Please Help Me Decide!

Page  123>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BoatingInTheBlood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Please Help Me Decide!
    Posted: 08 Jan 2020 at 8:00am
BoatingInTheBlood View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Gidday team,

My mum and dad have always had boats and I remember having such an amazing time growing up fizzing around the Malborough Sounds.

Im at the point, and I finally have the Mrs across the line to purchase our first boat.

Here is what we are after:
  • Ideally want to buy new or near new around the 50k mark
  • Preference is Fi glass construction
  • This will be a fishing, water sports platform
  • Need a small cabin for the kids and ability to get out of the weather if needed. Kids are 6 and 9.
  • Ideally, want it to be very easy to launch and retrieve.
This is what we are looking at the moment:
  • Figlass Cavalier with a 115 4-stroke
  • Huntsman 550 with 90 Yamy 4-stroke
  • Fi glass Lightening with a 115 4 stroke CT (slightly dearer)
Guys really need some feedback on these choices or, choices that you think are fit for purpose.

Thanks in advance!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2020 at 8:21am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Kid grow very quick, then there is a time before the grandchildren come around on the seen

5.5m for 2 adults plus 2 childeren fine, but get to mid colage can count them as adults in size, plus the odd friend.
 Longer term go around the 6m size.
 F/Glass good choice for softer ride and comfort.. less chine slap on over nighters.

Look for a hull with a steep angle upto the top of the bow for good salt water comfort if it chops up along with going max hp for the hull or at least very close to it.

Maybe haines added to the list??
The rest is what layout best suits your personal requirements.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2020 at 8:34am
OneWayTraffic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I haven't been on any of those, so I'll give more general advice.

Very easy to launch and retrieve comes down to experience and trailer setup mainly, and the place you go. I am the only one in my family who can back a trailer and drive a boat. Information about where in the country you are and ramp conditions would help. Due to my own situation I used a 3.5m plastic dinghy of Manu bay in Raglan. I fitted wheels to the back and dropped it on the ramp. Then I could wheel it in and go 10km offshore.  There is always a way. 

Fibreglass boats in the 5+ metre range get heavy. Can you tow and launch 1000kg+ of boat motor and trailer? Screwups will damage the nice new gelcoat, where alunimium is more forgiving. It's a big ask for a guy with young kids to do all that himself; how handy is your wife? 

The flip side to longer heavier boats is that they ride better than short light ones. 

In addition to your list I would consider the Seaforce Mate530. Very sharp looking boat and flotation collars out the sides. 

Importantly, whatever you do don't go to the ramp on a busy weekend for your first attempt to launch! You don't need a crowd of impatient people behind while you figure out a launch routine. You will need a routine, or you will launch without the bungs. Happens to most of us sooner or later. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DIY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2020 at 8:39am
DIY View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Check out Seaforce boat, I just bought a 530 Ute and so happy with it. Got a 140 on the back.
Oh what a smasher - two eggs and a rasher!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote letsgetem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2020 at 9:20am
letsgetem View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Ive got a Figlass Firestar (5.3m). I am very happy with the quality, design, and value for money. I think Figlasses are below average in cost.
A year ago It cost $47,000 - including about $3000 for anchor winch (including anchor and warp).
I was able to get it customised to my requirements. One thing I would do differently now - instead of carpet inside the floor and all the walls, I ordered a hard surface that would be easier to keep clean) - they used a hard grey finish with a white stipple coat over, that looks good and is easy to clean. But I left the floor as smooth fibreglass, and had to paint it to non-slip. The paint is peeling off. I would recommend getting the floor in the same grey and white as the rest of the inside.
Apart from that, I am rapt.
If you can afford more and don't mind the heavier and wider and longer trailer, a Cavalier or Lightning would be excellent.
One thing I like particularly, is the deep vee hull at 22 degrees, which does provide a softer ride than a flatter hull.
The Firestar is not a particularly heavy boat - I think the boat and motor weighs about 750kg, and including trailer about 1000kg, which can be towed by a 2.5L car. By comparison I had a Haines 545 that weighed 400kg more.
Launching and retrieving - I do mostly by myself. No problem at the concrete ramp - but if I try launching off a beach, its tricky, due to needing the boat held while I get the trailer. If I simply leave the boat in the water, its probably pushed up onto the sand when I return. Ideally need a second person to hold it; or otherwise put the anchor down, which is sometimes problematic too.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2020 at 12:16am
Platinum
Platinum

