Haines V19

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cosmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2020 at 8:18pm
cosmo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hey Fiz mainly tauranga or whangamata or firth of Thames. 12 is what he wants for it with the old evinrude but I would be at 5-6 k with the expectation of upgrading the motor
i just want to go fishing..........amd ignore all my adult problems
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cosmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2020 at 8:19pm
cosmo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

And the whole thing coming in at 16-20 I and for that money just wonder if it's worthwhile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 8:57am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yep it all comes down to how deep your pockets are abnsd hull condition.
 Buying an older boat.. Always in your budget, no matter what, keep a few grand back..
If current engine proves no good.. you can replace..
 A hull (and trailer) with no motor is worth next to nothing.
With ours I held 8K back.
 New jackets flares, spare anchor type stuff..
Used it finding how reliable the engine was
 Replaced bimini, frame and clears $1200
Replaced upholstery, carpets, all the wood work, panels my self about $150.
Re propped around $500.. several 2nd hand.
That was the 1st yr.
Then decided to re power...The original engine was reliable and mint..had to find a 140hp with 20" leg.. after 18 months found a 150 V6 with a 20"...bit more in the boat account by then.
Installed that, kept the old motor for near on a yr just in case the new turned out to be a lemon...Sold that net cosr $2000.
In the mean time moded the anchor bow sprit, new seats, built a live bait tank,  much bigger bilge pump for bars, upgraded the Sounder...

In amonst the above new keel rollers (turned them down myself from blanks) new wheel bearings, refurnished all trailer surface rust with POR, welded in better gussets, 3 new tyres..Made folding doors for cabin (ladies using toilet)..
 Solar trickle charger for battery..
Re placed /re wired most of the boat wiring outside the engine looms..

Couple trips had maybe a L water in bilges...removed brass keel strip(on the trailer) drilled , dried/ pluged screw holes and re drilled , replaced keel...and larger winch/bow tow eye.)

Hope this sort of helps to give an idea buying an older boat..

Keeping in mind, Used to own a F/glass factory and KNEW had scored a solid hull with an original solid trailer (except couple bearings) and have the tools (if didnt borrowed or brought them) and skills to do most of it myself.
And 99% of it doesnt require a bloody PhD to do.

As to value...
I recon  fair sell price would be around the 12 to 16K.

Total capital and maintenance/ repair investment over near 10yrs about 17 to 18K for all of the above plus a few things forgotten to mention.

Insurance value works out to around 25K (!!!!!)
 reason is insurance values trailer , hull, motor and accessories over 1K separate then they add it up.
And motor is around 1/2 of that.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 11:09am
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yep - BOAT "Break Out Another Thousand" LOL!
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big -Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 10:12pm
Big -Dave View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by FizFisho FizFisho wrote:

Well Ive just run through the various engines and the Honda BF 225hp is SIGNIFICANTLY more fuel efficient at all RPMs

I expected the 2 smoke Etec to do better at troll speeds, it appears not so. Keep in mind this is a synthetic calculator. But looking at various forums it seems to conclude similar results

https://www.boat-fuel-economy.com/honda-outboard-fuel-consumption-us-gallons

I will attest to the economy of the bf225...
you can't fix an idiot with duct tape, but it does muffle them for a while...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cosmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2020 at 5:51pm
cosmo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

cheers Steps biggest drama really is i have a sea nymph 14-6 that is mint as ( hasn't seen water in over 20 yrs)  im only the 2 owner and i put a merc 90 05 on it thats done 150 hours and its really a mint little set up and do i want to cash it up and start on a new project
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2020 at 8:50am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

SN 14' 6" new motor very nicely powered...
 Start new project..
I have had the odd thought about the 5.5m commander... good engine good hull etc
Moving to west coast , bigger boat for the bars or something smaller  a 4 or 4.5m tinny or a 14'6" for quick cheaper run up the river,  or shoot out for a quick scallop drag..towing is easier.

Have talked to a few ppl who have had the bigger , got another smaller...
 They all say they end up using one and the other just sits in the back yard doing nothing except grief from the missus.

Then I come back to 5L (tinny) or 10L for a river run or scallop run.
 The bigger boat can get out to the scallop beds in far worse chop and stay dry. clean down about the same..

Going bigger.. an extra crew but still limited the same bar conditions..

I put a lot of thought into size/ type boat 10 yrs ago (previous experience helped) and keep coming back to.
This 5.5m I can do all I want within budget restraints , when can in most windows...

You 14' 6" if it does what you want...stick with it...
If have a little more 'ambition' in mind consider the down sides... espec the towing distance factor, and the tow vehicle investment also.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cosmo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2020 at 12:12pm
cosmo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Cheers yes good points raised thank you
Page  <12