Please Help Me Decide!

Page  <123>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BoatingInTheBlood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2020 at 8:12am
BoatingInTheBlood View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Cheers for the suggestions team.

Spoke to Ric @ Seaforce and they look to have some good packages up at the moment - although, the Honda 4-stroke isn't my favourite engine maker, they seem to be well respected.

Going to look at the Cavalier and the Huntsman Dorado and 550 to compare the pluses and minus again and have a solid walk through.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2020 at 9:50am
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by BoatingInTheBlood BoatingInTheBlood wrote:

No not rude at all!

I hear what you are saying and definitely looking at the second hand market too. 

Just lucky to have a wife who is a Surgeon ;)

Oh goody canshedo a deal onankle??acc want no part of it.Happy boat hunting
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote BoatingInTheBlood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2020 at 10:46am
Bronze
Bronze

Hahah she is a breast surgeon mate so....

A little off there!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote old timer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2020 at 11:38am
old timer View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by pjc pjc wrote:

No not rude at all!

I hear what you are saying and definitely looking at the second hand market too. 

Just lucky to have a wife who is a Surgeon ;)

Oh goody canshedo a deal onankle??acc want no part of it.Happy boat hunting

You could get a pair of them in. It might take your mind off your ankle
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2020 at 4:49pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hahah she is a breast surgeon mate so....

Side note.. a lot of wives  go off the boats because of certain body parts dont carry well in chop.. and a lot of skippers are not aware of that.Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote neil_cb125t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2020 at 6:50pm
neil_cb125t View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Cheers for the suggestions team.

Spoke to Ric @ Seaforce and they look to have some good packages up at the moment - although, the Honda 4-stroke isn't my favourite engine maker, they seem to be well respected.

Going to look at the Cavalier and the Huntsman Dorado and 550 to compare the pluses and minus again and have a solid walk through.

I agree. I have a good relationship with a a guy at Suzuki so changed the honda out for a suzy. Honda seem heavy and a tad dated in my opinion. It does create another step for me to get the boat and then the engine fitted post but that’s just the way it goes.

Good luck shopping around. It’s Defo worth it when you find the one!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BoatingInTheBlood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2020 at 7:46am
Bronze
Bronze

Update - ready to throw the switch on a FiGlass Lightining. 115 CT Merc, good fit out and extras - Simrad sounder/plotter ++

Thanks for everyones advice on this - been a massive help!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2020 at 9:51am
Joker View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Update - ready to throw the switch on a FiGlass Lightining. 115 CT Merc, good fit out and extras - Simrad sounder/plotter ++

Thanks for everyones advice on this - been a massive help!
Big plus on the motor - its becoming quite legendary motor especially the CT version.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Keithal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2020 at 1:52pm
Keithal View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Good choice on the hull and everybody seems to love the CT mercs but the 115 seems on the smaller side for a 5.8m boat

If you can stretch to a 135 it will make life far easier for deep water starting with the water toys as kids and there friends grow up and out

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 9:02am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good choice on the hull and everybody seems to love the CT mercs but the 115 seems on the smaller side for a 5.8m boat

If you can stretch to a 135 it will make life far easier for deep water starting with the water toys as kids and there friends grow up and out

Agree 115 is just above min good power for a 1200kg gross weight on water boat.. thats ball park a 5.5m rayglass 3 adults ave 80kg gas etc, or a 5.5m Sea nymph loaded the same.
 !40 is very nicely powered and 150 a little over powered.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BoatingInTheBlood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 9:13am
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks team - will price up the 135 and see where it stands.

We do most of our boating in Christchurch/Lakes/Malbourough Sounds - lots of pockets of shallows.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 10:32am
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The 135 is 206kg, and that's with a 20" shaft, 25" for the FiGlass presumably around 211kg. Maximum transom weight for the Lightning is 200kg. It's only 11kg but would that affect your hull warranty? Big motor at 3 litres for (only?) 135hp. Means it will be very laid-back and presumably extremely reliable. 

Comparable Suzuki (DF140A) is a 2 litre and 184kg. Honda 135 ate too many Christmas mince pies, 217kg (for a short shaft too?).

Review boat with a 115 Pro XS managed 38kn (likely lightly loaded) and 28kn cruise @ 3800rpm. Seems like plenty of up-and-go to me.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BoatingInTheBlood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 11:30am
Bronze
Bronze

Yes.

