Chaos at the ramp

Page  <123>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 5:50pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

He drove 5 mins to the ramp with the motors running??
I guess the next owner never knew that.
If he was trying to warm them he should have done that on the muffs and THEN driven 5 min to the ramp. Surely. Never occurred to him I guess.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 7:32pm
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Alan L Alan L wrote:

Which is why I run it 5-10 secs, no more than. Prob less than 5 secs.  Just enough to know it is going to fire straight away. Bouncing around in the surf trying to get the motor to kick isn't much fun. Needs to go straight off. There have been times had to haul it out again on to trailer - maybe flooded or wet plugs, maybe bad contact somewhere - went perfect last time, this time...click. etc. Not like a boat ramp. Easier said than done - especially when the tractor has disappeared down the beach with someone elses boat etc. To me, it is worth kicking it over before dropping it off the trailer.
Alan
when I went out with snappa Geoff at mokau he warms motor up at home in a drum then down road to beach in and go.
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 7:45pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I'm not trying to warm the motor up. Just making sure it will fire when I drop it in the surf. 
Alan
Plenty of time to warm it up sitting in the sets waiting for a break.
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2020 at 8:27am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

My 1st start after a week or even several weeks is.
Pump up bulb..not over pumped, too hard
Turn over for 2 to 3 seconds.. usually wants to fire.
Another couple pumps, fires straight up.

From then on it fires 1st time, instant start rest of the day.

So I see exactly Where Alan is coming from when launching in surf.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mr Moritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2020 at 1:59pm
Mr Moritz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hmmm! Impeller is driven off the drive shaft. 5 to 10 seconds at 1000 to 1200 revs per minute (idle). That is about 85 to 170 impeller revolutions...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big -Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2020 at 8:38am
Big -Dave View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Must admit I've become blase about the motor now I have a 4 stroke. I've been know to occasionally crank it a second or two if the boat has sat a while, just to make sure the battery is ok.
Mates cranking battery dies at Christmas and it was a messy launching off the beach, but switch on the connecting isolator to the house battery he was off.
you can't fix an idiot with duct tape, but it does muffle them for a while...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jiggy Jig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 2:43pm
Jiggy Jig View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Mr Moritz Mr Moritz wrote:

Remember out sailing in my Cherub class yacht. Came across a guy in a Z class yacht.
His mast had got jammed against the wing of a moored sunderland aircraft. He was in a bit of a predicament as his mast was between the two engines on the wing and held there by wind and tide. He couldn't move.
I brought my Cherub in as close as I dared, he threw me a rope, which I cleated up.
I hauled the mainsail in and sailed as close to the wind as I could and managed to extract him off the plane. Quite exciting at the time. 

That wouldn't happen every day! Good work!!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jiggy Jig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 2:56pm
Jiggy Jig View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by cirrus cirrus wrote:

Lucky you were there Kevin. Nothing is co-incidence.

Been alot of talk about steering cable failures of late.

So how do you know if this is about to happen to you.

Are there warning signs,things to watch out for.

I had a steering cable fail on me a while back, full tilt = great donut, almost lost the wife over the side. 
No obvious warning, everything felt 'normal'.
I had had my engine serviced religiously every year at a bespoke dealer.
They asked me how old the steering cable was, and when I said 5 years, they said I'd done well to get so long out of it.
Apparently engine service is just that, not steering gear as well.
I put it down to experience and probably should have known better - but tbh was fairly new to remote steering, more used to tiller steering.
I've got hydraulic steering now, but appreciate how people could easily be caught out with an unexpected steering cable failure.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 3:56pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

What.!! 5 years from a steering cable and your doing well.
Thats a worry,because that is something boat builders or dealers or service agents dont tell you.
Wonder what else they dont tell clients,things that people should know but are not told.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 5:03pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Expect the unexpected. Any time any where.
Spend enough time on the water and you will experience something new - just when you thought you had it all sorted :-)
But if that is correct - 5 yr expected life for a critical item, you would think there should be some timestamp on the system from installation - at least at a boat shop. Like changing a cam belt. You don't usually wait for them to break. DIY - up to you.
But it pays to have a plan B for that one.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 5:03pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by cirrus cirrus wrote:

Thats a worry,because that is something boat builders or dealers or service agents dont tell you.
Wonder what else they dont tell clients,things that people should know but are not told.