750kg for a 5.3m boat. Not bad for fibreglass. Compare the wood core version I have started building. Should be even less. Time will tell.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JustAnotherSpearo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2020 at 6:49am
JustAnotherSpearo View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Not trying to be rude in anyway personal opinion here but buy something second hand. Thats a heap of coin to throw into a first boat that could potentially not satisfy you or the missus.

Jump on trademe and just look at the number of boats that hardly get used bought new and then they try to get there money back and they never sell because they are asking too much.

Not saying you may not use it. But just think whether you care about the resale / potential loss youll take later on down the road.

My 10cents would be second hand haines / tristram / smuggler. Goodluck on the decision
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Garry 23041 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2020 at 6:59am
Garry 23041 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I agree with Justanotherspero. My uncle recently sold a nice immaculate glass boat for pennies on the dollar compared to new. Plus you can often get a good win with extra gear thrown in and it costs a lot to buy the extra stuff. If you aren't hung up on new there may be a garage queen out there with your name on it :).
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BoatingInTheBlood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2020 at 7:02am
Bronze
Bronze

No not rude at all!

I hear what you are saying and definitely looking at the second hand market too. 

Just lucky to have a wife who is a Surgeon ;)

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote neil_cb125t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2020 at 8:38am
neil_cb125t View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi Hi,

I was pretty much where you are at 3 months ago - I had the exact same requirements for my boat. I have ordered a Seaforce 530 (5.6m overall length) UTE as well as the smart gentleman above. I looked at second hand but worked out a great deal with the company to make my budget of sub 45k work for a new beast.

The things I looked at the most was safety, weight but usable room specifically for fishing. I did have width limitations (due std garage) needed to be be sub 2.4m on a trailer.

Seaforce being pontoon made it able to float full of water.....safety tick. Hull weight of a 530 ute is 500kg.....very light lighter than a 575/545 Surtees Ali boat.......people would say glass boats are heavy, some are Haines etc will be therefore you'll need a bigger car to tow it and bigger motor to push it.

I looked at Alis like Surtees and Mclay as they have the most room for fishing. I measured the "fishing deck space" of the surtees 5.75/5.45/4.95s etc. The deck space in the seaforce 530 ute is Larger than all three. Usable room on the UTE model is unbeatable in a sub 6m glass boat thats skinnier than 2.4m. If I was going Ali Id go Mclay, thats another thread thou......

A boat that should not be overlooked is a reflex, The 485 have more space than all above! But are over 2.4m wide on a trailer, they are made in china and seem to be thought to be low end boating. The Reflex 515 has less deck room than the 485, due fancy seating and cabin up front to be able to lie down in. the 565 or 585 has sim room as the 585 in the back but is a much bigger boat overall. The 485s start new for about 45k

I initially thought I wanted a 6.0m boat, but the reality was I needed to be able to launch solo and didnt want a landcruiser to tow it and a hangar to store it. My Wifey is a novice boater so the smaller boat is going to be easier for my family to use....aka me to run them to enjoy.

For you I would look at the 530 mate https://www.seaforce.co.nz/530-mate or Ute version. Every review states they are amazing, they also won best sub 6m boat when they were released.

Im putting a suzuki 100hp (2.0 litre block same as 115/140hp) on mine, Rick from seaforce says they will do 62kph with a honda 80hp on em with 2 adults....... The gent selling one on TM with a 115 merc says his will do 40knts.....so they will perform. I nearly purchased it....but went new as I said before.

Make sure shes a 4 stroke that you put on it, seems no one wants smokers anymore, regardless on how many hours they have done or how good a 2 stroke (smoker) is.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2020 at 10:39am
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Exciting times, buying your first boat.

