Fad Positions NZ

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2020 at 8:10pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Sanford trial 1982

New Zealand New Zealand’s first FAD was moored six miles off the east coast early 1982 by Sanford (Tauranga) Ltd. The design is described as “similar to aggregating rafts already used successfullyin other parts of the Pacific” (ref. D). Catch data indicating its efficiencyare not yet available. 

Page 40
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2020 at 8:39pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Old charts had a few on them. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2020 at 9:09pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hmm, wonder what process they had to go thru.
I'm guessing back in the 80's the Comms were interested in catching Y/F.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 8:46am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Some of the FADs I've seen are big orange rafts about 6 x 4 metres and pretty easy to see.
A few years ago there was a large plank off the Cavallis. We got several Mahi one day then found it again the next day and did the same again.
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 4:23pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

These are the typical Fads I am used to. Trust me they can be hard to find. Sometimes I have come back without finding them - believing them to be gone. Only to find them a week later. Depends a lot on sea conditions. But you can be 100m away and not see them sometimes. One Fad I fish a lot , I must have 30 GPS marks for. And still have to go hunting for it sometimes.
Regards
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 5:39pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

To true Alan,

You are fighting fads on huge depths and sea height changes.
Start recording sea heights to compensate that variability of that huge length of wire..
You should build a picture to gain centre.

They are fabulous tools.

But there not fishermans tools, I like them but as a fisherman. There value for me is a potential fast feed like a takeaway.

Then I'm off hunting to find the fish.

I see value for the charter fleet, but that's a shallow type of fishing, the skippers are then driving a bus.

But it would bring money in if regular catches satisfy the travelling tourist fisherperson.

Certainly dollars in nz pockets.

I'm betwixt and between with fads here and as a fisherman.

Might keep the weekend warriors in one place while the rest can get off hunting with less Queen st traffic.

M
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 7:54pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Alan L Alan L wrote:

These are the typical Fads I am used to. Trust me they can be hard to find. Sometimes I have come back without finding them - believing them to be gone. Only to find them a week later. Depends a lot on sea conditions. But you can be 100m away and not see them sometimes. One Fad I fish a lot , I must have 30 GPS marks for. And still have to go hunting for it sometimes.
Regards
Alan

Out Perth FADs look more like this.

The swing radius arc can be in the order of 600m so they are not always easy to find.  Despite their locations being shown on navigation charts losses due to ship strikes occur most years.  GPS tracking devices are now fitted to assist recovery.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 9:43pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I'm grateful and enjoying all your input.

Thanks,

M
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Titahi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2020 at 12:03am
Titahi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The wave bouy off exmouth alway produces wahoo and mahi-mahi for us... looking forward to fishing the 4 new ones being deployed by Rec fish west in my home grounds...
"I love standing by the ocean and just knowing what its for"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2020 at 7:40am
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

"But there not fishermans tools, I like them but as a fisherman. There value for me is a potential fast feed like a takeaway.

Then I'm off hunting to find the fish.

I see value for the charter fleet, but that's a shallow type of fishing, the skippers are then driving a bus."

Mattoo - I have to disagree. But on the surface you may seem to be correct. The charter guys use them - but also fish the contours and distances between the Fads. They are a stopping off point for them. For the locals in their open boats and 30-40Hp motors, they are the food/fish source. mainly skippies, with the occaisional mahi or Y/F thrown in. Some of them still using hand lines, but most have a rod of sorts now. 20km out in all sorts of seas.
BUT - don't think the fish just jump on your hook. Waaay wrong. I can spend days trying to catch a mahi sometimes. Sometimes you see the charter guys struggling for ages to catch a skippy (live bait). The point being the things are fished all the time. So the same fish are being fished over all day every day. They go down. I have spent a lot of time trying to figure them out. You have a small window at daybreak when they naturally want to feed. Most charter guys aren't there (but the keen ones - and their punters are). And the village boys will have been fishing the last 1-2 hrs of darkness. So come 8am when the first of the 'other' charters turn up bright and early for a big day of game fishing, the Fad has already been fished for 4-5 hrs. The other window I have found is later in the day - when the charters and village guys have gone home and the Fad has time to settle. Often the only boat there. But don't think it is easy pickings - far from it. The challenge is a real one.
Regards
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2020 at 5:28pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Alan - that's why finding a big wrack of seaweed is such a lot of fun. One time we passed seaweed on port side and saw a mahi swim past all the marlin spread and came into one of Uncle's MacSkippy lure at the short starboard corner. They musy have phenomenal eyesight.
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2020 at 5:40pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

