When does having a camera on every trawler come in

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fish-feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: When does having a camera on every trawler come in
    Posted: 07 Jan 2020 at 3:38pm
fish-feeder View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I was just wondering as I have a friend that says even smaller fishermen like mullet fishermen have to have cameras and gps to log catches already?
dont get my personality mixed up with my attitude,my personality is me,my attitude depends on you.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2020 at 5:24pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hopefully yesterday.

To deal with the arseholes and revere the competent and morally sound fisherman.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2020 at 8:13am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

There have been a few small competent and morally sound fisherman...covered in the news recently who voluntarily have live coverage (at their own cost) of what is happening on their boats...

And yet the pollies still dont have the balls to simply say to the industry " coverage tomorrow or you dont leave the dock.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2020 at 12:46pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I believe stage 1 is for vessels fishing where maui/hector dolphins are,when will it happen??how long is a piece of string.

How we're rolling out on-board cameras

New Zealand regulations for on-board cameras on commercial fishing vessels came into effect in 2018.

Since then, we’ve been developing the systems and processes to support this, and are now putting cameras on some fishing vessels. The regulations will apply to these vessels from 1 November 2019 in a defined fishing area on the west coast of the North Island.

Currently, a holding date of 1 July 2020 has been set before the on-board camera regulations apply to other commercial fishing vessels.

Verification and monitoring will be more important in some fisheries than others. The 1 November roll-out prioritises commercial fishing vessels with the greatest risk of encountering the critically endangered Māui dolphin.

This roll-out of on-board cameras will allow us time to refine systems and processes before we consider expanding the camera programme across more of the commercial fishing fleet.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2020 at 4:51pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yes quite impressive that some guys are doing it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2020 at 8:23pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

This roll-out of on-board cameras will allow us time to refine systems and processes before we consider expanding the camera programme across more of the commercial fishing fleet.

Sounds far from certain to me.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2020 at 3:29pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Sounds far from certain to me.

Yep pollies with no balls..
Was reading a news article the other day, something about fast food outlets have another 4 or 5 yrs to conform to no plastic recyclable packaging..

Really when the technology, the pine trees for the paper are already there...and 4 or 5 yrs to conform??
And as if they didnt know the writing was on the wall 10 yrs ago like the supermarkets...

Now if fast food, or be it trawlers where simple told.. legislated  that do it by the end of the yr.. or even 6 months..ALL further DISCUSSION or CONSULTATION has ended, or dont open your doors or not leave port  do you really think they will go broke or conform?
 If go broke.. well they knew it was coming, head in the sand is bad business ethic..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2020 at 3:33pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

If they go broke because of a few $k fitting a camera, they don't have a sustainable business. And whats more it would be tax deductable and GST refundable. 50% of the cost gone already.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2020 at 3:59pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

If they go broke because of a few $k fitting a camera, they don't have a sustainable business. And whats more it would be tax deductable and GST refundable. 50% of the cost gone already.

Thats very well thought thru...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2020 at 4:38pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

It is simply not a plausible excuse. That cannot be the reason why they don't want them.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2020 at 5:24pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

My question is why do our legislators dont want them to have them?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2020 at 5:41pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well, last I heard Nash he was most likely parroting what the Comms told him. Not sure if the technology is up to it, and the cost for the small guys.
The technology seems to have been working OK across the ditch for years. There must be a tech issue this side of the ditch.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2020 at 5:59pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Alan just take Karl from down your way,simple set up live stream to web and his customers get to see him in action,as he said"nothing to hide here"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2020 at 9:10pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hmm - must be too difficult for Sandfords??
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2020 at 11:03pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Alan L Alan L wrote:

Hmm - must be too difficult for Sandfords??
Alan
https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/new-zealand/hawkes-bay-commercial-fisherman-installs-live-camera-boat-public-get-close-up-look-industry

Remember same guy that introduced to his net away of keeping fish alive and able to release,never got backing from MPI

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2020 at 6:56am
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

He has backing from NIWA (think it is them) to further develop the methods now. They are collaborating with him. Funny how it comes from the other way round. The research/science guys tagging on to the innovation done by the smallest of commercial guys. Shouldn't it be the other way round? Who has the greater resources?
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2020 at 7:01am
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

"Fisheries Inshore Chief Executive Jeremy Helson says cameras are too costly.“It's a new technology, it will get cheaper but I think we need to be a bit more measured to where we apply them in the first instance," he says.But isn’t shutting the idea down completely.“I think it demystifies what happens at sea, I think it’s pretty misunderstood what goes on over the horizon,” says Mr Helson."
But apparently not worth the cost of installing a camera.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2020 at 7:55am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well, last I heard Nash he was most likely parroting what the Comms told him.

Not just Nash.. has been the minister going back a few government terms .. both parties... and if throw in all the other 'issues' 
 Decades.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big -Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2020 at 8:31am
Big -Dave View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

A decent enough hard drive would store the footage and down load it when they return to port, so having cellular coverage shouldn't be an excuse.
And... it should record their position.

Enough of the stalling excuses.
you can't fix an idiot with duct tape, but it does muffle them for a while...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2020 at 8:46am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

They (including tankers Coast Guard, oil rig supply ships, tugs, private ships/ boats.. and of coarse planes) already use sat. to communicate position and tracks.
So cell coverage  is not an issue or even needed....

EG right now there are 3 fishing vessels out off the Manukau..around thw 1350m marks.. another around the 700m and the Taharoa Destiny  about 15nm sth of it
Another off Kawhia 75m

Page  12>