Fad Positions NZ

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fad Positions NZ
    Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 6:15pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

So the current NZ Fad Positions .....

Are where.....!!!!??

Now I'm a strong believer in there implementation in NZ.
So over the winter I raised the subject yet again.
There was some enthusiasm.
There were also some who suggested they may implement some.

So my questions are, did you.

Don't have to tell us your position, but did you, did you consider effectiveness as per marine commercial traffic.
Are they working yet.

Was it challenging to deploy.

What did you use.

You can imagine the benefit this season with a potential increase in yft numbers. The prospect of more Mahi and the opportunities for spearfisherman and cameraman.

This country is so backward in this area re opportunities.

So did you do it, or were you all fluff.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 7:20pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

If they were deployed, we won't find out here.
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 7:40pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Your wrong Fishb8.

This forum provides opportunities that are not public.

It's not fartbase.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 7:42pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Mattoo - it is illegal. If they are there you will only find them by stumbling over them. No one is going to own up to one. Imagine the red tape that would follow- Govt pointy head crawling all over you - the end of the world would be just around the corner. Meantime..... they are common place elsewhere - even Govt funded. But NOT HERE.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 9:38pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Alan, true.

But they would be great to have especially if they were legal.

I'm interested in seeing them legal.

Promoting discussion about there value is my goal.

Because legal or safe as I see it is a priority.

I have been aware of several years of some deployed.

A few I have accidentally come across.
I'd prefer not to come across the accidentally.

I know you believe in there purpose and value.

M
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2020 at 9:14am
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Totally agree mattoo. I might even confess to having tried that path myself.
I'm not sure how you would go about promoting the idea and who would get them off the ground. Unlike Aus we do not have an organised structure as amateur fishos.
My guess is Gamefish clubs would be the likely route - get a bunch of them to team up and make a push for them.
It has to be do-able - we are prob one of the few countries without them. Just a Q of how hard.
Regards
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2020 at 1:33pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Tasmania vote Liberals and we will give you ramps facilities +FADs   recc fishing is valuable.

A MAJORITY LIBERAL GOVERNMENT WILL: • Make it easier to wet a line from the shore with over $2.4 million for new and improved land-based fishing infrastructure; • Invest $2.2 million in better boat and trailer parking; • Install artificial reefs and fish aggregation devices; • Freeze trout fishing licence fees; and • Drive growth in fishing tourism in inland and saltwater fisheries

Why is NZ so against it??
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2020 at 4:30pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks Alan and PJC,

The point is raising awareness and demand.

A post like this is a tool much lesser than it was to spread discussion, awareness and eventually demand.

Facebook and Twitter and those tools would be helpful.
I don't use those tools so maybe someone else may.

It's a sound concept that is proven.

As pjc eluded to and there are endless articles from recreational, fishing councils, clubs, commercial and governments around the world who recognise the substantial value.

It's a matter of getting the conversation going here on cloth eared politicians.

Public awareness first.
The proof is easy.
Then the muppets in government.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2020 at 4:48pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I reckon going via a Game/Rec Fishing Club is the best way to generate interest and start the ball rolling.

NP Sportfishing club build one and deployed it many moons ago, not sure how long it lasted until the famous Taranaki seas saw its demise.

And then there one west of the north side of the Knights I believe, that probably got taken out by a trawler...

But, as a question WTF has this got to do with the Govt if it is not in a shipping lane?
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2020 at 5:00pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

"But, as a question WTF has this got to do with the Govt if it is not in a shipping lane?"

I suspect the Marine dept - whatever they might be called, would have a view on that.
Thinking about it for our locality (and I have done so - several times) the location is fraught with problems.
Not just container ships - we get cruise liners coming thru, and endless trawlers ploughing the sea floor - day and night. All of it.
Very few places where it may be unscathed apart from the hazard it may present. 
So I suspect it will have a lot to do with the powers that be.
Not sure how it works in Aus/WA - but I guess they are in notified positions. My first hand experience is in Vanuatu. Where things are much more random. They are basically kept secret as much as possible - as few fishing them as possible. They are supposed to be notified to the Maritime/Fisheries Dept - they just never quite get around to providing the co-ords. So they exist as a shipping hazard.
Regards
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2020 at 5:42pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Al with respect.

As much as I want them there they are a shipping hazard.

Not just commercial but as a recreational boatie powered and sail I'd like to know there was an encumbrance in the water.

The more transparency as the Aussies do the safer and beneficial to all.

I'm surprised at your response. You would of normally pointed that out to me.

To many "catch of the days " being in your thoughts,,, lol.

M
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2020 at 5:51pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Mattoo - I think you are mis - reading my post. Agree with you.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2020 at 6:18pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Al is Catchelot, you are Alan.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2020 at 6:22pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

It appears the Ozzy ones are large buoys with trailing bits at a few various depths anchored in deep water with wicked currents on the east coast above Sydney I think.

The one in NP had a large buoy with a flag on top, I don't know what hung or trailed under water.

I don't know anything about about the one off the Knights.

The home made one in 110m off the chicks was about 10m below the surface.

As to shipping/yachts/launches ... all vessels. I have worked on several Navy Hyrdrographic Survey ships, so I have seen chart corrections, up date to mariners charts and so on being created and then distrubuted... which these day will come through with software updates, thus the area on a chart will have a hazard warning drawn around it... but yeah, this is not a fail safe method for some twat driving into it that hasn't planned his navigation properly.

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2020 at 6:30pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Speaking of FADs, does anyone know if Queens Buoy actually was one, once?Geek
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2020 at 6:39pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

OK Catchelot. Got it. me Alan.
The other issue is they move around - a lot. A GPS mark is not an accurate location. In Vtu they can be a km off the mark. Sometimes it takes 30 mins of searching to find them - grid search. I have the latest Vtu marine charts and they have Fads marked - but waaay out of date. And most never get registered.
But that would be the only way to do it here. Marked in a zone - maybe 1km wide.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2020 at 6:46pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Something I did not think about mate with respect to the swing radius, but I think the ones in NZ would be less than 200m so lesser of a problem and put in hopefully fishy areas, not where traffic is common.

As and aside, the only thing I think would be advantageous with having Govt support, is if we could make it Recs only, Comms FO.... insert TUI's ...dreams are freeWink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2020 at 6:52pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I like your dreams Al.

Good point Alan, as we have many good depths to deploy for value.

But I'd like to consider recreational priority, then Comms for nz only fish sale no export.

Nz ers to be the sole benefactors.

We must look after us first.

M
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2020 at 8:04pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well if the gamefish clubs put them in areas of gamefish you may not have much Comm pressure? No quota for billfish, yes Y/f. any quota for mahi?
Trawlers would get no benefit.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2020 at 8:05pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Here you go.How its done by the Aussies,

Has video showing fisheries deploying them,used in warmer months and retrieved in cooler months.
Page  12>