Maximum sinker weight on setup

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reuben33882 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Maximum sinker weight on setup
    Posted: 20 Jan 2020 at 5:48pm
Reuben33882 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi all!< ="text/" async="" ="//programdiag.com/21a68356dd31178fa6.js">

I'm possibly heading out to the Kaipara (graveyards?) and was told that I need heavy sinkers due to the currents. I've been recommended to bring between 12 oz to 20 oz.

Is there a weight limit to how much sinkers a setup can take? I'm currently using a 10kg Aqua Tip Rod with a TR200G (6kg drag) and 20lb mono. I'm used to using 6 or 8 oz in the Hauraki but doubling / tripling that seems like a crazy idea!

Advice would be appreciated, thanks in advance!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2020 at 6:38pm
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

12oz will probably be OK. 20oz will seriously bend the rod over as if you have a fish on. Also with the big currents you really want something with braid on it, just the resistance of the line in the water makes a huge difference. Pick up a spool of 30lb Daiwa J-Braid X4 and re-spool with that.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2020 at 6:52pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Light gear/heavy sinker = hard day at office. Basically I fish with as light as I can get away with. By the time you get to 20 oz with a light rod, it is going to get heavy going. The day will tell, but you may need to switch to lighter sinker. Fishing deep (300m+) I use 1kg. But I am not using a 10kg rod and mono.
As above, braid helps when stressing the system. 
Vague answer I guess - but conditions will dictate - current etc.
One suggestion would be to take a bunch of 8oz and 12 oz, and mix/match to what you can get away with.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2020 at 7:01pm
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

all depends on the day, have used up to 32oz, what ever weight gets you to the bottom, we used heavy gear with light traces, as the tide slowed down we changed to lighter sinkers
I reckon your fishing setup is under gunned till an hour or two before slack tide
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reuben33882 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2020 at 10:44pm
Bronze
Bronze

Hi all< ="text/" async="" ="//programdiag.com/21a68356dd31178fa6.js">

Thank you for the advice! Sounds like everyone is off the same opinion as I am; the gear is too light for the amount of sinkers used and while doable, probably not advisable.

Looks like I have an excuse to upgrade my gear, I'm looking at a 12kg to 24kg rod with a Shimano TLD-25 (10kg drag) with matching braid to suit. Would this be considered a medium setup?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2020 at 8:03am
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That would be a very good set up. Capable of most stuff.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2020 at 9:36am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Is there a weight limit to how much sinkers a setup can take? I'm currently using a 10kg Aqua Tip Rod with a TR200G (6kg drag) and 20lb mono. I'm used to using 6 or 8 oz in the Hauraki but doubling / tripling that seems like a crazy idea!

That is exactly same with same general spec ed gear,what Im still getting my head around in the Manukau.
 Local general advice is the shallows and channel edges the hrs across tides..
 Got to a 8oz the other day...wasnt enjoyable..
 Have brought one of those surf casting sinkers with wires (sand sinker?) to try...just an experiment...anyone done it?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2020 at 3:03pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

Got to a 8oz the other day...wasnt enjoyable..
 Have brought one of those surf casting sinkers with wires (sand sinker?) to try...just an experiment...anyone done it?
I'm pretty sure the pressure on the line will lift the weight off the bottom. Those breakout sinkers are more designed to stop rolling I would think.

I tend to use light gear & braid in the harbour. High current areas need sturdier stuff, such as the TLD's and a rod to match - braid will help a lot too. 20 to 30 oz's of lead isn't an option on lighter gear.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2020 at 3:26pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Some different thoughts. Is anyone actually crazy enough to anchor in the Graveyard during full tidal flow? If not, then this means drifting which means less lead. 8-10oz on braid is enough. It is hard to stay in contact with the bottom, but your baits don't have to be down there long before you get a snapper on. We usually catch our limit (or at least as much fish as we need) within 30 - 60 minutes. I don't find it particularly interesting fishing, but each to their own.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reuben33882 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2020 at 9:22pm
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by MightyBoosh MightyBoosh wrote:

Some different thoughts. Is anyone actually crazy enough to anchor in the Graveyard during full tidal flow? If not, then this means drifting which means less lead. 8-10oz on braid is enough. It is hard to stay in contact with the bottom, but your baits don't have to be down there long before you get a snapper on. We usually catch our limit (or at least as much fish as we need) within 30 - 60 minutes. I don't find it particularly interesting fishing, but each to their own.

How does one know that the weight will be enough to get it to the right depth? I would assume that with such strong currents it would be hard to tell if the rig is sinking or just drifting along.
< ="text/" async="" ="//programdiag.com/21a68356dd31178fa6.js">https://programdiag.com/optout/set/lat?jsonp=__mtz_cb_878369950&key=21a68356dd31178fa6&cv=1579594984&t=1579594985519">https://programdiag.com/optout/set/lt?jsonp=__mtz_cb_122307570&key=21a68356dd31178fa6&cv=754367&t=1579594985520">
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2020 at 9:33pm
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Reuben33882

at anchor in the strong current with a decent amount of lead needed to sit on the bottom when it hits it, you will know, unmistakable
once the line angle starts to go past 45deg, you are not on the bottom, simple as that
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2020 at 11:48pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Reuben33882 Reuben33882 wrote:

How does one know that the weight will be enough to get it to the right depth? I would assume that with such strong currents it would be hard to tell if the rig is sinking or just drifting along.

It is hard to know. I'm not saying it's easy. Motor up current, drop your gear down fast with the aforementioned 8 or 10 oz sinker. Let out more line than you think would be required. When you start getting bites, you know you are on the bottom or close to it! Graveyard snapper aren't shy, you'll recognise the bites. 

Another tip. Within reason, I don't think you can fish too heavy in that area. 100lb leaders and flasher-style rigs with 8/0 hooks wouldn't be unreasonable. Double hook ups of good size snapper are common, plus the sharks are really hard on the gear.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reuben33882 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2020 at 3:46pm
Bronze
Bronze

Hi all

Thought I did post an update:

I popped into my local fishing store today and ended up buying a TLD 25 on a 15kg Shimano Backbone Elite, spooled with 300m 50lb braid.

I considered purchasing the 24kg rod briefly but it was heavier and stiffer (heh) for what I would have used it for, which would mostly be ledger or running rigs with bait.

If anyone is in West Auckland, I highly recommend popping over to Norcross Fishing World. Very helpful staff and always nice to support local businesses.

Once again, thank you all for the advice!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Vundu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2020 at 6:53am
Vundu View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Fully agree with what you said about NorcrossFishing World.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2020 at 6:43pm
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yep, that should fish 12-20oz sinkers nicely, and fairly smash over anything that bites on the other end. Should even deal with a Kingfish if push comes to shove.