What rods are guys using for fishing sliders

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What rods are guys using for fishing sliders
    Posted: 06 Jan 2020 at 7:05pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Just checking out what rods people are using for fishing sliders. I’m using a Shimano T-CURVE Revolution Vertical Series I purchased a few years back so just looking around to see what’s new.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2020 at 7:41pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Slight disclaimer, I don't use sliders that much, but I do use inchiku as my main method for at least 6 months of the year. I have a Shimano T-Curve which is fine, but relegated to heavier work these days for lures over 100g. For lures 100g or lighter, I use an Ocean Angler Bender. It has a super soft fibreglass tip. I don't believe this rod gives me more bites, but it does convert more bites in to fish as fewer are bumped off. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2020 at 7:44pm
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

I use my own design, built using Japanese toray carbon with nano composites, all fuji guides and reelseat. 6' 5" long, softish tip but blank loads up nice, very progressive taper.
I have 2 models, 1 rated to jigs to 260g and a lighter rated to 150g
Great value at $269 compared to what else is around.
I think 90% of my customers have bought a second one for family or friends
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2020 at 8:15pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I use a cheapie $200 shimano soft bait set. It works fine. To me sliders require very little technique and feel is most important so I use light braid.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2020 at 8:41pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks guys, I brought the Tcurve 10 year ago for bottomship jigs. Been great and works fine for sliders just want to see what’s new:
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote viscount Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2020 at 6:03am
viscount View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I’m using a palms metal witch which I got out of Japan, made for all madai and kabura jigs, caught kings to 10k on it, very impressive.
Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job - Paul Schullery
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote G R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2020 at 8:15am
G R View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

K-Labs
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2020 at 10:48am
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Shimano Grappler. Soft tip, oodles of grunt down low. Fishes the heavier Kabura I use around here (120-200g) nicely.

I do have my eyes on a Jigstar Tai Kabura though. Lovely feeling rod, especially the spin one with a Shimano Vanquish on it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Espresso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2020 at 8:34am
Espresso View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

The Kabura has little or no action as part of the design and its fishing success, the rod used is generally not a significant part of the equation.
A dedicated Kabura or Tai Rubber style rod can use a different approach to landing bigger fish i.e. using the reel drag only with the rod pointed at the fish, as the rod is extremely light and unable to be used as a lever like most rods. Just a different technique.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2020 at 9:04am
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

So it looks like the shorter rods with a fine tip are still the preferred option. A guy at hunting and fishing was telling me the newer rods are a lot lighter in the tip than my older rod which was designed for bottomship jigs not sliders, which makes sense sliders weren’t around then. I thought he was a good salesman.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2020 at 9:22am
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

For jigs where the angler has to impart the action (Bottomship/Inchiku, slow-pitch) you need a bit of "kick" in the tip to actually work the jig, especially if there's a bit of depth or current to contend with. For Kabura you almost want a rod that will dampen any inputs from the angler (or motion of the boat) to get the most natural action from the lure. I just use a slow retrieve, although sometimes I mix it up to a very slow 1/4 pitch retrieve (without any rod lift).
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2020 at 9:36am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Maybe I've been doing it wrong for many years, but no one told the snapper. I fish inchiku in exactly the same way as kabura. No action required, just a slow retrieve, or occasionally a lift and wind, so a soft tip is good. Slow pitch on the other hand do require a bit of action, so I prefer a stiffer tip.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Accident Prone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2020 at 10:26am
Accident Prone View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Has anyone used or own one of the following models?

Diawa
TD Black Kohga 66HB
TD Black Pirate 66XHB

Shimano
Engetsu BB B69mhs
Game Engetsu B610mhs

Currently looking for a mid range rod suitable for slow jigs (pirates/bottom ship) and kabura style lures to work a range of weights from about 50-150gm and typically in depths of 30-50m.

Had a bend of the Game Engetsu yesterday which felt like it had a perfect soft tip and it's weight range was spot on but it felt like it lacked a bit of backbone.

Anyone else recommend a rod to suit for up to around $500.

Cheers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2020 at 11:26am
tjm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice
Cant beat hunting and Fishing in N.Z
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Motorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2020 at 1:00pm
Motorhead View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I fish sliders with a softbait rod placed in the rod holder. Leave it there doing it’s thing while I carry on soft baiting.
Seems to work quite well if there is drift and a swell.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2020 at 10:28am
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Accident Prone Accident Prone wrote:

Anyone else recommend a rod to suit for up to around $500.

Cheers.

Check out the Jig Star Slow Jerk Acid 603-3.
Or maybe even the 603-2 (though it is rated to 120g max and a bit of a noodle).
I fished a 603-3 recently with a OJ1500 on it, lovely combo for Inchiku and Kabura, sadly it now resides in about 70m off Kapiti Island.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote viscount Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2020 at 5:34am
viscount View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Accident prone go look on plat or digitaka you can find some cheaper rods for kabura/ tai rubber, Daiwa have some that are around 170 kiwi landed to your door and there fast.
Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job - Paul Schullery
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Barbary B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2020 at 10:22am
Barbary B View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Because I fish the kaburas mainly in rod holders (on the up drift side of the boat) I use relatively short veratas rods. The main advantages are full rod length curve when a fish strikes which starts playing the fish while you are getting your downdrift rods sorted out. The other advantage is the price point - good quality rod for a good price.
"Look ahead, look astern, look to weather, look to lea
Look down along the coast of High Barbary..."
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 5:43pm
tjm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Just going back through some old posts during the end of the lock down and I found this topic. Early last year I started to use sliders almost exclusively especially in the gulf. Id talked a bit to the guys at Yeehaa in Akl and one of them recommended my Now favorite rod / reel combo. I have used this for over a year now and rate it very highly with great success on Snapper and some King fish that have hooked up on the sliders. Super Tornado 60B XUL jig 60-150 PEO 6-2.5 power 90 8kg  60 14kg with a JM 00695 reel Now no doubt this may be over kill and not necessarily designed for this type of fishing but I've found that this rig generally out performs our other set ups by 2 to 1 in hook ups. Its a fairly light set up which may contribute to its success but if you do hook up on a larger fish it has the power to get it in. Cost wise I'm guessing its mid to upper end.
Cant beat hunting and Fishing in N.Z
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 9:46pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

TJM, sliders are very productive on gurnard. flick one out the back with a squid tentacle  - only needs to be a little bit - put the rod in the holder and actively fish another rod. 
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Page  12>