Very good advice from Justanotherspearo and Garry, and also wise words from Letsgetem.

My neighbour across the road has a lovely mid 5m Buccanneer bought for exactly the same use and family situation as you describe. A few years later, it now sits pretty much unused under a carport while he's got himself a jetski to keep his fishing fix going.

Turns out the wife and family weren't as keen to get out regularly as they initially thought. When they did got out in the first period of owning it, they almost never used the shelter of the cabin "for the kids to lie down". So that 1/3 to 1/2 of the boat isn't effective space. 

He can't launch and handle it by himself - too much boat.
They go on a very occasional biscuit zoom as a family, but nowhere near as often as they dreamed of initially. 

He often talks about his regret that he didn't get the boat he really wanted to suit his fishing.

So I guess the message I have is to make sure you have your needs really clear, gaze into the future a bit, and then go with what suits you best within those parameters. Sounds like re-sell, depreciation etc isn't an issue. Fantastic!!

I have two friends with the FiGlass Lightning - I was impressed when I went out on theirs. Good ride and interior comfort. 

Good luck.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BoatingInTheBlood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2020 at 11:02am
Bronze
Bronze

Cheers fellas.

Good options there to look at. The reason for the options to hide in the cabin is the terrible Christchurch gusts sometimes and the changable weather.

Over the last few days Ive opened up my search to the Ramco 5800 and Reflex Chianti - both different in there own rights for sure!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote neil_cb125t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2020 at 12:11pm
Silver
Silver

Pictures for reference for size and spec/space. totally agree with the comment of the first 1/3 a1/2 of the cabin on most glass boats being a waste. I noticed that on Haines and buccaneers. Normally need a bigger boat to get that fishing space. Which means heavy and harder to handle.

I feel the seaforce is future proofed against the above.

When I wanted the 6m job it was for what you mentioned before. “ in the bad seas or weather etc. “.

Ask yourself . . . . Would you take the wife and kids out on a windy rough day?? My answer was no. So that requirement was redundant for me.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote neil_cb125t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2020 at 12:18pm
Silver
Silver

This is the ute version. The 530mate has more of a cabin.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BoatingInTheBlood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2020 at 1:26pm
Bronze
Bronze

Nice mate. Certainly a good platform. Whats it go like with towing a ski biscuit? No issues I am guessing?

Have people in my ear saying 'when you go to sell, it will be difficult with a Seaforce' - my answer to them is - the end game isnt to resale and make sure I get it close to the buy price!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2020 at 2:26pm
Platinum
Platinum

Seaforce have a pretty good rep, just not as much name recognition. They are also Hamilton based; I would think if buying new that a local company would be a bit easier in case there are any issues. You couldn't go wrong with a figlass, Raeline or reflex. All local to CHCH.

Here's a thought. Sounds like your wife has a good income, though I don't know what you do. What about a sealegs, or one of the Mclays with the wheels. Then launching and retrieving is a total non issue. 

I know what the choice is like for buying boats. In the end I decided that I didn't want to compromise so am building my own. I have total control over the inside layout. 

I am thinking about getting a canvas cover for the cabin so I can have it open or closed depending. Convertible!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JustAnotherSpearo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2020 at 6:20pm
JustAnotherSpearo View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

What sort of tow vehicle do you have is also a consideration to think about?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BoatingInTheBlood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2020 at 7:10pm
Bronze
Bronze

Tow vehicle is a 2019 Peugeot 3008.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote old timer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2020 at 7:45pm
old timer View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

One thing I would say is that if you want a reasonable cabin make sure the the boat has pedal stall seats not back to back. In a 5.5m boat or smaller it takes up far too much room. Also look for a reasonable beam. Most boats spend more time at rest then moving. Tippy boats at rest suck.
I have always liked the sea nymph 566 design with the seats along the back that double as fish bins.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RogueOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2020 at 8:02pm
RogueOne View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Have a look at the Reflex Chianti models- 530 or 585 might work for you
Page  123>