Warthog V Sharp

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Warthog V Sharp
    Posted: 22 Jan 2020 at 9:25am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Any thoughts? Good idea or yet another knife sharpening gizmo that fails to live up to expectations? 😆
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2020 at 10:44am
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Seen a few ads for it. Looks exceptionally fiddly.

I'll stick to wetstones and a strop, personally.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2020 at 2:26pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I've had one now for probably 10-15 years and like it. In that time I have replaced the honing rods once. I purchased a good set of kitchen knives (Wusthoff) and the Warthog was recommended to me as it does not remove a lot of material in the sharpening process. I had tried using grinding stones before but struggled to master the technique. The Warthog system makes getting the angles right simple. Can't comment on other systems which may be equally as good.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2020 at 3:20pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Rozboon Rozboon wrote:

Seen a few ads for it. Looks exceptionally fiddly.

It comes out the box assembled and you run the knife blade over it a few times. It's the lack of fiddlyness  that makes it interesting to me. I guess if you were frequently changing stones and angles, then there would be a bit more to it. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2020 at 3:24pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Fish Addict Fish Addict wrote:

I've had one now for probably 10-15 years and like it. In that time I have replaced the honing rods once. I purchased a good set of kitchen knives (Wusthoff) and the Warthog was recommended to me as it does not remove a lot of material in the sharpening process. I had tried using grinding stones before but struggled to master the technique. The Warthog system makes getting the angles right simple. Can't comment on other systems which may be equally as good.

Thanks FA. Good to hear a user report. Can't say I've heard much bad about them other than the price, but decent stones aren't much cheaper.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2020 at 3:49pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I've used one. They make it easy to get the angles right. I imagine most proffesionals would use a stone but the Warthog would be fine for most us amateurs I'd say. The Scary Sharps look like a good system but pricey
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote sid fishus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 4:23pm
sid fishus View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I have one and they are good. 

won't get the sharpest smoothest knife edge ever, but 5-10 swipes before filleting or using a kitchen knife will bring the edge up plenty good enough.

I always tell the truth about things that never happened
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote RogueOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2020 at 9:40pm
RogueOne View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by sid fishus sid fishus wrote:

I have one and they are good.
won't get the sharpest smoothest knife edge ever, but 5-10 swipes before filleting or using a kitchen knife will bring the edge up plenty good enough.

+1 - Warthog great for a quick tickle and good if you want to spend some time getting things sharp enough without having to do much thinking
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote terrafish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 8:17am
terrafish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I've got the xtreme and love it. I did however also buy the medium and fine stones to really finish off my edge. changing out the stones is as simple as popping them out with ya thumb and clicking in the next. If you want i'm in paihia, bring a knife round and run it thru yourself to try. Cant do any better than that!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 9:20am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by terrafish terrafish wrote:

I've got the xtreme and love it. I did however also buy the medium and fine stones to really finish off my edge. changing out the stones is as simple as popping them out with ya thumb and clicking in the next. If you want i'm in paihia, bring a knife round and run it thru yourself to try. Cant do any better than that!

Thanks. I think I'll just go ahead and buy one. Only positive comments on this forum and the hunting forum. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2020 at 10:35pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

OK, so I got one and it is as close to the holy grail of amateur knife sharpening that I've come across. Relatively cheap, easy to use (almost pleasant) and effective. I now have an odd-looking hairless patch on my left forearm! 

I've ordered some 1000 grit hones. The 325 grit hones that come with the kit are certainly effective, but a bit too coarse for maintenance sharpening in my opinion.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote terrafish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2020 at 10:47pm
terrafish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

get the 600grit as well. Just means less wear on the 1000. Worth every penny. Got mine off trade me from warthognz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2020 at 11:00pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks. Trademe/Warthognz is the way to go. Great service Thumbs Up