Any info re Stewart Island much appreciated ......

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any info re Stewart Island much appreciated ......
    Posted: 13 Jan 2020 at 8:48pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Stewart Is. has long been a destination near the top of my bucket list & to celebrate my impending 80th the family have offered to shout me a trip there.

Next comes the difficult part ie where to stay & how best to enjoy a bit of fishing, a freshly cooked cray or two & a few paua.

Have discovered from bitter experience making the right choices to suit
expectations can make or break the enjoyment factor.

Therefore would very much appreciate any recommendations or general info re accommodation, fishing trips & vehicle hire etc.
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2020 at 9:20pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Baz, I believe they have it all for you...

Meaning fishing, paua, crayfish, oysters, blue cod and deer that you can shoot off a boat early morning as they come out of the bush and mooch around the beach and eat the odd bit of seaweed.

Long time since I have been there and experienced a wonderful part of our country... I joined the Navy with two lads from Stewart IS and one from Bluff... I met the families when doing Navy surveys at Stewart Isle, great community beautiful nature and seafood, giant paua, 12lb blue cod, 14" Spotties and baby Baracoutta as bait fish the size of big blue macks.

The paua was in rock pools in knee deep of water!Clap
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2020 at 9:37pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Hey Baz, if you hang around for 5 years I'll qualify too. 
We could go & wrack them up togetherLOL

My old school mate used to own the pub down there.
Have been thinking it should be on my list too
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mr Moritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 11:04am
Mr Moritz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Never been there, but heard nothing but good reports from people who have. Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote alkirker@xtra.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 9:50pm
[email protected] View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

was there with the hunting club in may 2019, came in at Oban and then headed round to a private block at Chew tobacco bay. ( side note they have upgraded the catarmaran ferry in recent years to a good size one, we came back in 5m westerly swells Big smile )
there is a couple of outfits in Bluff/Oban you can organise hire of small boats to use for your trip.
to catch blue cod is done without effort as for the shell fish the weather kept as out of the water so cant report on that.
its amazing place lots of kiwis running around highly recommend a trip there.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sufishent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 9:39am
Sufishent View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Went there for a couple of nights about 10 years ago - stayed in one of the motel units at the South Sea Hotel. 

Didn't do any fishing so can't comment on that.

Did a guided tour of Ulva Island - fantastic bird life.

Hired a rental car to explore the the very few roads - and the roads are interesting to say the least. The cars each had nicknames and all had some prior bodywork repairs - but were completely safe to drive.

Drank Speights and had Blue Cod and chips in the hotel bar - yummy.

Took the ferry there and back - thank goodness the weather was good.

The folk there are very friendly but tend to look on any visitors as tourists and it soon becomes obvious as to who's local and who's an outsider :)

Billy Connolly had some intersting observations to make about Bluff but Stewart Island is so different it feels like a different world. 

Would absolutely go again if it wasn't so darn difficult to get to - and thank goodness for that.
You can never have enough fishing tackle
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Derek F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 8:49pm
Derek F View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Went there about 40 years ago and me and mate seemed to be getting into a spot of bother with locals. Then my uncle (a local) walked in....never been so pleased to see him.
And the trouble is, if you don't risk anything, you risk even more...Erica Jong
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 10:01pm
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Bit of a long shot Bazza, but if you could get in contact with the Fishing And Adventure Boys through email or  facebook I'm sure they would  share  info from there recent Fishing and Hunting Trip they did.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2020 at 10:14am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Thanx all for the info.

Was in the process of booking but was experiencing several problems namely .......

Was proving difficult to match the two flights required ie. Ak to Invercargill then Invercargill to Stewart.

Apparently at this time of year most of the legal size crays have moved offshore to deeper water so most com fishers are in recess having concentrated on filling their quota earlier on.

Likewise could prove difficult to buy paua  currently.

The oyster farms have all closed down due to a dreaded lurgy.

A real shame as had found ideal accommodation that was not only well priced but included use of a car.

Consequently have opted to postpone to a yet to be established more suitable date ( could be a spare spot for anyone interested )
in the meantime in favour of a Nth Is wilderness trip, namely http://www.gobush.co.nz/ ( once again the possibility of a spare spot )

When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!