The more I read, the more I see the 115 the perfect size for the Lighting - for all purposes. CT seems to have a bloody great write up!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2020 at 10:10pm
OneWayTraffic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

As long as it gets up 115 will be enough. Not to say that more wouldn't be better. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 10:15am
Joker View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The Merc 115 CT is a high displacement 2.1lt grunty motor and will be a very good match for that size of boat without paying the weight penalty of the next engine size up.
On my FC560 C/C which is quite a heavilly built boat the 115CT accelleration is startling and if your not holding on then you are on your ass.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 10:34am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The Merc 115 CT is a high displacement 2.1lt grunty motor and will be a very good match for that size of boat without paying the weight penalty of the next engine size up.

I actually agree , in spite of my previous post above...

It seems there has been quite some dispute about 2S And 4S actual advertised power ratings.
I have maintained the modern 4s has between 10 and 15% more power than the actual rating on a equivalent 2S.
 Yet a modern 115 4S  punches along a boat as good as  a Modern 130/ 135 hp 2s
 Apply Newtons law...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bigfishbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 1:54pm
Bigfishbob View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I have a Merc 115 CT ProXS on my extreme 570/605 Gameking. As others have said it's got plenty of torque which results in get up and Go. My engine just clicked over 200 hours and in general has been a great engine. 

The golden rule here is Displacement = Torque= Prop diameter X pitch. or as is often said, there is no replacement for displacement, or no substitute for cubes. 

Be wary of HP figures, remember HP is a product of Torque and revs, some engines get their HP just from revving harder and subsequently have less mid range Torque. Others do it with cams and engine control, such as Yamaha, be aware these engines are working harder to give the Hp you think you are getting. The Merc 135 is a 3litre V6 as others have said, while the Honda is 2.3 litre straight four, and the Suzuki is a 2 litre straight four, that performs very similarly to the 115, but has about 300-400 top end revs, maybe a little more mid range torque. Note that only he Yamaha, Suzuki and Merc fall inside your stern weight limit.

Have a look at Spence's thread here where he compares modern 150hp engines. He uses this (https://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/offroad/cert/cert.php?) website to get all his numbers and mid range torque numbers. 

www.waikatosportfishing.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RC1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2020 at 8:36pm
RC1 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Bigfishbob Bigfishbob wrote:

I have a Merc 115 CT ProXS on my extreme 570/605 Gameking. As others have said it's got plenty of torque which results in get up and Go. My engine just clicked over 200 hours and in general has been a great engine. 

The golden rule here is Displacement = Torque= Prop diameter X pitch. or as is often said, there is no replacement for displacement, or no substitute for cubes. 

Be wary of HP figures, remember HP is a product of Torque and revs, some engines get their HP just from revving harder and subsequently have less mid range Torque. Others do it with cams and engine control, such as Yamaha, be aware these engines are working harder to give the Hp you think you are getting. The Merc 135 is a 3litre V6 as others have said, while the Honda is 2.3 litre straight four, and the Suzuki is a 2 litre straight four, that performs very similarly to the 115, but has about 300-400 top end revs, maybe a little more mid range torque. Note that only he Yamaha, Suzuki and Merc fall inside your stern weight limit.

Have a look at Spence's thread here where he compares modern 150hp engines. He uses this (https://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/offroad/cert/cert.php?) website to get all his numbers and mid range torque numbers. 

Incorrect the Mercury 135 is an inline 4 cylinder not a V6, the Honda is a 2.4litre not 2.3. Honda 150 and the Yamaha are the same weight 220kgs.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bigfishbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2020 at 10:58am
Bigfishbob View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by RC1 RC1 wrote:

Originally posted by Bigfishbob Bigfishbob wrote:

Incorrect the Mercury 135 is an inline 4 cylinder not a V6, the Honda is a 2.4litre not 2.3. Honda 150 and the Yamaha are the same weight 220kgs.

Yep correct, not even sure why I said it was a V6!
www.waikatosportfishing.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote notalloyit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2020 at 3:58pm
notalloyit View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Fi Glass quite tender, also look through the hull into sunshine, they appear quite thin.
sea force would be my choice.
BNS Design & Print LTD 0800 733 000   for all printing needs, special rates for website members. Free freight NZ wide.
Page  <123>