Rod/Reel Maintanance

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sgb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rod/Reel Maintanance
    Posted: 06 Mar 2006 at 4:41pm
sgb View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

After aquiring a few new reels and rods im after some ideas of how to maintain them.

Basicaly after a day out on the water how do u wash down your gear? straight water? soap ? etc

cheers Sean

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LEVCAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2006 at 4:57pm
LEVCAT View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

rods, take them into the shower, works for me.

reels, get an electric tooth brush and do the drag right up and scrub all the fishy particles off, then get some warm soapy water and just wipe it down then rinse the reels off in luke warm water not under any pressure at all otherwise the salt and leftover dirt will get washed into the small parts and clog them up. note; when washing the reels make sure that the drag is done right up. also never never hose the reels after a fishing trip.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2006 at 5:10pm
JK View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

same deal as levcat.

but finish it all off with a light coating of tackleguard (or if i've run out a bit of crc / wd40 etc)

oh and dont forget to release that drag once all is done

LedgeNZ LBG
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Finatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2006 at 5:39pm
Finatic View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yep, for the reels. Drags done up full. A light rinse with the hose to get the salt off. A scrub with some warm soapy water to get the more resistant salt and fish bait and fish scales etc off. A good shake and a dry with a towel (DO NOT try this with the baby!). Finally a spray with the Inox.

For the rods. A rinse with the hose. Spray with Simple Green or similar. Scrub with a brush. Dry. Light coating of Inox all over.
What's the cheapest type of meat? Dear balls. They're under a buck.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LEVCAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2006 at 6:16pm
LEVCAT View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

yip, tackel guard like JK said, great stuff that.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ROCKSTARS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2006 at 8:21pm
ROCKSTARS View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

i spray my rods and reels with salt away then when the gear is dry i spray with tackel guard.i use a small 1 litre hand held garden sprayer to spray the salt away product over the gear.

cheers bryani

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2006 at 8:47pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

yep warm soapy water is a must if you want to get rid of salt and all that bait in your eva grips and around the guides plus off your reel..

the reason for getting rid of the salt is......

when you put the gear in storage the condensation in the air on a rainy day will be absorbed by the salt and it will swell up and cause problems on most surfaces hence warm water will desolve the salt and help remove it..... 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2006 at 8:55pm
Bender View Drop Down
Life Member
Life Member

Car washing brush on the end of the hose .. can add soap if you wish.

Works great and is practical.

Nobody has ever come up with a great idea after a second bottle of water.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishful Thinking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2006 at 11:47pm
Fishful Thinking View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Do up the drags, go light with the Inox etc, it really does get in otherwise and can cause problems. Wipe down and then loosen drag. F.T.
PhD: Pool Hall Diploma
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2006 at 6:36am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Yeah car wash brush for me, do the rods/reels and all. Rinse off soap with a light spray then crc or whatever over the lot.

I do the drag thing if I remember. Most important of all take them apart after every drowning otherwise annually- if you dont know what to do get it done professionally although you have to weigh up the cost of paying someone vs the price of a new reel.

A couple of my Penns are around  15 yrs old mebbe more and still serviceable.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2006 at 8:39am
Bender View Drop Down
Life Member
Life Member

I don't CRC my reels. It gets into the drags and stuffs them .. even Tackle Guard (and inox) does. If I need to oil them I use tackleguard sprayed onto a rag and wiped on - never sprayed directly onto the reel.

I pull them apart from time to time (every couple of years) and use the lube suplied with the reel in the bearings and gears. Wipe any really nasty salt deposits away and then put them back together.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ohsif Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2006 at 8:57am
ohsif View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Quote: Originally posted by Bender on 07 March 2006

I pull them apart from time to time (every couple of years) and use the lube suplied with the reel in the bearings and gears. Wipe any really nasty salt deposits away and then put them back together .

Really? Thats not what I heard.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dead Ant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2006 at 9:36am
Dead Ant View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I tackleguard all the guides on my new rods before I use them.  Make sure that the first few times you get them wet that they are cleaned well and tackleguarded.  It seems to build up a film to make them less suseptible to corrosion.  This is especially on cheaper rods.

Cheers

DA

[IMG]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y228/DeadAnt/pinTunacopyf.jpg">
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Finatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2006 at 9:45am
Finatic View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yeah, don't spray the Inox or whatever you use straight on the reel. Although I have done that in the past, it didn't seem to have a negative effect on the insides. I recently serviced both my TLDs at home and they were fine on the inside. The TLD15 did wreak of fish when I opened it up though.

Used Salt Away on my rods and reels for the first time the other weekend while I was washing the boat. Worked a treat and all was left sparkling. Didn't need to scrub them at all. Might have to get a spray bottle of Salt Away just for the fishing tackle.
What's the cheapest type of meat? Dear balls. They're under a buck.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2006 at 9:48am
Bender View Drop Down
Life Member
Life Member

Quote: Originally posted by ohsif on 07 March 2006

I pull them apart from time to time (every couple of years) and use the lube suplied with the reel in the bearings and gears. Wipe any really nasty salt deposits away and then put them back together .

Really? Thats not what I heard.

Well there was the time under the 20 watt light bulb, at 11pm, after a night on the burley and rum & cokes. FT has photos of that. Not flattering.

And then there was the time after the fish smoking session, (8 hours on the Lion Red) that resulted in everything working perfectly until I hooked a rat king on 6kg and an ear piercing squeal emanated from the reel. Hmm rethink the reconstruction phase.

Why is I get motivated to pull reels apart late at night after I've been on the turps?

My mate Andy from Penn calls them the "ice cream box specials" - the ones they get back in plastic ice cream bins in a million pieces.

I got smart Ohsif - I downloaded the exploded diagrams off the Penn website. Then, after those couple of high profile failures, I actually READ the diagrams. Believe it or not, it made a difference.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sgb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2006 at 9:48am
sgb View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

cheers guys these are all great ideas
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bushpig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2006 at 10:01am
Bushpig View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Spray with saltaway when washing the boat down.
I would rather laugh with the Sinners, than cry with the Saints
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2006 at 12:08pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

if you want to get carried away you can open your new or old reel if it hasnt been done before and paint the inside of your reel with a grease called Morays its is water proof, heat resistent and eatable not that you would want make a meal of the stuff,

just a light covering painted on the inside will stop any corrosion, it last for a couple of years or more and makes for easy servicing when needed.....

i have 4 225lds which are now 6years old and they are still very smooth and corrosion free internally and each would have landed some 100/200 fish they havent let me down yet and dont think they ever will.....

the rods i use are the same age and have replaced only the tips and they still look pretty good.....

warm soapy water is a must and WD40, Tackle Gaurd or what every you fancy to bring them back up to looking new and keeping the handles free is the go......

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2006 at 12:48pm
mozz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

My mate Andy from Penn calls them the "ice cream box specials" - the ones they get back in plastic ice cream bins in a million pieces.

isnt that how all penns end up?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2006 at 2:30pm
Bender View Drop Down
Life Member
Life Member

No that Avets you're thinking of. Fresh water bearings.