Sounds rather overly pessimistic ... nevertheless reckon given the number of years we have owned our boats John, it probably would be prudent to look hard at workshop inspection or renewal.  
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 5:54pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I'm pretty sure I have had more than 5 yrs from them. However ...... I have had 2 failures in the last 7-8 yrs (two boats). So maybe not so far from the mark. Bit like a cam belt I suspect. Rec change at 100k. So you get 140k and still going (changed one today - at 140k). So whats the plan - see if you can get to 160k? Damn , it failed at 150k.
One failure I had there was warning - steering getting stiff. 2nd one - no warning - working perfect and let go internally. So my thoughts are to make sure you have a plan B that you know will work. Or... replace it all at regular intervals.
Alan 
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 7:11pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hmm rem way back .. posting about correct length , tight curves etc .. like anything , correct install, regular maintenance things last long long time.

As I said before , my cable on this boat was the original.. from late 70s/ early 80s period.. installed to correct length..even thu the shorter length gave a slighty better curve.
 Warning on that one was excessive play due to inner cable wear in the curve.. which I strongly suspect would not be picked up by the ave owner.. or many service ppl.

My 1st failure was sticky getting stiff at very 1st turn of the helm...Salt build up in the engine end shaft... which I believe is part of a service. Fixing a sticky steering may just mean a little pressure on the helm then its all good for the rest of the season...you most would assume it is .. Doing this puts huge strain on the cable, inner cable and the helm worm drives, strain the system is not designed for.

Maintenance prevents these things.
And if you read your manuals , yep the do talk about regular maintenance and maintenance before parking up for the winter .. which most dont do.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 7:47pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yes - a sticking cable puts massive strain on the gear. Try pulling the cable thru when it is sticking. You can't budge it. Try swinging the motor on an even free cable - feel the load. So a sticking cable puts massive load on the steering gear. If it is getting stiff - you have a problem that needs fixing.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2020 at 8:41am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Try swinging the motor on an even free cable - feel the load

I always quick check by swinging the motor full turn to turn .. by the motor...and its a 150 V6.
The check is made when fireing up the engine check before heading out.. along with lights, gauges batteries jackets etc.

Feel the load.. what load?  turns so free and easy... my 7 yr old grandson can turn it nps.

It check from the helm..the nature of the worm drive 'leverage' one will never feel any tight spots starting.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Clutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 11:14am
Clutch View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Just picked up this drum yesterday Steps. I'll cut the top and maybe put a small notch to raise and lower the leg. Did you cut a small notch?
On second thought maybe no notch.
[​IMG]
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 11:43am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Ii was out with a guy fishing out of Kawhia on a very hot & humid day with a big lazy swell.
Shortly before crossing the bar on the port side steering cable the crimp to the steering boss shat itself.
I jury-rigged it using a marlin lure 400 lb leader. I had to lie on my back as I twisted the mono leader. Another guy came into the babin to help but he felt sea sick immediately.
Just as we started crossing the bar with some big swell (so I'm told) there was a huge rain storm and visibility was bad. I could feel the big swell and bumps and bangs but hung on for dear life.
We got in ok. The owner was doing a grey charter and was a decidedly dodgy character, as I found out later.
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 12:14pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Reading of experiencing steering cable failures has made me decide to have mine renewed.

Have owned the boat from new for approx. 10 yrs now & still has the original cable which in that time has not given any problems however nothing lasts for ever so have booked in to have it renewed.

Also recently had a new prop fitted which the service mechanic said would improve performance which it has, but in doing so appears to have put increased load on the steering so replacement probably very timely. 
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 4:03pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Just picked up this drum yesterday Steps. I'll cut the top and maybe put a small notch to raise and lower the leg. Did you cut a small notch?
On second thought maybe no notch.

I cut mine so the motor cavitaion plate sits an inch or so below the surface of the water when full.
 The tap inside is to take a bit of weight out when sliding under and out of the way...I estimated that by filling then bucketing out till became movable.. also holds the water when full.
 Note on the outside is where hose clips on to fill.
 The wood just covers a hole that the tank was used for a few decades ago
 The miss shapen top, that has been cause over the yrs by sliding under.. sorta.. then dropping motor and sort of feed the prop in by turning. Then drop the motor which either rolls the boat trailer back or slides to 3/4 full drum forward. Which ever moves the easiest at the time.
 Thats worked out well as the prop drops in rather easy now.

The oil ring around the top.. if anyone has actually winterised their engine correctly will recognise that black straight away.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2020 at 5:31pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yes, a half drum should be plenty.
Don't have a tap in mine - just siphon out.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Page  <123>