New build - Tropic 12

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote MarkE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New build - Tropic 12
    Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 11:05am
MarkE View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

After having moved to the Central NI and selling off the SS18 project, I figured id build a little 12 footer to use around the lakes here, namely Taupo, Kuratau and Lake O.

Looked at a few designs but just kept coming back to the Tropic 12 by Bowdidge Marine. https://bowdidgemarinedesigns.com/tropic-12/
 Light, beamy and a huge amount of fishing room for a 12ft made it an obvious choice.

Wasn't originally gong to do a build thread so forgive me for a late start Wink

At this stage we have the hull panels (6mm Meranti ply) all glued up and the Keel and chine taped with 400g double bias glass.
Next up we will be skinning the complete hull with another layer of 400g DB.

Sea Strike 18' Centre Console - Under Construction....Build Thread here
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 10:16pm
OneWayTraffic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Wow you have quite a headstart on me there. 

I found that there are quite a few lakes in the Canterbury region where even a small dinghy can get you into the fish. I have never been skunked on Lake Georgina, where the  shore based casters rarely see them. Just drifting off the shore and casting back towards land works well. 

Consider a pair of dinghy wheels. Ramps? Who needs them. Then you can launch off Manu bay in Raglan and go off the West Coast on good days. I did that multiple times and was always fun. I learned to always go early in the day before the seabreeze picks up.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote MarkE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2020 at 11:13am
MarkE View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Sorry, been having issues posting from my phone, seems to be working ok now though.

Weve got the hull glassed now and have fitted the strakes. Will run a layer of 400g DB tape over each one, once thats done ill flip the hull to work in the inside.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2020 at 7:52pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Looking good
Looking close at the strakes, appears a little air gap at the bottom edge..
 Esay way around is a curved bead of automotive bog (or resin filled out with talcum powder) .. just enough so the glass lays down well.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MarkE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2020 at 8:20pm
MarkE View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yep, just mixed resin and filler powder to cove the edges. Should have all 4 glassed tommorrow evening.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MarkE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2020 at 12:01pm
MarkE View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Strakes glassed and hull now flipped.have coved and glassed the keel, will now tape the rest of the interior joints and run a layer over the whole inside of the hull.

M
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2020 at 3:39pm
Platinum
Platinum

That’s a really clean build. Puts mine to shame.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MarkE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2020 at 3:16pm
MarkE View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Youll get there mate, this is my 4th build so had a bit of pratice now. As long as you learn from any mistakes made its all good.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote MarkE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2020 at 6:43pm
MarkE View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Not a lot of progress over winter, inside is now glassed and seats are in position. Will glass them in and move on to the next job, most likely the transom support.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote MarkE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 5:13pm
MarkE View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2021 at 10:08am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Notice your sanding block..
I have a long sanding block, 450/500mm. It has a flexable plastic base with what looks like computer mouse foam under it. Tall hand grips each end.
With it I can block back large and small curved areas to perfect shapes very quickly.
My original board had in the early 80s 'lost' it and never been able to replace with one as good .. It had the hand grips with short bases to end of bottom plate each end...

I use it for perfect finishes on hot rods, vintage cars and glass repairs.. Both initial repair/ build (as above) and blocking hi build before final paint.
I still go back to the board for blocking rather than modern sanders.. It is Far faster, and give far better final results espec over large areas.

Very nice build...  very.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MarkE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2021 at 11:56am
MarkE View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

totally agree re. the long boards, will never get a fair hull just using an orbital. ive made a 800mm long one which ill tackle the hull with shortly.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MarkE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2021 at 9:37am
MarkE View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MarkE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2021 at 9:38am
MarkE View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MarkE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2021 at 9:39am
MarkE View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2021 at 1:28pm
Platinum
Platinum

Interesting to see the external cleats up on the bow, are they for a rubrail?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MarkE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2021 at 6:20pm
MarkE View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by OneWayTraffic OneWayTraffic wrote:

Interesting to see the external cleats up on the bow, are they for a rubrail?

theyre just temporary stiffeners, will come off once the foredeck is glued down.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2021 at 6:35pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by MarkE MarkE wrote:

totally agree re. the long boards, will never get a fair hull just using an orbital. ive made a 800mm long one which ill tackle the hull with shortly.
ortbal will create bumps and hollows,stiff long board,12mm ply 800mm long is the answer,no beers,never get it finishedBeer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote MarkE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2022 at 11:31am
MarkE View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

managed to get the inside fully glassed over the last month. flipped it, faired it and had just had the first coat of high build primer blocked back. one more coat and it should be good for primer...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote MarkE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 5:07pm
MarkE View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

couple more pics. second coat of high build epoxy guide-coated and blocked back with 180grit.

Page  12>