A windy but fun straylinine sesh in the far north

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nzfishwhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A windy but fun straylinine sesh in the far north
    Posted: 07 Jan 2020 at 6:44pm
nzfishwhisperer View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

With a bit of wind hanging around we were limited to where we could fish in the little FC430 for the day but that's the great thing about the north there is always some where to fish no matter the direction of the wind. We went back to the basics and headed up the harbour to a nice little channel we like to fish, it was going to be the good ole bait n berley sesh. This spot can hold some nice fish at times and this time of year the harbour can fill up with top condition double fig fish and even the smaller mods are usually that 40-45cm which is still a good fish and a top eating table fish. Arriving at our spot it was a little choppy but nothing the little FC couldn't handle, dropping the berley Stevo was first to hook up (also to the berley) which helped him lose the fish. His second was a Kahawai which was something we always try to catch when fishing up here - this means big fresh baits. It didn't take long for that usual fishing we get in the Harbour, double hook ups and getting smashed. The chunks of Kahawai were working a treat, even if you managed to drop a hooked fish you just let the bait settle and waited for another grab. We were only in a few mtrs so we let go fish as fast as they came aboard, it's always good to be able to pick and choose the fish you want to keep. Most times we keep the wounded, the ones that swallow the hook and try to release the strong to fight another day. I gave the Okuma Avenger 55b a good thrashing, I've been using it now for a good few months and sometimes forget to use the feeder mechanism, it worked a treat and something I should be using a lot more. With the tide turned the chop settled, I hooked into a nice fish but dropped it mid fight. With the tide running again the bites died away, this can happen sometimes get them one tide and not the other. Being the late arvo it didn't really make sense, letting more line out I would get the odd bite then nothing. This alerted me that the bait wasn't staying on the bottom, letting line out it would make it then the fish would bite only to raise it off the bottom again. Although I hate fishing heavy sinkers I know when this happens I need to add weight, going to a 3oz it was all go again. It was another fun sesh in the Harbour and with 6-7 in the bin that was all we needed so called it a day. Ya just gotta love NZ sometimes and the fishing in the north very rarely lets you down. Tight lines