You gotta love flotsam.

We had a wooden door floating off the west coast a few years ago. Had quite a bit of barnacles and other life attached and seaborne.
It had numerous small Mahi and baby kings.

Was a hilarious bit of fun.

I can't resist the casting opportunities when I discover flotsam of any kind in nz summers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2020 at 6:39pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Stuff like that is a compulsory check out. Better than a 'Fad'. Why?? Because it hasn't been fished to.
Fishb8- totally agree. They survive on their eyesight. 
I have spent over 1000 hrs fishing Fads. Here is what I have concluded.
They are no easy pickings when fished all the time. A total challenge - in varied forms - depending on species. One which I totally enjoy. Has occupied me for yrs now trying to figure them out. The one advantage is the fish come to you. Saves heaps on fuel. But you still have to catch them. Countless days spent watching the charter guys leave empty -handed, while I have a fish in the bin. But I have time on my side. I have fished in the dark hrs before daylight - bouncing in 2 m sea, unknown location of Fad, or number or location of banana boats I'm with - they have no lights.
So look at it from the fish eyes. Stuff being dragged overhead for endless hrs every day. It is an energy equation for them. Get it wrong - they die. They simply cannot afford to go chasing everything that gets dragged by them. They can't eat plastic and live. So their eyesight is critical. But also I am sure they simply shut down for periods - go doggo. I'm sure trout fisherman get this one.
So you have to wait. And then...... stealth is still everything.
Which is why flotsam is so worthwhile - a new experience for you and the fish. Good odds for you.
No sure thing Mattoo ... not by a long shot. But a great challenge and a better way to spend a day, and the next and.. I cannot think of. And sometimes you get to eat the rewards.
Alan 
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2020 at 12:50pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Just for a bit of interest, and a report of how Fads may (not ) fish , I have copied a email rec'd today from a mate in Vtu. Ocean Blue are the biggest charter group in Vtu (4 boats) and generally are the ones organising/dropping Fads. They fish them all the time - multiple boats, each day. They are no dead cert, by a long way. Most of the luck guys have had in NZ with fads will be largely due to the fact very few will know where they are or fish them.
Regards
Alan
 I saw some birds just north of where we were fishing so put some skippy lures out. I had 3 out and one was a $4.00 pink squid that was on special at rebel sports. I had it on one of my small rods with the $19-99 spinning reel. I think it got maybe 12 or 15 lb on it. Next thing I am fighting a good sized sail fish. I wish you had been on the boat to drive for me today. I was barking orders to the first mate but she just not used to how the boat works. At one point I could see the bottom of the bail but we chased line down about half a dozen times and she was starting to get the hang of it. I knew what I needed to do but couldn`t explain to my 2IC and she panicked a bit. I had him tired out after about ¾ of an hour and had him within 10 metres or so from the boat. That’s when he went under the boat and Captain M turned the boat the wrong way and I lost him. It was a good day out and we had some fun anyway. I wish you could have been there.

Kerrys here at the moment so we are going to take 2 boats out to the fads next week and try and cover the field as far as lures go. All that is being caught at the moment out there is small YF. They are all about 5 to 8 kg but nothing bigger. Even ocean blue have been coming back empty handed. Kerry said they have even tried to get some punters to rebook later on because the fishing  is so bad. 

Legasea Legend member
Page  <12