to run out of daylight). Unfortunately was only on 24kg gear. We had a fly swatter basically. Live bait.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JoshW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2020 at 12:58pm
JoshW View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Caught several bigeye in nz sight fished  from the back of the boat with whole  pillies and soft baits off north cape in feb about 11-12 years ago
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jakepitsville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2020 at 1:24pm
jakepitsville View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

JoshW how big were they?  

this thing we hooked was a flipping stream train.  Id say Mat is underselling.  I feel there was more then 1 fish, would big eye be singles or multiples?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2020 at 4:45pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks for the underselling comment Jake.

I do try not to be that fisherman that says it was this big with arms stretched further and further.

But it was a biggish fish.

I didn't see the others but accept Jakes more vigilant watching.

Interesting Josh.
Was that an intended formula or opportunistic like ours.

M
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2020 at 5:20pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

And a little humour but really what happened.

We were catching livebaits in one of my favourite never fail spots in whangaroa Harbour.
The challenge was it was outside of my normal time to get them so we started a little late at 12.30 am and caught through till 2.30 am.
Normally this takes us 1/2 an hour.

Now Jake exceeded a feat I haven't yet been able to do and hooked and landed an anchovy. Not fowl hooked actually caught.

I was frustrated with that achievement and so sought to do better.
So I used a bait net and scooped up some white bait.

To add insult to injury Jake put a whitebait out as a livebait.
Holy crap he kept doing it and massively out fished me for bait initially, they couldn't get on the hook fast enough.

Until I started using the whitebait I scooped.

I do have to say I had to ask a few times to bait my hook as I couldn't see either to well.
Good mate, well temporarily as we were back competing.
It was typical you can I can do better.
Loads of fun even if my eyelids were at half mast

Loaded up on baits finall before getting up 2.5 hours later to go fishing....

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2020 at 5:52pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Honest question... but, what makes you think it is or was a Big Eye versus a Bluefin (Pacific) ??
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2020 at 6:00pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Al,
Fair question.
As I,said it was an assumption .

And if we landed it there would be no assumption.

I have caught a few fish around the world.
So for me it was a matter of what I know based on experience and circumstances.
Basically a best guess.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jakepitsville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2020 at 6:35pm
jakepitsville View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hey there Big Al, i had neumerous sightings of the fish from depths of 25m to right benieth the boat.  It was quite still for the first few minutes and did a lot of spooky ghosting before rising and becoming alot more aggressive.  I believe I saw at least 2 different sized fish but will never know for sure.  My initial thought was yellow fin, but it lacked any sort of significant sickles, these were in fact between 30 and 40 cm and were yellowish but not day glow yellow like the fin.  My guess at approx weight was about 50-60kg.  It looked quite fat with almost a fatter shorter tail section to the yellows I have caught.  I have caught both bluefin and yellow fin and it was slightly different to both, but alas we will never know as the thing got away.  Maybe someone else has a better educated guess with my description 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2020 at 2:05pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Landed yesterday 101.6kg top effort on 24kg

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2020 at 3:21pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Very nice.

Looking at that photo with him standing there we might review our guesstimate on weight.
As the length is what we thought we were looking at and the girth as well.
Solid fish.
Page  12>